General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Seafoaming your GM motors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here i'll help you think your statement through since you are not showing youself to be capable of doing it. The plugs are a part OF THE CYLINDER HEAD. Not the combustion chamber. What you meant to state, but could not, was that they are A part that SITS IN THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER. Not of. If you cannot get these simple detail's right, there is no reason any of us should listen to you about Seafoam.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

This thread is getting ******* absurd. Why isn't it locked yet?
Old 11-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TopFlite
Don't worry everyone, Mr.9000 has exemplified to us all of what a gullable person is. He will take a manufacturer's word over real life experience and result's.
I thought the op wanted solid info since he refuses to use the search feature. But it seems no one knows what he wants.

My real life experience( not that I'm a big deal, just because you said real life experience) I've used seafoam 4 times in an 82k mile used ls1 I bought and never had any problems with cats or O2's or spark plugs.
I've also used it on several stock non performance vehicles with none of those problems either. I've done at least two top end treatments on every vehicle I've done.
I've used it in the oil, no problems.
I've soaked throttle body parts in it, upper intake parts, cleaned out ls1 intakes that have sucked oil from the pcv and built up a tar like sludge. Seafoam eats that stuff right off. Their deep creep doesn't seem to work as well. In fact I've put seafoam in a Prevail refillable paint spray can and used that to spray clean parts with seafoam.
Thats my real world experience.
So is that enough contribution? thats my story and earlier all the manufacturers recommendations.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Village Idiot

Talking seriously now for just a minute.. 9000 just relax before you get yourself into more trouble.. Don't insult all the posters on this thread saying you are the only one with true correct facts from the manufacture.. This is not a wise move... Insulting me you will only have me to deal with and I won't fire back at this point...I am far too scared of Unit and Jay at this point..

Bottom line is spark plugs do get fouled on occasion as reported when seafoaming your combustion chambers in your motor.. It is not a common occurance but it has been known to happen and reported.....

My take - The plug points are exposed when cleaning the carbon out of the motor when running and firing during the process... To my knowledge the carbon buildup is removed so quickly that it can clog or foul the spark plug points or atleast some quite possibly.. Not a big sacrifice too make if your combustion chambers are free of all carbon and sparkling clean, hense, making or freeing up just a little more room in the combustion chambers which in turn creates HP gains as witnessed.... You can always remove each plug afterwards and clean in gasoline and then re-gap as needed...Or install new plugs...

Overall the engine should run better after seafoaming... That is if it is aged and does have carbon buildup...

Oil and fuel seafoam cleanup is overrated in my opinion.... I think I would rather use the concentrated fuel injector cleaners and other quality cleaning products created and designed specifically for the fuel and or oil only.. I believe those products may just work better overall then seafoam... Atleast that is what I have digested with all the multiple threads I have read on seafoaming...

Last edited by JIBBBY; 11-22-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TopFlite
Here i'll help you think your statement through since you are not showing youself to be capable of doing it. The plugs are a part OF THE CYLINDER HEAD. Not the combustion chamber. What you meant to state, but could not, was that they are A part that SITS IN THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER. Not of. If you cannot get these simple detail's right, there is no reason any of us should listen to you about Seafoam.
Sometimes I leave simple details out instead of over explaining them since most people 'get it'.

When plugs are installed they are part of the cylinder head, they are screwed in tightly, their placement is very important to the igniting of the fuel air mixture.
Automotive manufacuturers have moved the plug locations around over the years to improve efficiency of design. A perfect example would be the Gen 1 cly head.
There were the regular straight plug, the angle plug on the high performance engines, and then the vortec which was completely reshaped and the plug moved closer to the exhaust valve (iirc). The cylinder head basically is the combustion chamber and it's not complete without a spark plug PRESENT. Hows that is present a simple enough term?
Old 11-22-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vicinity
This thread is getting ******* absurd. Why isn't it locked yet?
+1
About the only worthwhile info in it was posted by 9000th01ss but it seems to have been ignored.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by wht01ws6ta
+1
About the only worthwhile info in it was posted by 9000th01ss but it seems to have been ignored.
I completely disagree as "6speed" in page one of this thread actually provided the most worthwhile post and link...
Seafoaming is not rocket science and or brain surgury...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hrasAYG42g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XIOk3ak3us

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

Last edited by JIBBBY; 11-23-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

i seafoamed my car and it didnt smoke at all
Old 11-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by matt01ws6
Well then you probably did it wrong.... Or your car is too new... They all smoke..Did you let the seafoam sit for a while in the engine before cranking it up to allow the seafoam to actually work?

