General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Have a WS.6 and thinking about a GTO.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have a WS.6 and thinking about a GTO.

Right now I have a 2001 NBM Trans Am WS.6 with T-Tops and an M6. The car is pretty much stock except for a lid,and a smooth bellow. It has 83xxx miles on it and is still in very good condition with nothing wrong with it out of the ordinary. It is also paid off.

I am debating on letting it go and putting myself in a GTO with about a quarter of the miles on it. I was online today looking at GTOs for sale around me and I found one that is in very good shape and the money is really good for the miles. It is an 06 with 19xxx miles and the want 17500. Sound good? I have to inquire on why they are letting it go and for the price.

I don't think I would miss it to much because I would be going to another LS based V8 and it would still be a GM but my only concern would be getting parts for it. I can find anything for the TA but I have looked briefly and cannot find nearly as much for an 06 GTO. Is finding aftermarket parts for it going to be a PITA? Really suspension mods are my big concern. Springs, shocks, sway bars, IRS components, front end components? I don't know much about the GTO chassis, just make it go like a raped ape

Any input would be appreciated. GTO owners, where do you get your parts?
Old 12-11-2008, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Of course this is just an opinion , although they put out more stock vs stock the GTO is kinda doggy based on my drive of it compared to F-body. Pretty clunky feeling, feels like its forcing itself to get up there. Dont get me wrong its still a bad *** machine but it sounds like if your set on making a car that really hooks up and goes id stick with what you got considering its all paid off and invest in some supsension parts, LCAs Torque arm, Panhard bar, Subframes , and slap a head and cam on there and youd be set. Just my 2 cents tho
Old 12-11-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

I know my friends gto has much nicer interior. Much better car to drive all the time imo.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mvrotc
Of course this is just an opinion , although they put out more stock vs stock the GTO is kinda doggy based on my drive of it compared to F-body. Pretty clunky feeling, feels like its forcing itself to get up there. Dont get me wrong its still a bad *** machine but it sounds like if your set on making a car that really hooks up and goes id stick with what you got considering its all paid off and invest in some supsension parts, LCAs Torque arm, Panhard bar, Subframes , and slap a head and cam on there and youd be set. Just my 2 cents tho
My buddy has an 04 GTO and I have a 98 TA and his ride feels much smoother than mine. I agree with the previous reply though. You've got it paid off and 83,000 miles isn't that bad for an F-Body. You get the nice interior and other luxuries with the GTO, but the TA is one of the most aggressive looking cars out there. I'd say keep yours and enjoy not having a car payment and throw a h/c and some other mods on and enjoy the TA.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RedneckTA
My buddy has an 04 GTO and I have a 98 TA and his ride feels much smoother than mine. I agree with the previous reply though. You've got it paid off and 83,000 miles isn't that bad for an F-Body. You get the nice interior and other luxuries with the GTO, but the TA is one of the most aggressive looking cars out there. I'd say keep yours and enjoy not having a car payment and throw a h/c and some other mods on and enjoy the TA.
+1. The GTO just isn't appealing to me. My ws6 is just a mean, sexy looking car!

Although a 05+ gto with an ls2 wouldn't be bad...
Old 12-11-2008, 02:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mvrotc
GTO feels kinda doggy? clunky? huh? Sorry man I don't know what GTO you have driven but it feels like my LS2 GTO moves out just as good if not better than my SS did. Handles better too.

Originally Posted by FireChickenws6
Right now I have a 2001 NBM Trans Am WS.6 with T-Tops and an M6. The car is pretty much stock except for a lid,and a smooth bellow. It has 83xxx miles on it and is still in very good condition with nothing wrong with it out of the ordinary. It is also paid off.

I am debating on letting it go and putting myself in a GTO with about a quarter of the miles on it. I was online today looking at GTOs for sale around me and I found one that is in very good shape and the money is really good for the miles. It is an 06 with 19xxx miles and the want 17500. Sound good? I have to inquire on why they are letting it go and for the price.

I don't think I would miss it to much because I would be going to another LS based V8 and it would still be a GM but my only concern would be getting parts for it. I can find anything for the TA but I have looked briefly and cannot find nearly as much for an 06 GTO. Is finding aftermarket parts for it going to be a PITA? Really suspension mods are my big concern. Springs, shocks, sway bars, IRS components, front end components? I don't know much about the GTO chassis, just make it go like a raped ape

Any input would be appreciated. GTO owners, where do you get your parts?
I like to shop over at Maryland Speed. They do great stuff for GTO's and usually have a ton of good deals. Check out www.ls1gto.com if you want more info on GTO's, they are helpful there. There are pretty much just as many parts for the LS2 as the LS1. A thing to keep in mind is they are usually much more expensive though. The suspensions they offer for the GTO are great, however my stock one isn't NEARLY as bad as an f-bodies suspension. Make sure to check yours out and make sure it doesnt have any of the front suspension problems. If it has 18's then it doesn't.

