General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

To those who have bought high mileage f-bodys

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

By all means if that's what you want go for it. I still think you'll regret not getting a T/A though, cuz I sure did. Seems a little much though for a SS LE. I personally would save some money and just get a regular Z28 and put the money where i want it...well that's what I did.

It's totally up to you man, you get what YOU want.

Post some pics
Old 10-31-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more i looked at SS Camaro's especially on this site, the more i got into liking them. So i may regret not getting a WS6 but probably not so much since an SS Camaro is pretty damn good itself & ive began really liking them as well. All in all, ill atleast be back in another f-body.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Badguy7
Im coming across alot of F-Body's here in Texas, that have high miles but do have mods or some with low miles but at a somewhat high price for the year of the car. Recently came across a 2000 Trans AM WS6 w/ Pacesetter LT's, SLP Exhaust, Lid, Wires, ZR1 Wheels, eibach springs, but the car also has 96 thousand miles on it. Car's listed at 10,950 from a dealership but mentions to give them an offer they cant refuse. Which i can probably get them to lower the price. If not, would i be able to basically say, for that price. i want new tires & the window's tinted??

So to those of you who have bought an F-Body with alot of miles. How has the car turned out for you?? Any major problems??? or just small & general problems that you would expect in an older car like these. My Z28 was at 72 thousand miles and ran strong. All i needed was to change plugs & wires.

I know right off the bat, my plans would be...

New Optima Battery
Seafoam
Oil Change along with new Fuel Filter
Plugs & Wires that i have in my sig ready
Flush the Radiator
Replace Pacesetter's w/ my BBK Lt's & ORY (which i never got installed in my z28) if Pacesetter's are rusty.

Would it be worth it??? I mean i dont wanna get something, ill end up having problems with or end up screwd in a bad deal by paying to much for a car that really didnt turn out worth the price. Of course, ill baby it just as i did my Z28. Keep it as clean as possible, always change the oil every 3 thousand miles & etc.

If not, im looking into an 06 M6 GTO for sale locally. I know there a little heavier then F-Body's but i wouldnt mind. Ill mod it up, and make some extra money by selling what i have for an F-Body.

only thing i can across was power rack n pinion going out, and the Air conditioner, along with new rear end bearings, and tranny/motor mounts. and that was at 105k miles.

also had to replace some gaskets and she was ready to roll
Old 10-31-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dont fall into all the hype of the ss 15,000 for a ss with 80 on it I got my z28 with 83 on it for 10,000 the ss and the z28 is the same car, and I mean my **** looked like it just came off the show room floor. I mean clean as **** everything from the engine to the trunk I think 15,000 it to much. My buddy is selling a black ss 94,000 on it **** is clean as hell it has exhaust lid cut out and a stage 3 clutch that thing is a factory freak he is spanking bolt on cars and he wants like 8,000 for it so that 15,000 is to much at least thats what I think.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look in my Sig, All those cars were brought with high miles except my 99 Z28 which i purchased brand new and the 2001 SS which had 45k on it when i brought it. I never had a prob with a high mile LS1. My current Z28 has 146,xxx on it and runs like a champ. The highest mile LS1 i owned was my 2000 Formula which had 156k when i sold it to a member on this site. Its still running like a top.

I would say change plugs/wires seafoam and change all fluids and drive!
Old 11-03-2008, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

95 lt1 here with 189k purchased with 154 no major problems except a tranny
Old 11-06-2008, 01:02 PM

I Just bought my 99 Z with 125xxx miles it ran a little rough when I got it but after changing the fuel filter , plugs and wires she runs like a champ
Old 11-09-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My TA has 155k miles on. Raced every weekend since I bought it with 32K miles. As long as it was taken care of and you drive it and like it I would say buy it. If it's an M6 i would check the rear end and make sure it doesn't howl or clunk. also check the trans mount and torque arm mount where it attaches to the trans. These are the only things i can think of that you havn't mentioned. good luck!
Old 11-09-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Mine wasn't real high mileage when I got it, but it has 112k now. The only real thing I had take a crap on me was the diff. Otherwise it has been a REAL solid car.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Badguy7
Im coming across alot of F-Body's here in Texas, that have high miles but do have mods or some with low miles but at a somewhat high price for the year of the car. Recently came across a 2000 Trans AM WS6 w/ Pacesetter LT's, SLP Exhaust, Lid, Wires, ZR1 Wheels, eibach springs, but the car also has 96 thousand miles on it. Car's listed at 10,950 from a dealership but mentions to give them an offer they cant refuse. Which i can probably get them to lower the price. If not, would i be able to basically say, for that price. i want new tires & the window's tinted??

So to those of you who have bought an F-Body with alot of miles. How has the car turned out for you?? Any major problems??? or just small & general problems that you would expect in an older car like these. My Z28 was at 72 thousand miles and ran strong. All i needed was to change plugs & wires.

I know right off the bat, my plans would be...

New Optima Battery
Seafoam
Oil Change along with new Fuel Filter
Plugs & Wires that i have in my sig ready
Flush the Radiator
Replace Pacesetter's w/ my BBK Lt's & ORY (which i never got installed in my z28) if Pacesetter's are rusty.

Would it be worth it??? I mean i dont wanna get something, ill end up having problems with or end up screwd in a bad deal by paying to much for a car that really didnt turn out worth the price. Of course, ill baby it just as i did my Z28. Keep it as clean as possible, always change the oil every 3 thousand miles & etc.

If not, im looking into an 06 M6 GTO for sale locally. I know there a little heavier then F-Body's but i wouldnt mind. Ill mod it up, and make some extra money by selling what i have for an F-Body.
i bought mine with around 93 thousand miles and lts and exaust and stalled for 4400$ special deal a4 and drove the ******* **** out of it every day since i got nothing and i mean stupid torture on my car i love it recenlty i broke my tranny but it was my fault not the cars my motor feels like its still new. by the way get the ws6 i regreted not getting the one i saw.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

I bought my '99 TA with 96,000 on the odometer for $10.5k. Completely stock. After a lengthy test drive around town and on the highway, I was sold. The paint was ten years old and damn near flawless, along with the interior...no tears or cuts in the seats. A year and a half later the car now has 113k (drove it from VA to NV and back) and still runs strong as hell...I added an intake and exhaust but that's it.

No major issues at all with the motor/drivetrain. Soon after I picked it up the differential developed a small leak so I put it up on a lift and changed the gear oil and gasket, everything looked fine and havn't had any problems since. The only other things I've had to do was replace the gears in the headlight motors as they were wore out and making that awful noise. Had I bought the Mustang GT I had originally planned on getting it would probably be at the end of it's life by now. Let's just say I used to be a Ford guy but this car has convinced me to switch sides. It's awesome.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

High miles are okay, just expect to throw money now and then when something pukes. Window motors, headlight motors, worn seats, u-joints, timing chains, weatherstrip, door panels, dashboards, anything that turns or rubs...will wear out. Think about buying one with a solid carcass and putting in a fresh motor/trans/rear while you keep the still-working originals safely tucked away. The GTO is hands down the best performance car you can get for the money, however. Buy that and spend your extra loot souping up a POS !
Old 11-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Launching!

i owned a 98 fbody with 165,000 miles on the thing. i abused the **** out of it. all day every day its what i did. had no problems AT ALL with it until the day the motor blew. i owned the car for 20,000 miles and did all the scheduled oil changes and mantainence it required. so as long as the car has been taken care of, it should hold up well.