General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

To those who have bought high mileage f-bodys

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default To those who have bought high mileage f-bodys

Im coming across alot of F-Body's here in Texas, that have high miles but do have mods or some with low miles but at a somewhat high price for the year of the car. Recently came across a 2000 Trans AM WS6 w/ Pacesetter LT's, SLP Exhaust, Lid, Wires, ZR1 Wheels, eibach springs, but the car also has 96 thousand miles on it. Car's listed at 10,950 from a dealership but mentions to give them an offer they cant refuse. Which i can probably get them to lower the price. If not, would i be able to basically say, for that price. i want new tires & the window's tinted??

So to those of you who have bought an F-Body with alot of miles. How has the car turned out for you?? Any major problems??? or just small & general problems that you would expect in an older car like these. My Z28 was at 72 thousand miles and ran strong. All i needed was to change plugs & wires.

I know right off the bat, my plans would be...

New Optima Battery
Seafoam
Oil Change along with new Fuel Filter
Plugs & Wires that i have in my sig ready
Flush the Radiator
Replace Pacesetter's w/ my BBK Lt's & ORY (which i never got installed in my z28) if Pacesetter's are rusty.

Would it be worth it??? I mean i dont wanna get something, ill end up having problems with or end up screwd in a bad deal by paying to much for a car that really didnt turn out worth the price. Of course, ill baby it just as i did my Z28. Keep it as clean as possible, always change the oil every 3 thousand miles & etc.

If not, im looking into an 06 M6 GTO for sale locally. I know there a little heavier then F-Body's but i wouldnt mind. Ill mod it up, and make some extra money by selling what i have for an F-Body.

Last edited by Badguy7; 10-26-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

No major issues, these cars are stout as long as they have been taken care of. Check or leaks and signs of abuse.

I've had a lot of small issues, but that just comes with owning a high mileage car.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have owned two 100K+ mile LS1 F-bodys and neither one of them ever had any major problems whatsoever.

Possible problems have quite a lot to do with the care and use the previous owner/s have done to it.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Banned

ive got 175xxx on my 99z. bought it 3 years ago bone stock. i believe it had around 150-155xxx miles on it. ive had no "major" problems with it. to date, ive had to replace the BCM, oil pressure gauge sending unit, and cam sensor and thats it. in my opinion i think its held up great considering the mileage. motor/trans still seem strong. i have an a4 and my tranny shifts just fine, no slipping whatsoever. i take care of her though. oil changed regularly along with all other fluids. i will admit i probally drive it harder than i should, considering the mileage, but its held up just fine.

i say dont let high mileage bother you as long as it has been takin care of. if taken care of, these ls1's will last forever. and im knockin on forever's door. lol

g'luck.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

Mine has 175,000 miles on it right now. It had 170,000 when I bought it. The only reason I did so was because the car ran so well and the overall condition of the car was in such good shape. Motor is extremely strong with no leaks anywhere. The guy who owned the car ran Mobil 1 synthetic in it and it cetrainly paid off. The interior looks as though it came off the showroom. I really couldn't believe the miles verses the condition of the car. Hell it was in way better shape than some lower mileage LS1's I looked at. If its in good shape I say buy it.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would always take a higher mile car if it is obvious it was well taken care of over a lower mile car that you can tell was not.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

You can find the same car with half the miles for that price. Or even less.

Unless you know how the car has been treated and driven, don't even consider it.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

no man as long as there runnin smooth and strong you wont have any problems im the only one i know around here with 1 under 70k 100k isnt **** for an ls1.....as long as it was well maintained ....and hell kyles car wasnt maintained for **** and its runs as strong as mine with 110k
Old 10-26-2008, 06:26 PM
11 Second Club

I bought mine wit 104k and it runs like a champ...only problem with mine is i washed the motor with simple green and a power washer at the car wash and now my knock sensors are bad...my mistake tho not the car...
Old 10-26-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine rolled over 100k the week i bought it.. i gave it a fresh tune up and everything.. had a lid and LM exhaust.. ran 8.4@84..

about 2-3 months after i got it i put a ms4 cam in it.. went to the track cam only at about 109k miles and ran a 7.5@90 in 90 degree weather.. put heads on last week and am going back and in this weather i expect a 6.9@97..

still runs strong as hell...

give her a complete tune up and dont worry about it.....

also bought a 98 z28 about 3 months ago that i ended up selling.. but it had lik 150k on it.. ran like a champ.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the comments guy's, as far as the car goes. It looks as if it was taken care of pretty well, the entirior looks to be in great shape for this old of a car. Of course i would have to drive it around for a bit and make sure this babys running strong but from just appearance wise. It looks as if it should be in great overall shape for the miles.

Last edited by Badguy7; 10-26-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Banned

g'luck with the car.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

My 98 ss had 14x,000 on it when I sold it. No problems whatsoever. I put a ton of miles on it while it had a yank st3500 converter and 373 gears. even had the original trans.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got my 02 ws6 with 103,XXX miles for 10,995 no problems with it.

as soon as I got it i did a tune up on it and a oil change runs like a champ.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

I think i may decide to try and get this car. I really like how it looks, and ive always wanted a WS6. They just look badass from the front.

Yeaa, that's my plans for whatever car i get. give it a quick tune up and go from there. plus i kinda do wanna seafoam and smoke up the block for fun lol
Old 10-26-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

I got my 94 LT1 with 15x,xxx miles on it, 4 years later it has 160,xxx miles and runs just fine. The window motors are slow, and the air bag light popped on for some random reason but other than that its pretty smooth sailing
Old 10-26-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Badguy7
I think i may decide to try and get this car. I really like how it looks, and ive always wanted a WS6. They just look badass from the front.

Yeaa, that's my plans for whatever car i get. give it a quick tune up and go from there. plus i kinda do wanna seafoam and smoke up the block for fun lol
I did the seafoam on mine when it had 111k miles and it hardly smoked at all.

I guess it has to do that when I bough the car the guy from the dealership told me to just use octane 93 gas
Old 10-27-2008, 02:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If its a 6 speed make sure the clutch and all the gears are good. Its not cheap to replace the clutch and rebuild the tranny. My car had 104k on it runs like a champ but my 4th gear keys were disengrated in my tranny. I rebuilt the tranny, new slave/master, ls7 clutch, for around $1300 doing all my own labor.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:16 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Personally, I'd stay away from cars with any 'mod, no matter how small the 'mod is. After all, people don't 'mod their cars to drive them slow-they 'mod them to drive hard. I'm not saying that a car that's been driven hard will automatically be junk, but why take the chance. Try to find less miles with few or no 'mods...
Old 10-27-2008, 04:23 AM
Launching!

I got my 98 TA with 148k on it no issues for 7500... Theres a 98 TA for sale in jersey right now, with 55k on it for 8 grand . Black auto. No mods.. PM me if you want more info. get that car, Get a ram air hood, do your own suspension mods and upgrades. Your still saving money and you know whats done. Plus its all new.

My got my current TA with 112k for 7500 with a few mods done, no problems with that. All depends how it was maintained. I wouldnt take a car that was demoded. Id rather know what was done. Air lid/ exhaust i wouldnt care about. Cams heads and tuning on the other hand id want reciepts and as much info to help with the decision. Car fax is a good way to knock a few bucks off, previous accidents dont mean its not a good deal if they were fixed right. Mine has a hit on it, it was crashed with 56 miles on it while someone test drove it from the dealership. You couldnt even tell by looking at it, they did it all over with OE parts and to OE standards..... Stay away from salvage ...headache waiting to happen.