All in all I love my GTO and am glad I gave up the SS for it. MUCH better all around car. I still get compliments. Actually less compliments from guys and more from girls now on how much they like the INTERIOR. Something I never heard in the Camaro...

PM me if you have any specific questions, if not I'll troll this thread every now and then.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven both, (never owned either) but I'm still trying to decide which I want. I like the looks of the TA but the interior of the GTO is more comfortable, though I like the TA dash better. I think the GTO would be much better on a long trip. Also the GTO seems easier to get in and out of compared to the long doors and seat position of the TA. I plan to drive a few more of each before I make up my mind, if I do decide to get a newer car.

You say you are concerned with suspension mods but didn't say what your goal is. I think the GTO would be better for handling, but the IRS is the weak link for drag racing. Though you can get upgraded CV shafts, and I think their are solid mounts for the diff.

I would rather have an LS2 over the LS1 any day but both can make good power, and a LS2 block could be used in a TA. Too much to consider. It's a tough decision!!! lol
Old 12-11-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

06 with that mileage for 17500 is a good deal IMO. 6spd or auto?

-J
Old 12-11-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can prolly find one for $1k or two less. Check out the ones on Ebay with no reserve, some with low miles going for $10,000. I have watched some be reposted so no one is going to outbid you.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Banned

I kicked my own *** for waiting as long as I did to get rid of my Camaro and get a GTO.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I like the 06 Goats alot. My friend had one and the interior was nice and the exhaust sounds good. I would get one but would not get ride of my f-body.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
You can prolly find one for $1k or two less. Check out the ones on Ebay with no reserve, some with low miles going for $10,000. I have watched some be reposted so no one is going to outbid you.
THERE ARE NO LS2 GTO's GOING FOR $10,000... THIS IS A USELESS POST

(Yes I mean't all capitals)
Old 12-11-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have thought of this too, but its mostly the interior i like from the GTO. 05's and up look nicer in my book with the dual exhaust and hood scoops. But you can get a C5 for around the price of a GTO and thats what im torn between.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lastcall190
06 with that mileage for 17500 is a good deal IMO. 6spd or auto?

-J
The GTO is a M6.

I think I am going to sit on this for a little bit. Thank you to every one for there input. Keep it comming. I think the big factor would be selling my car. If I get and offer than I might reconsider but right now it IS payed off and trying to sell a car right now is a biotch.

I found a buisness park today that has that really nice black mirror glass and you can't see it from the road. I think I might go do a nice LITTLE burnout and renew the vows
Old 12-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Launching!

Yeah, thinking it over can't hurt. I do like the GTO though. Really smooth looking car. A little more subtle than an F-body. I like em both. If a nice GTO popped its head up when I was looking... I might have bought one.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was squaring up to get myself an 05/06 GTO when I sold my f-body... decided against it for a few reasons, but I've driven my friend's 06 a few times and it is really a great car. Does some things better than the f-body, some not as good. Each have their pros and cons, I would drive one a few times.

-J
Old 12-11-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

id keep the WS6!!
Old 12-12-2008, 07:01 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You can't deny the GTO's performance credentials, but to me, horsepower can be had in just about any car make, model, etc. The real issue is how's it gonna' look? I won't say the GTO is "ugly" but it sure as hell isn't as bold or, dare I say, as beautiful as a WS6 T/A...
Old 12-12-2008, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
I like the 06 Goats alot. My friend had one and the interior was nice and the exhaust sounds good. I would get one but would not get ride of my f-body.
I agree with Detoxx, I love the interior's and the LS2 but I like the looks of a ws6 better.

If only f-bodies would have came with an LS2 and awesome interior
Old 12-12-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

sorry to knock the gto because it does perform above class tandard, but i would hate everyone seeing it pass by and think it was just a grand prix etc.....at a quick glance they dont not look like anything out of the ordinary. somebody will glance at your ta even if it had a 6cyl and be like damn!

i might have to take your side on the dd smooth ride of a gto, im sure its better than an f body. independant rear suspension though.......eeeeehh.