General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Dealer smurfed me.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put $38 in a high yield C/D and you can fix that nasty exhaust problem in a few months!
Old 11-13-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chadaclysm
Put $38 in a high yield C/D and you can fix that nasty exhaust problem in a few months!
Whats a high yield C/D?
Old 11-13-2008, 08:42 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
Umm... go to an exhaust shop and they will fix it for probably about $40.

You have a hole and a broken hanger. Don't be so dramatic.
2. It's not like it happened the day after you bought it. It has been 3 months or so. Just pay the miniscule amount to get it welded back up. Should take about 30 minutes also.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Even if you have a valid emissions sticker and/or pass the emissions "test", the law still requires you to have cats on the car (with some exceptions to the rule -- most of which wouldn't ever apply to a 4th Gen F-Body). Like many of the people on this site, I don't have cats and I still pass emissions. Fortunately for us, often times the limited scope of the various state emission tests falls short of ensuring compliance with the actual laws.

That being said, whether the car passed emissions or not, it sounds like you were sold on the idea of buying a "GM Certified" car which presumably would have catalytic converters. You now know that the car doesn't have them. Now the decision is in your hands -- if you're cool with running without cats, I'd get them to patch the hole (if they're willing) and be done with it. If the true purpose of your request is to simply have cats installed so the car will be in compliance with the laws, I can't understand why you wouldn't I'd accept their offer to have cats installed. I would think this is as simple as that.

I'm not sure how else you could leverage the "get the car within the legal requirements of the law" argument to get anything above and beyond new cats.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

The thing that everyone seems to be missing is the man payed almost 16k dollars for a certified car. A car that the supposed experts have gone over, and have deemed to be in like new condition. They even charged a premium because it is being stood behind past the factory warranty period.

Certified by the manufacturer used cars are there to eliminate the hassle of buying a safe good used car for those of us without the skills to determine whats good and bad on our own. It was introduced by the manufacturers to help yield higher returns on used cars for dealers.

I believe the dealers fully responsible for what they sold you, as they have standards to follow when they certify a car. Someone mentioned already that they were willing to buy it back from you because they f-ed up. I dont think you are being realistic asking for the whole exhaust to be replaced though. The hanger can be welded. The cats however should be replaced on their dime though, since they attested to the fact they were there at the time of purchase.

If you get no help from them, call gm's customer service line. Gm probably wont be happy to hear about one of their dealers screwing one of the few customers they have left.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
If the dealer offer to fix the exhaust and put cats on it I would do that....seems pretty reasonable to me.
Yeah WTF?
Old 11-15-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
Whats a high yield C/D?
Really? lol.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jpalamar
They then offered to put cats back on and patch the leak. I explained to them I didn't buy a car to have cats welded into the exhaust and have a patch on it. I wanted the whole exhaust replaced. They declined.
I would have too.

Sounds like you're a cry baby. Just take it to a place that will fix it.

Oh, and I didn't read any other replies.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

cats who needs cats. The last i heard it was illegal to sell a car without cats also. It just saves you from cutting them off when you put them long tubes on Because that is what all of us do wright.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

ls1gto.com buy a used stocker and have them install it like stated earlier. Also the GTO suspension is great but alot of people replaced stuff with pedders stuff. You did buy a used car.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cjdz24_z28
ls1gto.com buy a used stocker and have them install it like stated earlier. also the gto suspension is great but alot of people replaced stuff with pedders stuff. You did buy a used car.
hahahaha what!?!?!?
Old 11-16-2008, 06:34 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think y'all scared this guy off. I want to know why he got pulled over.

Oh yeah, what's pedders stuff?

-Edit: nvm

Last edited by myk; 11-16-2008 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with the poster, a gm certified used costs a little more and they are telling you ints in perfect condition by certifying it. The reason i say this is i think gm certified is a ****** joke my mom bought an 07 "certified" GTP a year ago, come to find out it had been wrecked and cheaply repaired and is now rusting on the door and front fenders. when we took it in to the dealership and complained they wetsanded the door and spray canned it. that lasted a couple weeks and now its rusting again. gm certified abviously means nothing.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by myk
I think y'all scared this guy off. I want to know why he got pulled over.

Oh yeah, what's pedders stuff?

-Edit: nvm
I got got pulled over when driving home after the phillies W/S game. He was just behind me and randomly ran my plate. Nothing special.

After having a lawyer call the dealer, they are mailing me a check for their at cost price for the cats, front radious rod brushings that failed, and 1/2 the estimated labor costs. They also are reimbursing me for the plates issue. I'm not planning on returning to stock but I am getting JBA coated headers and high flow mids. Also got the Pedders brushing already so it all worked out.

My main issue with them was driving over 3 hours to get it fixed when the GM Certification would let me take it to a local dealer. They also gave me a 2 year warrently though some company. Doubt it will cover anything but they took care of me in the end after a little convincing and a report to the atturny general and a fine for the inspections stuff, investing into false advertising.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Dealer smurfed me.
Get the Smurf outta here!!
Right in the Smurfin Parkin' Lot?!?

Ive been fighting the urge to post that for the last week
Old 11-19-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got got pulled over when driving home after the phillies W/S game. He was just behind me and randomly ran my plate. Nothing special.

After having a lawyer call the dealer, they are mailing me a check for their at cost price for the cats, front radious rod brushings that failed, and 1/2 the estimated labor costs. They also are reimbursing me for the plates issue. I'm not planning on returning to stock but I am getting JBA coated headers and high flow mids. Also got the Pedders brushing already so it all worked out.

My main issue with them was driving over 3 hours to get it fixed when the GM Certification would let me take it to a local dealer. They also gave me a 2 year warrently though some company. Doubt it will cover anything but they took care of me in the end after a little convincing and a report to the atturny general and a fine for the inspections stuff, investing into false advertising.
Damn man. Good job.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I bought my 04 GTO M6 about 4 months ago. It had 22K miles and is GM Certified used. Got a decent deal for $15,990 and they gave me $7800 trade for my 04 SVT Focus ZX5 w/ 70K miles.

3 weeks after I bought the car the exhaust note changed. I looked under the car and saw one of the exhaust hangers broke and left a whole the size of a quarter in the side of the pipe. I figure no big deal and take it to a local Pontiac dealer. They confirmed what I thought but said they will not fix it because the car does not have any cats. Keep in mind it has new inspection/emmissions stickers on it. They also noticed a noice comming from the front suspension but without charging me to take it apart, they couldn't give me a good answer.

I called the dealer I bought the car from and took it down for them to confirm my claims. They offered to buy the car back less tax/tags. I told them no because I lost some money on my trade.

They then offered to put cats back on and patch the leak. I explained to them I didn't buy a car to have cats welded into the exhaust and have a patch on it. I wanted the whole exhaust replaced. They declined.

It as been 3 months of fighting with them. All I want is what I paid for. I want the car to go though GM Cert with another dealer to find anything else they may be wrong, replace what is broken.

I bought the car with the mods in my signature but didn't know that all of them were there. I thought it was just an intake and catback.

Any advise????/ They did falsely advertise the car and sell it with imspection/emmissions stickers they aren't legit.

I can't afford a layer because I'm a full time college student so let me know what I can do.
If they certifed the car with those supporting mods they are a bunch of dumbass. One they can't certify a car that is not completely stock. Now if the car that you bought the car stock and you modded it is your problem. They sold to you like that they should fix it. If they don't take it to court and they will fix it for you then.