General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

car payments in college

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I worked my *** off over the summer to buy my car cash and insure it. I looked for over 6 months and test drove a bunch of Trans Ams before I bought this one. Then once you start modding it and when **** breaks it becomes very expensive. Not to mention they don't get great gas mileage when your on it a lot . I'm on scholarship so I have most of my college paid for but if I didn't I doubt I'd have my T/A now. Don't stretch yourself too thin, it will only bum you out. If it means getting an Fbody after college then do that, hell they'll probably be worth less than dirt by then

Last edited by bluestrat; 11-05-2008 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling owns me
Old 11-05-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Buy a high mileage F-body and pay cash initially.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

IDK how anyone can make payments on a car, seems like a lot of money wasted paying interest and all.

I made the necessary sacrifices first, then i worked and worked, spent money only on things I had to have. Before i knew it I had money left over and bought my car with cash.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

not shure. i bought my car cash like alot of others did on here for this same reason
Old 11-06-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted a WS.6 soooooo bad back in 2002. I started college but decided to wait till I graduated. Fast forward 5 years, I went out and bought my 2000 WS.6 a week after graduating, I was literally counting down the days my last few years, got on LS1tech and learned a lot too while I waited! I'm 24/ married, and pay $191 a month for payment, and $80 for insurance. It was worth the wait. Now that I've had my F-body for a few months I'm glad I didn't get it in college. would have been to much stress and I may have gotten into some deep shi* owning a WS.6 when I was 18. I only financed because I'm gonna have it payed off in only 6 months.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have two car payments in college,i like the fact aht i have to work and go to college at the same time, i feel that i have enough time to do everything now so when i et a job i will feel like i have a lot of free time, haha weird logic i guess. I defintely can be done though
Old 11-06-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
IDK how anyone can make payments on a car, seems like a lot of money wasted paying interest and all.

I made the necessary sacrifices first, then i worked and worked, spent money only on things I had to have. Before i knew it I had money left over and bought my car with cash.
i'm with you, paying for a car in full is the best way to go financially speaking. yes you build credit by paying a car loan, but you do the same by having a simple credit card you can pay off at the end of each month and not have to pay interest on.

i even do the same with insurance albeit there is no interest on that. i pay twice a year to get it out of the way. the less money out of each paycheck the better.

as a side note, to the OP, i don't see how f-bodys are that much different than paying a note on any car unless you drive the hell out of yours to where stuff breaks more often. and in that case, there is a different lesson to be learned...
Old 11-06-2008, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

i bought my t/a right before college and im a full time student (morning classes) and i work full time hours. its tiring and it sucks. but when you leave work and see that bitchin f-body sittin there waitin for you in the parkin lot, its worth it.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

It's a juggling act for sure. I guess I'll start with saying I have two bank accounts, and two jobs. My primary engineering job goes into my primary bank account, and pays my $108 a month for full coverage insurance, including roadside assistance, and glass coverage (used it yesterday). That's also my day-to-day spending money. I also work one day a week at Autozone, Sundays. Working there just two days a month covers my car payment, and then some. That goes to my Credit Union account, and is used solely as a means of paying off my loan, and is the rest is savings. I work there every Sunday, so I'm actually saving a decent amount of money. It's not as "accessible" so it's harder for me to spend it luckily, while my bank account dwindles to nothing pretty easily with the swipe of a card.

It's not that bad for me. Now that I'm not working at Autozone primarily, and using it just as a side job (discount is nice too), I'm not working nights anymore so I use that time for schoolwork. And I always have Saturdays off too, so that's nice.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought mine a few months before I graduated High School, I made enough to pay for insurance and a payment (spent a lot of time checking this). Now I'm in my first semester of College and have a Full time job making a good chunk of money, but it's probably not the best thing, since I have little time to do my homework, I usually go to class 30 minutes early and write papers and whatnot right before they're due and get a pretty bad grade (70/100). I'm only 18 btw.

