General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Downsides to convertable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^

everyone says its heavier.....well this in fact it is but a little over a hundred pounds, well anyone runnin two ghetto blaster speakers in the back of their camaro, guess what you are now as heavy as a vert. and what do you think all those sub frame connectors and torque arms weigh. your always gonna have an extra 100 pounds if both vehicles are modded the same but for the average modded f body to the average vert i bet they are closer to the same weight than most believe.

have any of your guys actually looked under a vert? the body rails from front to back are three layers of metal, unlike our thin chincy t top cars. think about it all the extra weight in the vert is the extra metal underneath it. the vert is missing a hatch and two glass t tops, all that weight is under the car. with that extra weight lower to the ground with a set of performance springs and shocks theoretically should handle better.

and noise and creeks........, what f body doesnt make weird *** noises, especially modded ones.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't feel like buying another car so the vert is going from a fast street car to a stout race car. Currently at 650 rwhp through the exhaust it goes 10.60's in street form on pump (with meth). Adding a cog drive, upping the cam from a 214-224 to a 234-240, midwest fab 9" with all supporting options, 10 point cage, 4L80e with a brake, air/water (ice) intercooler ,race fuel, etc. 9's at 140+ is the goal. Still keeping the A.C. and a mild stall. Probably won't buy another convertible and definitely never another black car, but I'm going to make the most of this one.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To some it up convertibles look like **** well at least imo.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by crapyboy750
To some it up convertibles look like **** well at least imo.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's a convertible that's all you gotta say I think a vert is a ladys car but that's just me I bet there are some nice ones out there don't get me wrond but I would never buy a vert.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

not a fan of vert camaros at all. i test drove a midnight blue ws6 with the formula spoiler and it looked nice though, even wih top up. when down the lip spoiler looked good and sleek, the t/a spoiler would probably look bad (if it ever came with it).

i'd consider it if it were a garage queen that i only drove on nice days with top off as a fun car that i never took to the track. thats a rare want though. imo the point of a car like this is its potential to keep up with more exotic cars (at least in the straights). if you have a vert, it isnt as stiff, its heavier, and you cant use it without ugly rollbar. considering t tops are almost the same thing, not much of a point in having one. just my .02
Old 12-27-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
IMO verts on f-bodies are ugly as hell.
agreed....
Old 12-27-2008, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sway99bird
It's a convertible that's all you gotta say I think a vert is a ladys car but that's just me I bet there are some nice ones out there don't get me wrond but I would never buy a vert.
Ladies car? Pull up next to Cablebandit at the track. he had a 9 second vert. don't know of too many ladies owning 9 second T\A's. You do have a point, though. Ladies LOVE verts!
Old 12-27-2008, 10:33 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeangreenHD
^^^

.....well this in fact it is but a little over a hundred pounds
True. I have compared the door stickers and it was a little over a hundred.

Yeah, ladies love verts. "Ours" is actually my wife's. However, to all those vert haters I feel sorry for you. On a beautiful day it is really nice to drop the top and go for a drive. Vert > T-top any day in my book. T-tops are a half-*** compromise. If you want to turn a 4th gen F-bod into a max performance effort, start with a hardtop. If you want a super fun cruiser for gorgeous days, get a vert. That is just my opinion and before anyone gets excited, I have two T-top cars.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Talking

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
not a fan of vert camaros at all. i test drove a midnight blue ws6 with the formula spoiler and it looked nice though, even wih top up. when down the lip spoiler looked good and sleek, the t/a spoiler would probably look bad (if it ever came with it).

i'd consider it if it were a garage queen that i only drove on nice days with top off as a fun car that i never took to the track. thats a rare want though. imo the point of a car like this is its potential to keep up with more exotic cars (at least in the straights). if you have a vert, it isnt as stiff, its heavier, and you cant use it without ugly rollbar. considering t tops are almost the same thing, not much of a point in having one. just my .02
Front to back, verts are MUCH stiffer. Torsionally, add a sub frame connector, and your there. Verts are LESS top heavy. Without the glass and metal roof, they corner better.
You can easily lose 125 lbs from the vert (making them the same weight as the t-top, by swapping the wheels for lighter versions (Centerline), and removing the spare tire and jack. This will give you a car that handles better, and performs every bit as well! Oh, did I mention Ladies LOVE VERTS. LOL!
Squeaks and rattles can be minimized by a sub frame connector, and some sound deadening. My vert has ZERO rattles or squeaks. I am not in love with top up appearance (though not bad). Top down, my vert looks like Knight Rider's evil brother !
Old 12-27-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TWS
T-tops are a half-*** compromise.
how is it half-***? half *** is a moonroof which doesnt do much. t tops are very nice and a great solution to having a stiffer, lighter car that looks better when top is on. the verts are a bit half-assed. GM didnt put much time into them, you can tell. they didnt make the top flow very well and didnt do much to prevent squeaks, flex, and road noise.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Why are verts more expensive from the factory? Oh, did I mention most verts come with every option available? Power leather seats,traction control,etc. They are loaded!
Old 12-27-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ um... all t/as do, with exception of traction control. and thats a minus.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awww this thread makes me sad, cant we just lube ourselves up and play nice?
Old 12-27-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went from a convertible Mustang to a hardtop Z. I like the tightness of the coupe, but I miss all the ragtop days.

I say get it, you won't regret it.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sway99bird
a ladies vert might be a v6 vert (if they even made em?) but this car is a v8 6 speed. i dont personally know too many women who could handle that car...
Old 12-27-2008, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
^ um... all t/as do, with exception of traction control. and thats a minus.

Unless you have a 550RWP car, or it's raining. By the way, you can turn it off.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

My vert is an m6 with cloth seats and no traction control... does have power windows and locks though. As for which leaks more t-top or vert id have to say the t-top. I had a 2000 v6 camaro ttop car back in the day and it would leak all the time from the back of the ttops. My z Vert no leaks at all.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blevinator
Unless you have a 550RWP car, or it's raining. By the way, you can turn it off.
Can you keep it off permanently? I drove the family 03 Grand Am GT for a few months and the traction control was retarded on that and I had to turn it off EVERY time i started the car. Got annoying after 2 days.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

It is defaulted as on, when you start the car. I have heard of someone reversing the switch to where it is defaulted as off. So, yes it can be done. On my car, it shows up as an orange light on the speedo that says trac off, so I know its off or on easy enough. I do turn it on when the road is wet, or bumpy. Am adding an APS TT soon. With that power, may use it more often, we'll see.