General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

All you M6 people

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation All you M6 people

SO i know this is going to sound stupid but i have never drove a stick car and i looking at buying a Ls1(have a V6 now) and its stick. How long does it take to learn to drive is it difficult? I live in Ohio will i have a serious problem driving in snow over a automatic?

Thanks

Chris
Old 10-22-2008, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

dont drive an f-body in the snow. 1) you will ruin the car 2) they dont handle worth a **** in the snow. Buy the ls1 car and a cheap *** front wheel drive beater for the winter.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pfft. if my wife could dd the car in sig in central indiana, i don't think this ole boy will have any trouble.

just drive with some sense, as always, and you'll be fine.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All you can do is practic, are there many hill where you live ?

Try and learn by not riding the clutch too much, else you may as well schedule a new clutch to be install soon.

Some poeple have no problem learning, some just can't seem to use to feet at the same time going in two different directions.

I have driven clutch car in the snow for years... and don't have a problem, you just have to learn how your car handles.. Having a high power cam with little low RPM TQ can make it more harder to learn and drive. If it is stock, that would be the best to learn with before you start making mod's.

Just get some good winter/snow tire and you shouldn't be too bad.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Teching In

I learned to drive stick in my '01 Z28. Learning the basics took all of an hour or so of practice. Overall it wasn't all that difficult to learn on, frankly I had a lot more trouble with the powerful V8 and RWD than I did the manual tranny. Just be careful in the rain. Sadly I wrecked shortly after I got it while driving home on the highway in a really nasty storm. Someone with more experience probably would have been able to correct for it when the rear wheels lost traction and the car went into a spin, but I didn't have any such experience and nailed a wall, killing a car that I loved more than most of my immediate family...

So yeah, practice on some empty roads at night, and take it slow in the bad weather and you'll be fine.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

My first manual was a 430rwhp LT1 car, i was nervous (18 at the time) but it doesnt even take a day to get it down...you should be fine. They are a lot more fun than the autos in my opinion.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Manual=Easy.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Launching!

hey
i learned to drive stick on a lt1 6 speed took about 1 month (weekends for 1 hour tops) to get to the point where i was able to go on the streets, learn on someone elses car, but my .02 is to stall car instead of grinding up ur clutch
Old 10-22-2008, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

I learned in a 68 Chevelle Muncie 4 speed with a 3.73 12 bolt rear, I bought it and i hopped in and had to drive it 400 miles... That compared to my WS6 the ws6 is the most simplest car i ever driven stick in.
I learned as i went its not hard at all, My one friend thats a girl drove my car up and down the road, It is almost impossible to stall If you could get the car out of first gear with never touching the gas. It will be Easy to learn you will pick it up within a half hour, Practice going up a STEEP hill, You will never learn if you dont try, after getting a manual car i refuse to go automatic again, it is now just like an automatic you dont have to think about it.
For the snow I drove a 78 corvette in a snow covered road, there were about 4inches on the road, that was horrible, then drove my chevelle in the snow, but i refuse to let my 00 ws6 see the snow. But if you drop your tire pressure and drive slow and cautious you will be fine, Expect the car to fishtail and slide so plan for it. I couldnt even give my corvette gas without spinning and fishtailing, and i live on back roads i drove 10 miles an hour and was very careful, but my advise is dont take it in the snow, I took my past two cars in the snow and now I refuse to let my new one go out there in it, its not worth the risk and damage to the car for one day, its worth waiting it out.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i wouldnt drive an f-body in the snow...driving stick is very easy to pick up and should not take you any more than a few hours to learn
Old 10-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

i drive my M6 in Indiana in the the snow, just get all season rear tires before winter or sumthing. i got 2 BF KDWS' they are great in snow.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

I learned to drive my manual z-28...as i drove it off the lot! Seriously its not that difficult. Prior to purchasing the car ask them if you can drive it around the lot for a little while so you get used to it. Then pick the car up when you know the roads will be dead (aka not at 8am or 5pm) and drive her home! As for driving in the snow its def not easy but if your careful and get some good tires (as stated above) you should be ok.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like Frostbitten said, if you can take off without using the gas on level ground you've pretty much got it.

I've taught over 10 people how to drive manuals. Find a friend with a manual car and take it to a big flat parking lot and just practice taking off without using the gas. Take off about 10 times without stalling and then start using the gas a little bit to take off a little faster. Once you feel good with that, head out on a quiet road somewhere to get a better feel and you're pretty much set. Longest it ever took someone to learn was an hour, some got it within 10 minutes. Taking off on some steep hills might take a little more practice tho
Old 10-22-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

My LT1 years ago would just sit and spin if there was even a coating of snow on the ground. Glad i don't have to deal with that **** anymore
Old 10-22-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

you'll learn in no time...i didn't know **** about stick cars when i bought my Z28...the next day after i bought it i already had it down! you'll be just fine man
Old 10-22-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

Easiest way to learn is to press the far right pedal as far as possible and then let the far left pedal out as fast as possible.......
Old 10-22-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

I learn't to a drive a stick in my Dad's TA (M6/LS1), then I picked up my WS6 that I have now. Now today, with the mods I have (see sig), my girlfriend drives my car with a SPEC 3+ clutch in it(trusting I know). She drives an auto Jetta.

It just takes some practice, not hard at all, be patient. I'am in FL so I don't have to worry about the weather conditions that you were talking about or hills for that matter, just steep incline at a stop light or driveway.

Good Luck
Old 10-22-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I learned to drive in a Fiberglass body dune buggy with about 6 inches of play in the shifter each way, you shouldnt have a problem. BTW i was about 12 when i learned.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i kind of sounded like a dick in the last post, didnt mean to at all. Idk about driving in the winter though. I had my first real experience in the rain with my car unfortunately the other day. 285 wide tires = hydroplane. They are BFG KDW's as well.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

driving stick is very easy and very fun but i dont recomend learning on the f-body you dont want to mess the clutch up right off the bat try and learn stick before you buy it.