General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Hidden anti theft switch worth the trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
How would someone break in and disable VATS in the first place?
There are only 16 different pellets in those VATS keys. Car thieves with a ring of blanks can try each until it starts.

That said, I installed a kill switch in mine. It's better than stock VATS, and unique.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are you guys buying these kill switches from and how much are they running for?

...I'm fixed on getting a Ravelco system installed before new years but its always good to know what else is out there.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
Where are you guys buying these kill switches from and how much are they running for?
A toggle switch at Radio Shack will run you a few bucks (maybe $5 at most).
Old 11-05-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SonicBoom
A toggle switch at Radio Shack will run you a few bucks (maybe $5 at most).
hmmm, I thought I'd be buying a security kit. If its just a matter of buying a simple stand alone switch then all I need to know is what wires you all are splicing and what-not.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

the fuel cutoff seems like a great idea, not only for theft but also for safety and I'll likely end up doing one to mine
Old 11-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
hmmm, I thought I'd be buying a security kit. If its just a matter of buying a simple stand alone switch then all I need to know is what wires you all are splicing and what-not.
I have a $1 made in USA light switch (like the ones in your house) breaking the neutral safety wire. I can hardly reach it with my finger to turn it on or off but only I know where it is.
I'm thinking if you want to catch the theif it might be better to break the fuel pump wire, that way you might hear the car cranking and not starting.

Theres a recent thread here about a guy getting his car back from being stolen, it looks like they had time to lift the hood and remove the horn fuse, and he said some other wires under the hood were cut.
I'm thinking one person inside breaking the steering loose and one geting ready to hotwire it from under the hood, when they're both ready they go. I'm thinking someone has traced down the wires to cut and power everything up all from under the hood. Theres a fuel pump bypass wire that turns it on for testing, I'm sure you can bypass the whole ignition switch from under the hood. I did it once on a second gen.
My point for typing all that is, are these switches going to do any good if it's hotwired from under the hood. Thats just thinking out loud, not looking for an answer to any of this. I'll just turn my switch off and hope thats enough.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a truck that had one in it. A toggle switch placed inline with an ignition wire. When off the truck would just crank over and over and over and not start. Hidden under the dash
Old 11-05-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of good ideas. My favorite is a switch that kills the fuel pump.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

See my plan is to kill the 12v going to the starter. That way all of my accessories still work but the starter will never turn over. Even if someone bypass's the VATS and finds a way to hot wire it from under the hood, they'd have to notice my wiring (which will be completely concealed) and find my switch.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with the fuel pump kill.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think that a fuel cutoff is the way to go. I'd hear my car turnover and if it fired for a split second the LT's and 3" bullets would alert everyone in the neighborhood.

When my dad got out of the Navy he lived in Philly. A friend of his had his Impala's radio stolen twice. The friend soldered razor blades to the chassis of the radio.

He and my dad left a bar one night and the Impala's driver side door was opened. The radio was partially pulled out and there was a trail of blood from the Impala going down the sidewalk. Awesome idea, but today the ******* would sue you.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Self proclaimed VILLAGE IDIOT

Fuel pump kill switch is the easiest. Takes 10 minutes to install it if you know what you're doing and know what wires to look for. All you need is a 50 cent toggle switch or a push button (anything that will complete a circuit) that you can get at RadioShack. Either that or you can just replace the fuel pump fuse with a blank fuse.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Anybody have a wiring schematic or something on how they did a fuel pump kill switch? Which wires, relay or anything? Thanks!
Old 11-09-2008, 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

As a side note, I'd suggest that any really effective kill switch has be a bitch to get to. My friend had an underdash switch on his car and it still got stolen. Realistically it likely took the guy stealing it a minute or two at most of running his hand under the dash to find the switch and trip it.

I personally liked my uncle's method of rerouting his ignition wire to run up through the headline and hiding a little switch on the backside of the dome light.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:43 AM
Staging Lane

Booby trapping things with razors can be turned against you in a legal suit. It sux that it does, but there have been many cases where the lousy lawyer argued that the hardships forced this person to steal, now he can't get a real job becausae he's lost 2 fingers. I'd prefer wiring a taser into the airbag myself.... THe idea is to make it harder to steal than the next guys. Clubs don't really work, they just deter most of them.

If I was going to make a switch, I would add 2 or 3 in series. But here in Washington, auto theft is very high because you don't do time until you get caught 7 times...literally. I have a garage for nightime storage, that helps.

Add one of those old 70's brights switches on the floor lol
Old 11-12-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a write up on how to do this? I am curious.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by xirxious
..... I'd prefer wiring a taser into the airbag myself....
Is anyone else but me getting the visual of this? .. ... I'm thinking about the several ways it can go wrong.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

here we go.. http://www.ls2.com/boggs/torques/99pinpcm.htm

RED PCM DRIVE:
"PIN:9

DK/GRN

FUEL PUMP RELAY CONTROL"

That's the wire you need to break for the kill switch, I suppose. Finally found a PCM Schematic!
Old 11-12-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would tihnk that under the ashtray in the console would be a good spot. A little more wire routing, but I dont think it would be a place they would look.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:04 AM
11 Second Club

Wherever it is, i'd have to say it should be somewhere where if they DID decide to look, they can't find it in two minutes. Somewhere where you can barely get to it.

Quick Reply: Hidden anti theft switch worth the trouble?