General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: What are your opinions?
Royal Purple
45.38%
Mobil 1
54.62%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Royal Purple or Mobil 1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6Scottie
Let me shed my thoughts on this topic. I actually used to work with a guy several years ago and his uncle was the inventor of Mobil 1. He sold his rights to mobil 1 and has since statred another line of oil. Guess what it is? Royal Purple Thats correct but up until a few years ago the oils were identical with the exception of purple dye. But in the past couple of years mobil 1 has took the cheap route out and took some of ther detergents and other fain ingredients out to save money and the oil has not been the same. I have a really good friend of mine right now what works for penn that used to sell for mobil and he would give me mobil for my vehicles and my drag bikes. I started burning up clutch plates and could not figure out why? well the verdict was the oil.... (Mobil 1) he told me that they had changed the formula. I stoped using it and started running alyson oil....NO MORE PROBLEMS....But to answer your question....I would use Royal Purple....Its the first original formula. But I would consider amsoil or alyson
My Thoughts;
Scottie
How is the type of oil your using causing you to "burn up clutch plates"?
Old 07-10-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Just showing that if you want to run the best then there is the proof.
Making HP doesnt mean that its protecting your motor the best.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Teching In

I use Royal Purple in my Harley D F-250 superduty and the factory reccommended Mobile 1 in my 2006 CTS-V. Why would I use anything other than what the manufacturer recommends, hell it even came with the M1 logo on the oil cap. I am not bieng biased or anything, but since my car is covered by a factory warranty for 100,000 miles and till 2013. Why on earth would I change the type of oil? Now on the other hand I used to use MOTUL in my porsche!! When my warrnty runs out then I might change to something else but I will have time to research it till then...

Side note. Now I am curious at how All AMG's, Corvette C6's, Z06's, Zr1's, Vipers, Lambos, Porsches, and just about any super high end car that anyone would give their left nut for all recommend Mobile 1.... I just don't know. Serously !!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6SpeedV
!
Just cropped it.

One word. Advertising. GM could care less what oil preforms the best in the car. Mobil 1 just happened to keep paying GM to have it on there. Thats why its "recommened".

Been said again, again and again. There are FAR better oils out on the market for the same or even less than you can get Mobil 1 at and have way better protection.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:04 PM
LCW
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by proporio
How is the type of oil your using causing you to "burn up clutch plates"?
In bikes the clutches are submersed half way in the bottom end oil.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

mobile 1
Old 07-10-2009, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Just cropped it.

One word. Advertising. GM could care less what oil preforms the best in the car. Mobil 1 just happened to keep paying GM to have it on there. Thats why its "recommened".

Been said again, again and again. There are FAR better oils out on the market for the same or even less than you can get Mobil 1 at and have way better protection.
Agreed,its all big buisness. You pop the hood on a GM car it says Mobil One on the fill cap, its all for advertisment. Thats why I like to stick to smaller brands that are proven and do their testing on horsepower shows that I actually watch which Royal Purple does. I'm not saying that all the other oils out there are inferior to RP but I am biased towards it.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Purple
Old 07-11-2009, 03:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Agreed,its all big buisness. You pop the hood on a GM car it says Mobil One on the fill cap, its all for advertisment. Thats why I like to stick to smaller brands that are proven and do their testing on horsepower shows that I actually watch which Royal Purple does. I'm not saying that all the other oils out there are inferior to RP but I am biased towards it.
Thats stupid though. Why be bias towards RP? It simply doesn't lubricate well. Its a PROVEN fact. Not to mention, yea, GM's gonna recommend the oil from the company that pays them the most, but you think shows like the powerblock don't? I've noticed way before the comparision test of the plugs and oils and **** that they had ALOT of advertising on there for like Royal Purple, then sure enough they do a test and RP wins or whatnot. There bias to who pays them the most. Its business.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Just cropped it.

Just cropped it???? What the hell is that supposed to mean man? Did you not read my ******* post. Im not bias towards anything you moron. Read my post again stupid and you would see that I have a WARRANTY and I also have ALL MY OIL CHANGES PAID FOR FOR THREE YEARS and im not going to tell the dealership to change it. Did I not mention two other oils that I used? Wow I'm sorry i'm bieng so harsh but I was just cleaning up my email and I found this and it pisses me off when some one belittles some one out of pure ignorance!!!
Old 12-19-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Whatever sythetic oil is for sale i usually go with. Most of the time it is Mobil one however.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just cropped it???? What the hell is that supposed to mean man? Did you not read my ******* post. Im not bias towards anything you moron. Read my post again stupid and you would see that I have a WARRANTY and I also have ALL MY OIL CHANGES PAID FOR FOR THREE YEARS and im not going to tell the dealership to change it. Did I not mention two other oils that I used? Wow I'm sorry i'm bieng so harsh but I was just cleaning up my email and I found this and it pisses me off when some one belittles some one out of pure ignorance!!!
I cropped your post. IE Made it SMALLER.

