General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I need serious HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008 | 03:23 AM
Staging Lane

Default I need serious HELP

I am trying to sell my car as quickly as possible but its been up for a while and Im not getting the interest that I want. Im gonna post the description and If there is anyone that can give me some tips on how to get it sold quickly (lower price, maintenance, etc.) it would be much appreciated.

1998 Chevrolet Camaro
Arctic White
Tan Cloth Interior
113,xxx Miles
3.8L V6 - Automatic
Power Everything
T-Tops w/ NO LEAKS
Flowmaster Catback Exhaust w/ Chrome Tips
16" Chrome Wheels
New Tires

Alpine Stereo
Infinity Speakers Front & Rear w/ tweeters
10" MTX Subwoofer
New 840 Watt Jensen Amp

Maintenance items replaced within the last 6 months:
Front Brake Calipers (Red)
Front & Rear Brakes
Serpentine Belt
Idler Pulley / Water Pump
Spark Plugs and Wires
Both Headlights

All fluids have been changed religiously.

Hood has a small dent on the drivers side front corner from someone backing into the car. Otherwise the body and paint are in very good condition.

Asking $4400

I know its not an LSX but any help is appreciated Thanks.
Old 11-01-2008 | 04:29 AM
Launching!

I'd actually make two ads out of it.

In my mind, there are two kinds of people that buy used cars.
First, people that like aftermarket stuff such as sound-systems,etc.
These are usually young people.
Second, people that want a well-taken-care-of car that wont cause them any problems.
These are usually older.

So, in the ad for the young people, use pictures of the sound-system, the rims, and the standard exterior/interior shots. Also use a very descriptive language in the ad, such as what image they'll be getting with the car, how fast it is, and how well the bass rumbles.

For the old people, use words as "mechanically perfect", "no hassle" and "reliable". Ditch the pictures of the sound-system, and offer to restore the stock sound-system if they so wish (shows that you haven't cut something up to mount it), and tell them that "you've just done a complete tuneup" and all services have been done on it.

Oh, and for the rare case where an old person buys a car for a young person, tell them that its got airbags, ABS, and other safety systems.
Also mention that it got the looks of a V8, but the economy of a V6.
NHTSA crash-ratings are also nice. The 99 Camaro (no tests found for the 98) was second highest for the driver, and the highest marks for the passenger.

Just my $0.02
Old 11-01-2008 | 05:16 AM
Launching!

Also, posting it in the for sale section would help as well.

Had to be a smartass....good luck with your sale.
Old 11-01-2008 | 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure about prices in your area, but around here asking price for something similar should be below $4K.

I, personally, wouldn't pay much over $3K for it.
Old 11-01-2008 | 07:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Texfinn
Not sure about prices in your area, but around here asking price for something similar should be below $4K.

I, personally, wouldn't pay much over $3K for it.
That what I was going to say too. V6 camaros aren't selling for that much. Unless you manage to find the right person.
Old 11-01-2008 | 07:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TA-Swede
I'd actually make two ads out of it.

In my mind, there are two kinds of people that buy used cars.
First, people that like aftermarket stuff such as sound-systems,etc.
These are usually young people.
Second, people that want a well-taken-care-of car that wont cause them any problems.
These are usually older.

So, in the ad for the young people, use pictures of the sound-system, the rims, and the standard exterior/interior shots. Also use a very descriptive language in the ad, such as what image they'll be getting with the car, how fast it is, and how well the bass rumbles.

For the old people, use words as "mechanically perfect", "no hassle" and "reliable". Ditch the pictures of the sound-system, and offer to restore the stock sound-system if they so wish (shows that you haven't cut something up to mount it), and tell them that "you've just done a complete tuneup" and all services have been done on it.

Oh, and for the rare case where an old person buys a car for a young person, tell them that its got airbags, ABS, and other safety systems.
Also mention that it got the looks of a V8, but the economy of a V6.
NHTSA crash-ratings are also nice. The 99 Camaro (no tests found for the 98) was second highest for the driver, and the highest marks for the passenger.

Just my $0.02
Spoken like a true maketing person. This is some of the best advice I've heard about selling a car and something I would never think to do. Anyways everything looks good to me I would just 2nd the motion to lower the price. High mileage ls1 f bodies go for a little more than what your asking.
Old 11-01-2008 | 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

The asking price is for a vehicle w/out body work required, so it's too high. Everybody who's buying is looking for a deal. If it isn't a deal, they move on. You've got about five seconds to get their attention and make them want to read the rest of the advert.

Nice photo's help. Clean car, good lighting, no distractions in the background.

Being more detailed in the maintenance would grab the attention of the people who do their own car work. Mention those things that don't need work for the next X-thousand miles, as well. That's always worked for me.

Many people are interested in smoker/non-smoker car status. If you've smoked in it, vacuum the bejeesus out of it and do a wet-clean of the interior. I get out the carpet cleaner liquids, my little pump sprayer, the garden hose, a stiff brush, and my big-*** shop vac. Leave the windows down over several days to dry it out good. Works like a charm. Clean all the glass inside and out. Wipe down every plastic and leather surface in the interior. It makes a good impression when the customer first sits in it.

I've had great luck using Craigslist. I sold Daughter's car ('97 Avenger) that way. I put the advert in on Friday night (payday) at about 7:30pm, got three hits before 8:30 and ten hits before 10:30pm, plus another hit the next morning. Had it sold before 11am the next day. Craigslist rocks in my area.

Plus, I had the car on the cheap side and used the phrase "Reduced for quick sale." It was about where it was supposed to be on price, but it was a lot cheaper than those cars that people were trying to get what the WANTED, not what they were WORTH.

Good Luck!