General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

should i do it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 04:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i do it?

my buddy's selling his 98 t/a 55k original highway miles-he was in the marines and used it to drive 2k miles round trip a few times a year

magnaflow exhaust
free mods
lid

hes asking 7 or 6500 cant remember but hes a good friend of mine so i know the cars gonna be solid

should i buy it? it could be rumor but i hear 98's arnt compatible and have different **** on em than newer models

just askin peoples 2 cents thanks all
Old 10-24-2008, 05:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JustWannaGoFast95
my buddy's selling his 98 t/a 55k original highway miles-he was in the marines and used it to drive 2k miles round trip a few times a year

magnaflow exhaust
free mods
lid

hes asking 7 or 6500 cant remember but hes a good friend of mine so i know the cars gonna be solid

should i buy it? it could be rumor but i hear 98's arnt compatible and have different **** on em than newer models

just askin peoples 2 cents thanks all
arent compatible with what?

i would do that in a heartbeat, good deal.. 1 for a drag car, 1 for a DD... at least thats what i would do..
Old 10-24-2008, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds like a kick *** deal. 98s are year specific like you said and are tougher to tune. If you get it, you could go mod crazy on one of the LS1s It is still an LS1, and responds the same as other years to mods though.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
That sounds like a kick *** deal. 98s are year specific like you said and are tougher to tune. If you get it, you could go mod crazy on one of the LS1s It is still an LS1, and responds the same as other years to mods though.
if you have a good tuner, the comp. issue with the 98s are no issue.. they have their ups and downs just like the other yeas..

i have a 98.. no problems thus far.. ms4 cam ls6 heads ported 90/90 and so on...
Old 10-24-2008, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

to be honest with you all we only have **** for tuners around here only half asses thats why im so worried about it that and the year specific parts (thanks for sayin that its the words i was looking for) but i think im gonna go ahead and get it its a steal for the miles and i already got my hands on a ws6 hood and its artic white one of the best colors on a t/a imo
Old 10-24-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Knowing the history of a car is worth a lot in itself. I would not say that it is out of line, especially if it is a color and has the options you want.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

to be honest with you all we only have **** for tuners around here only half asses thats why im so worried about it that and the year specific parts (thanks for sayin that its the words i was looking for) but i think im gonna go ahead and get it its a steal for the miles and i already got my hands on a ws6 hood and its artic white one of the best colors on a t/a imo
i would have to agree with you on the color option..

if thats the case.. leave the T/A stock, and mod your camaro.. itll be easier for people to tune your camaro than your T/A....... just a thought..
Old 10-25-2008, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lemons12
i would have to agree with you on the color option..

if thats the case.. leave the T/A stock, and mod your camaro.. itll be easier for people to tune your camaro than your T/A....... just a thought..
what makes the 98 so much harder to tune than my camaro? ive been trying to find out exactly what the reason is but havnt been able too i know the computers different......oh and on a 98 im told the trans has a different computer as well? i hear it doesnt let you....for instance put it in 2nd gear and start driving in 2nd as say my 00 does.. why?

edit: i head that the MAF sensor is different too whats that mean to me? thanks again

Last edited by JustWannaGoFast95; 10-25-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

buy it......
Old 10-25-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

Definately sounds like a good deal to me, especially since you know the history. That is a HUGE bonus and you could talk to him about anything on the car at anytime if you had any questions/concerns.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

exactly... good deal for you.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:04 AM
12 Second Club

dude..buy the car..well worth what he is selling it for...by far....98s are nothing different...there are plenty out there and a good tuner will have no problems with it...parts are plentiful....dont worry so much
Old 10-27-2008, 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

the only issue i've had with my 98 is that some sensors are year specific and are harder to track down. Not too big of a deal and well worth it considering the price you would be getting it for.

good luck
Old 10-27-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by its turbo time
the only issue i've had with my 98 is that some sensors are year specific and are harder to track down. Not too big of a deal and well worth it considering the price you would be getting it for.

good luck
theres plenty of parts you gotta buy... when you do a head swap you have to buy coil brackets and new valve covers, gaskets and bolts... some things are a paint, but you save a lot of money going with a 98 over newer models..

what makes the 98 so much harder to tune than my camaro? ive been trying to find out exactly what the reason is but havnt been able too i know the computers different......oh and on a 98 im told the trans has a different computer as well? i hear it doesnt let you....for instance put it in 2nd gear and start driving in 2nd as say my 00 does.. why?

edit: i head that the MAF sensor is different too whats that mean to me? thanks again
honestly i dont know.. i know the comps are different, thats all i eevr looked into it with.. i do know good tuners dont have a problem with it though..
yea, the trans is a little different.. but who cares about that? when do you drive around in second gear?

if the maf is different, its not by much..