But damn is that car fun.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:38 PM

When I had my 94 Z28 I was a seinor in Highschool and I had to make payments on the car and insurance which wasn't too bad I between both of them It was $635.00mo . I thought it was reasonable all I did was have to budget my Money. Now that Im out of college and Just purchased a new to me 99 Z28 I only pay 249.00mo but thats f/c on the Z and comp. on my Jeep is on that policy also.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

I work 9-7 on friday, saturday and sunday, then 3-7 on tuesday while going to school as a fulltime student with 15 credits.

Pays for my camaro v6 and firehawk trans am.

Oh, and the camaro is actually more than the firehawk for insurance. I think the insurance company got confused when I told them the vehicle was a "Firehawk" Trans Am. They told me they did not have that car listed in there records so in there confusion I got a really good deal for full coverage on it.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the degree first. The fast cars will follow after the degree. Priority and effort should go to getting that degree/walking that stage. Direct your energy to that cause. Camaros and Firebirds will be there after you graduate. Then with that good paying job you get, you can build yourself a nice Procharged F body.

Stay focused my young one.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I waited til I graduated from college. I bought a V6 while I was an undergrad. I bought the hawk as a "congrats" present to myself. I really doubted my abilities in college freshman year, thought I wasn't going to make it.

Let's just say I am the only one of my five friends who graduated (we went together from HS). It was better to wait!
Old 11-27-2008, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

i used to go to work part time and take like 2 classes a semester ($750) Make a car payment ($205) insurance ($100) and transmission ($100) and still manage to have enough for food, gas, and whatever else. I do live at home however. I work full time now and am going to probably take 3 classes next semester. Trans is payed off next month and car this summer yay !
Old 11-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Launching!

I pay for both my cobalt and TA I work a full time job and go to school full time. But my Boss pays for my school since I work full time instead of working part time And got some government help too since parents were in the Air Force. SO if you work hard I dont see why its a problem but thats me.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im currently a soph in college. i make around $200/week during the school year (~25hrs a week), then i have a job in the summer which brings in close $3000 after tax. i bought my car in cash freshman year of college, pay insurance under my name ($2000 year, no coll/comp). and i have a good $ reserve left over.

now, i dont pay for school, luckly my parents do. but if i had to pay, it would be a little less than 4k a year for community college. i would only have to take on a few extra hours, buts its managable. and i dont think i over work myself either. and i enjoy both jobs.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:56 AM
12 Second Club

I'm 21 and still bummin' with my folks. Well, not totally. I work 8-5, Monday through Friday and do night classes Monday through Thursday. I live under their roof, but completely finance my own tuition, car note, insurance, cell, gym membership, credit card and helping with groceries. I could be making more than $10.50 somewhere else, but the leniency where I work really comes in handy when I'm busy with school. I don't need megabucks right now.

During the week there's not much time for anything else and my study habits are terrible, but I'm finally realizing what direction I want to take. I don't have a lot of money to blow and usually choose one thing or another, like whether or not I need clothes or tires. I paid off my '80 Formula in two years, gave it to my brother and bought the Z28 for $6,250. My payments are $200 and my insurance is like $180 a month. It isn't unbearable. Just scour the classifieds for a cheaper example.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04

Investing that cash you used to buy your car and and making $5k-$10k and paying $1-$2k sounds better to me than spending it all on a car that will depreciate.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Get the degree first. The fast cars will follow after the degree. Priority and effort should go to getting that degree/walking that stage. Direct your energy to that cause. Camaros and Firebirds will be there after you graduate. Then with that good paying job you get, you can build yourself a nice Procharged F body.

Stay focused my young one.
Absolutely the best advice given in this thread.

Wish I'd have followed this advice. It would have made it alot easier had I not had a car payment/insurance payment during college. I made it through, got the grades, got the degree, got the job I was shooting for and everything but man, it would've been easier and a lot less stressful w/o that car payment.

But in all honesty... I'd probably do it all again...

Quick Reply: car payments in college