Last edited by JIBBBY; 11-23-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
I completely disagree as "6speed" in page one of this thread actually provided the most worthwhile post and link...
Seafoaming is not rocket science and or brain surgury...

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm
Which you would have found on the first page if you had searched.

Hit me as much as you like while my hands are tied by the administers threats.

Look at view users posts, you have no technical input to this site at all. All you do here is post useless bullshit, just like this thread- another one of your worthless pieces of ****.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matt01ws6
Did you put it in your gas tank or a vacuum line? If you put it in a brand new car it would smoke through the vacuum line how it burns. but dirtier cars burn darker.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Village Idiot

9000 your hands don't seem that tied to me... I guess you are really trying to get this thread closed...

Your threads did have merit 9000, I just found the most usefull information about seafoaming on the link "6speed" provided.. That's the honest truth and I wasn't trying to dig at you as you may think, I got over it.....

I just really didn't appreciate your comment on me drinking a bottle of seafoam.. Try and be civil my friend and we will get along just fine.....

Hey and 9000, like most I am on this forum to learn and not to teach most of the time...

Last edited by JIBBBY; 11-23-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Smile Cleaning ...................

Just use a gallon of Xylene and fill your tank up with 93 gas You can get it at your local Sherwin-Williams store. 99.8% of Fuel system cleaners you pour in your tank is Xylene (read the back label) and it's already in your gasoline for cleaning and octane increase from the refineries..
It's 117 octane and cleans ports, back of intake valves, tops of pistons. Or just run a couple of gallons of E-85 gas The alcohol will clean the same parts and it's 105 octane!!!!! Save money and it cleans... We do this all the time in our club (Turbo Buick Club)...

Old 11-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by acme
Just use a gallon of Xylene and fill your tank up with 93 gas You can get it at your local Sherwin-Williams store. 99.8% of Fuel system cleaners you pour in your tank is Xylene (read the back label) and it's already in your gasoline for cleaning and octane increase from the refineries..
It's 117 octane and cleans ports, back of intake valves, tops of pistons. Or just run a couple of gallons of E-85 gas The alcohol will clean the same parts and it's 105 octane!!!!! Save money and it cleans... We do this all the time in our club (Turbo Buick Club)...

Will this really remove all the years of carbon buildup in the motor like seafoaming does?
Old 11-23-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never used seafoam myself. I use Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner. I love the stuff. To tell you the truth, it is probably just repackaged seafoam.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Smile Cleaning..

Will this really remove all the years of carbon buildup in the motor like seafoaming does?

Do a search on these sites for Xylene and E85, we use it in our Turbo Buicks for octane boost and keeps them clean too. Also E85 helps loosing and remove carbon too.
Xylene will soften the carbon and will remove it, we seen this after taken the heads off to put ported heads on our race car.
Put a couple of gallons of E85 in when your tank is 1/2 full and fill the rest with your favorite 87 or 93 octane and it will clean your injectors, valves and the combustion chamber and keep it clean...This amount won't hurt your fuel system. Your car will feel like it has 25 more HP....

http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/index.php

http://www.turbobuick.com/

http://toxipedia.org/display/toxipedia/Xylene

Old 11-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Village Idiot

Acme wow, this is very good information and that would be alot easier to use then Seafoam...

So Xylene and E85 just added into your fuel will clean the engine fully and give you more power just for kicks... It sounds too good to be true... I will look into this further..

My question is this stuff easy to get? Where do you find it and is a one time use going to do the trick or do you have to run in several tanks of gas for it to be effective?

Last edited by JIBBBY; 11-24-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Smile Ingredients

Forgot to add the contents of Gasoline from Chevron's MSDS site:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Material Safety Data Sheet SECTION 1 PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION

CHEVRON and TEXACO PREMIUM UNLEADED GASOLINES Product Use: Fuel
Product Number(s): CPS201019 [See Section 16 for Additional Product Numbers]
Synonyms: Calco Premium Gasoline, Chevron Premium Unleaded Gasoline, Chevron Supreme Unleaded Gasoline, Texaco Power Premium Unleaded Gasoline
Company Identification
Chevron Products Company
Marketing, MSDS Coordinator
6001 Bollinger Canyon Road
San Ramon, CA 94583
United States of America

Transportation Emergency Response
CHEMTREC: (800) 424-9300 or (703) 527-3887
Health Emergency
ChevronTexaco Emergency Information Center: Located in the USA. International collect calls accepted. (800) 231-0623 or (510) 231-0623
Product Information
Technical Information: (510) 242-5357

SPECIAL NOTES: This MSDS applies to: all motor gasoline.

