General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Dealer smurfed me.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer smurfed me.

So I bought my 04 GTO M6 about 4 months ago. It had 22K miles and is GM Certified used. Got a decent deal for $15,990 and they gave me $7800 trade for my 04 SVT Focus ZX5 w/ 70K miles.

3 weeks after I bought the car the exhaust note changed. I looked under the car and saw one of the exhaust hangers broke and left a whole the size of a quarter in the side of the pipe. I figure no big deal and take it to a local Pontiac dealer. They confirmed what I thought but said they will not fix it because the car does not have any cats. Keep in mind it has new inspection/emmissions stickers on it. They also noticed a noice comming from the front suspension but without charging me to take it apart, they couldn't give me a good answer.

I called the dealer I bought the car from and took it down for them to confirm my claims. They offered to buy the car back less tax/tags. I told them no because I lost some money on my trade.

They then offered to put cats back on and patch the leak. I explained to them I didn't buy a car to have cats welded into the exhaust and have a patch on it. I wanted the whole exhaust replaced. They declined.

It as been 3 months of fighting with them. All I want is what I paid for. I want the car to go though GM Cert with another dealer to find anything else they may be wrong, replace what is broken.

I bought the car with the mods in my signature but didn't know that all of them were there. I thought it was just an intake and catback.

Any advise????/ They did falsely advertise the car and sell it with imspection/emmissions stickers they aren't legit.

I can't afford a layer because I'm a full time college student so let me know what I can do.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

I suggest you buy a used stock gto exhaust system and have them put it on. My guess is 100 bucks used.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Umm... go to an exhaust shop and they will fix it for probably about $40.

You have a hole and a broken hanger. Don't be so dramatic.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1

I don't think it is dramatic to expect what you paid for. The exhaust isn't the only problem the car has, the suspenion is making loud noises in the front and they dealer never processed the paperwork for my plate transfer. I got pulled over because my registration didn't match. They impounded my car on the stop. Cost me $100+ to get new plates and more to get out out for towing/storeage and fines.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jpalamar
I don't think it is dramatic to expect what you paid for. The exhaust isn't the only problem the car has, the suspenion is making loud noises in the front and they dealer never processed the paperwork for my plate transfer. I got pulled over because my registration didn't match. They impounded my car on the stop. Cost me $100+ to get new plates and more to get out out for towing/storeage and fines.
You bought a modded used car, I don't know how much you expected the dealership to do about it. You need to see the dealership about all the fines/plates more than the exhaust. Go to a local shop that does free estimates to look at the suspension. Stop going back to the stealership. Go after them for that money you lost and cut them off there.

If you didn't get a warranty there is not much you can do about it.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

The reason why they offered to buy it back is because they f'ed up. The tech who did the certification signed off on the fact that the emissions systems (cats) were in perfect working order. Go back to the original dealership and calmly tell the service manager that you will be reporting them to the GM district service representativeif they do not fix these issues at no cost to you. You paid for the certified vehicle not a catless clunker.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whiteghost
The reason why they offered to buy it back is because they f'ed up. The tech who did the certification signed off on the fact that the emissions systems (cats) were in perfect working order. Go back to the original dealership and calmly tell the service manager that you will be reporting them to the GM district service representativeif they do not fix these issues at no cost to you. You paid for the certified vehicle not a catless clunker.
They may try to claim you took the cats off. Since people signed off on it being A-OK when it left, and you didn't say anything about it at time of purchase.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No need to stress so much. Your new on here and you will learn that there are WAY MORE things to be concerned about. You situation is not that big a deal. The plates and registration **** they need to fix for you though. Or at the very least recoup you for. Other than that just take that sucker to an exhaust shop and let them fix that sucker.

.....This is why I will never buy a previously modified car. Just taking on someone else's problems.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the dealer offer to fix the exhaust and put cats on it I would do that....seems pretty reasonable to me.

Last edited by qwk93ta; 11-13-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:21 AM
10 Second Club

The stock exhaust is probably way to expensive even for the dealer. One suggestion, ask them to fix the front end suggest that it could be a safety issue, ask if you could buy your owns cats and be reimbursed and have them installed at a mutual agreed upon shop (good muffler shop). Go out and buy a good set of performance cats, Random is one brand, I'm sure there is others.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1

x2
Old 11-13-2008, 11:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

That might be a Bushing in the front Suspension, that's not that hard either..

I'd be fighthing more about the License Plate issue rather than an Exhaust Hanger.

What do you expect when buying a Car, everything to be perfect?

Every car I have bought I have gone through it BEFORE the transfer of money takes place. I look at everything that I can get to, under, open panels..etc. I practically have sex with it..

Honestly that's your fault for not checking it there and not checking with the Dealer on the License Plate issue too. I would have called their *** with a checklist and made sure everything was good, expecially when it comes to legal stuff. That's just me though, I'm just **** like that..

Last edited by the_merv; 11-13-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mike13
the stock exhaust is probably way to expensive even for the dealer. ....
+1...
Old 11-13-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

take it and get it fixed. $40 like stated above is what it will cost, but thats what you have to expect with a used car period even if its "certified".
Old 11-13-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

... Does anyone remember those commercials that went "I think I bought a lemon"? ... ...Sorry, random thought after reading this thread
Old 11-13-2008, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

I think it was a Carfax Commercial..
Old 11-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advise. I was probally just to pissed to think it all through.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Default buyer beware.

there is no qoick fix for buyers remorse !!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by billyb
there is no qoick fix for buyers remorse !!!!
Yes there is. Frivolously spend more cash on something else. Trust me on this.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by the_merv
I think it was a Carfax Commercial..
I think it was too.