General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What mods to do this winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What mods to do this winter?

Alright, so i got my 01 z28 this summer, and it is still pretty much stock. The only mods that it has right now are a borla catback, and a slp lid. I also had the windows tinted. Im looking to spend about 3500 on the mods. Right now im thinking headers and some c6 z06 rims for sure, but im not sure what else. I was thinking maybe a cam or a stall would be the next step after the headers, but im not sure. And which one would u do first? And some what kind of cam and stall would u do? this car is my dd to and from school except for in the winter, but i do like to have some fun on the weekends.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would start with LT's, does your state require emissions? That will potentially effect your choices when it comes to exhaust. I would start with full exhaust and your rims and see what you have left over. Do you plan to do the installs yourself? A cam install with parts and a tune will run you about $2000 depending on the shop, plus full exhaust your already at $3000.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You could do headers and budget heads/cam/stall/tune with $3500. I'd go that route before I got some rims and tires which would eat up about ~$1100 for brand new tires/rims, but that's just me. If you were an M6, I'd say get a Moser 9" for sure. Wish I did that route before heads/cam. And last but not least, if you got your car just this summer and still in school and looking at probably a 60 month loan on it, I would be tempted to pay down that loan a bit to pay it off sooner.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

yea im in indiana, and they dont have emissions checks here. So im gonna go LTs with an ORY i think. But i have heard that the borla sounds bad without cats too, so i dont know. I think im gonna go LPP or pacesetters.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

o and i see what u mean about the rims eating up alot of cash, but i really im getting sick of the stock 16" snowflakes. lol
Old 11-28-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could always run true duals, 450 from texas speed or get a custom setup. I have lts with an ory and a magnaflow. People say the borla gets raspy, but it is all opinion.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:10 PM
12 Second Club

Full exhaust - $1000
Converter/tranny cooler - $750
Cam package from sponser - $650
Dyno tune (or HPTuners) - $500-650
Do all the work yourself and you have a little left over.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EJVYFZ
o and i see what u mean about the rims eating up alot of cash, but i really im getting sick of the stock 16" snowflakes. lol
Tons of deals on used wheels on here. Sponser Tomz Wheels has some good deals too.

Honstly I would go fast before wheels if it was me but everybody's different.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

I would say get the full exhaust done. I would do LPP headers if i were you with their ory into your borla for now, if its too raspy you can sell it later and get another catback. If I were you I think I would stay away from the cam and stall to help gas mileage since I have a feeling you drive your car quite a bit and maybe instead get the c6z06 rims with tires and a nice nitrous setup? you get all the power when you want it but get to retain all your drive ability when you need it goin to and from school etc. Then get yourself a full tune and you will have a very nice stout car with manners when you want them.

If you want to go the cam and stall route I would do something like a TR 224 and mid 3000 stall, that will return plenty of gains and keep great drivability.

I like to go fast before looking good, but I think wheels are a must especially with the snowflakes...I dont know who at GM thought those wheels were a good move
Old 12-09-2008, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

im new to this, so im wondering, realisticaly, what all do i have enough money to do, if i wanted to do strictly motor stuff. and i can install the exhaust, but not the cam or stall.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by EJVYFZ
im new to this, so im wondering, realisticaly, what all do i have enough money to do, if i wanted to do strictly motor stuff. and i can install the exhaust, but not the cam or stall.
Did you get my pm? If I were you I would start were others have and get your bolt-ons done first to let her breath a little better. CAI, Lid, Ported Throttle Body, Longtubes and ORY. Those mods alone are gonna make a big difference in your car. After that see what you have left and go from there.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

o sorry jrob, for some reason i didnt get it. ill check again though.