SECTION 2 COMPOSITION/ INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

COMPONENTS CAS NUMBER AMOUNT
Gasoline 6586290-81-5 100 %volume
Benzene 71-43-2 0.1 - 4.9 %volume
Toluene (methylbenzene) 108-88-3 1 - 17 %volume
Ethyl benzene 100-41-4 0.1 - 3 %volume
Xylene (contains o-, m-, & p- xylene isomers in varying amounts) 1330-20-7 1 - 15 %volume
Butane 106-97-8 1 - 12 %volume
Heptane 142-82-5 1 - 4 %volume
Hexane 110-54-3 1 - 5 %volume
Cyclohexane 110-82-7 1 - 3 %volume
Methylcyclohexane 108-87-2 1 - 2 %volume
Pentane, 2,2,4-trimethyl- (Isooctane) 540-84-1 1 - 13 %volume
Naphthalene 91-20-3 0.1 - 2 %volume
Ethanol 64-17-5 0 - 10 %volume
Methyl tert-butyl ether (MTBE) 1634-04-4 0 - 15 %volume
Tertiary amyl methyl ether (TAME) 994-05-8 0 - 17 %volume
Ethyl tert-butyl ether (ETBE) 637-92-3 0 - 18 %volume

Motor gasoline is considered a mixture by EPA under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA). The refinery streams used to blend motor gasoline are all on the TSCA Chemical Substances Inventory. The appropriate CAS number for refinery blended motor gasoline is 86290-81-5. The product specifications of motor gasoline sold in your area will depend on applicable Federal and State regulations.

SECTION 3 HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION

Old 11-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Village Idiot

Acne Dude, your getting too technical for me...I am just a ham and egger... Your typical backyard mechanic... I guess it's good for other advanced readers though and track racers... Love the GN cars too in your provided links.... Interiors suck but when mod'd those Grand Nationals kick ****...I always wanted one for the longest time, but they got to expensive too fast..Come to think of it I just lost a race to seriously mod'd GN a few months ago... Very fast was this super clean GN..... I think it was a drug dealer driving it, he had a little bling bling to it, and you could tell he poured tons of money into this GN..

Mopar combustion cleaner sounds like the same but without the Hp pop and the scientific mix formula.... I wonder if you have to inject the mopar like seafoam or just ad it to the fuel like the Xylene and E85? Maybe Dan Stewart can enlighten us on the Mopar cleaner..
Old 11-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Smile Xylene....

Acme wow, this is very good information and that would be alot easier to use then Seafoam...

So Xylene and E85 just added into your fuel will clean the engine fully and give you more power just for kicks... It sounds too good to be true... I will look into this further..

My question is this stuff easy to get? Where do you find it and is a one time use going to do the trick or do you have to run in several tanks of gas for it to be effective?

Xylene can be found at, Sherwin - Williams paint store, Home Depot, Lowes and any Paint or Hardware store. Just put Xylene in once a month for a few months so it can gradually loosen the carbon.
I put it in my Tundra twice a year and a couple of gallons of E85 every other week. Using small amouts won't hurt.
It's best to pour the Xylene in a 5 gallon plastic gas container with a filler tube, then put it in your tank since the metal Xylene cans have an old style metal screw type cap thats hard to pour, you'll see what I mean when you get a can. (use gloves).
Plus, use a funnel with a big opening ( we do this all the time) , just watch out for your paint, just cover up spots if you can.
My Tundra has the gas cap on the drivers side, just use a big funnel from Wal-Mart or Ace Hardware if yours is the same.
Once you do this for weeks or so, you can use Xylene once a year , the E85 will keep it clean between major cleaning.
Since E85 burns so fast (alcohol) it makes your car or truck have instant on power and it has 105 octane. My Tundra loves it (V8).
Use about 3 gallons of E85 to a full tank of 93 octane....this is what I have in my tank now..

SeaFoam I think you use it direct through your throtte plate with a hose, we just go through the tank to clean the whole kit and kabootle..

Quick Reply: Seafoaming your GM motors?