Anyways, you do know that the Mobil used in race series is TOTALLY different then the crap on the shelves right?

They give their right nut because their right nut is attached to the brand marketing and believe it. Thats the ONLY reason that M1 is the "official" brand in so many brands and crap. Seriously, go look up how M1 preforms in the LS based engines and you'd be surprised.

I love how you call me ignorant but you believe that M1 is the best simply because the company that is PAID to have it put in their engines says so.

THATS ignorance.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Teching In

I cropped your post. IE Made it SMALLER.

Anyways, you do know that the Mobil used in race series is TOTALLY different then the crap on the shelves right?

They give their right nut because their right nut is attached to the brand marketing and believe it. Thats the ONLY reason that M1 is the "official" brand in so many brands and crap. Seriously, go look up how M1 preforms in the LS based engines and you'd be surprised.

I love how you call me ignorant but you believe that M1 is the best simply because the company that is PAID to have it put in their engines says so.

THATS ignorance.
Not one time did I say that M1 was best. Read my post again...
(Sounding retarded) I-said-I-use-it-because-I-get-it-free-DUhhhh.
Also in my post i did mention I had a porsche!!! Yes It also says MoBiL 1 on the oil filler cap buuuuut I said very clearly that I use MOTUL oil in it. Do you know what MOTUL is??????? Probably not.

I preffer ROYAL PURPLE in my diesel engine.

I know what cropping is smartass. I wanted to know; WHY? Why don't you get some coffee and wake up? Then maybe you won't be such an *******.

You don't deserve such a fine TA. What a waste!!!
Old 12-19-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Side note. Now I am curious at how All AMG's, Corvette C6's, Z06's, Zr1's, Vipers, Lambos, Porsches, and just about any super high end car that anyone would give their left nut for all recommend Mobile 1.... I just don't know. Serously !!
You didnt directly say it was best but come on now.

Typical.

You DO know the difference between a TA and a Formula right?
Old 12-19-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

From the way people are discussing the importance of the brand of oil in here it makes it sound like the brand alone could make or break an LS motor lol

Carry on.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Teching In

You didnt directly say it was best but come on now.

Typical.

You DO know the difference between a TA and a Formula right?
The formula and the T/A are similar to each other. In fact, under the body, there is virtually no difference. T/As however, tend to be a bit heavier due to the excess body mouldings and interior upgrades.

Not much at all...... Do YOU ??
Old 12-19-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

A TA is not a Formula and a Formula is not a TA however they are both Firebirds.

Regardless, glad you enjoy your Porsche, HD, CTS and so on.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never run M1 in my LS1. I have run it in the 3.8 though, and it seemd to do just fine. Increased gas mileage in the 3.8 from 22/26 to about 26/32.. A lot yes I know but that was also with plug and air filter change and dino oil to Synthetic. I then changed to RP in the 3.8 litre, and my average changed to 25/33. So I lost a little in town but gained it on the highway.

Well the first oil change I did after buying the z28 was with royal purple 10w30 "it was summer and they were out of 5w30". I did end up burning about a quart of oil however, probably not the oils fault, probably mostly the car's. I'm about ready for my next oil change, I'm at about 4600 miles.

Royal Purple has been good to me, no problems, and its VERY STICKY, I don't know why you can say it doesn't lubricate... get some on your finger then try to wash it off....

Also for those who change oil by the color...all modern oils have a detergent in them, more so in the synthetics. YOU CANNOT judge oil life by its color. If the oil looks an ugly color its doing its job. Just think that all that gunk COULD be in your engine and instead it just drains out with an oil change.

For me, its royal purple, with a mobile 1 oil filter which internally is identical to the K&N filter minus the nut, and the extra 5 bucks.

Also one more quicky, you don't have to change the oil every 3000 miles. Some of you people that are calling RP gimmicky and M1 gimmicky also say you change your oil at 3k miles...THAT is a gimmick just like putting M1 stickers on the oil caps to our cars. Another way for the oil companies to make money. When running a synthetic, you typically can go 6-8k miles before an oil change if your not racing it, and dino oils probably about 5k miles being the high side. Fact is dino oils break up sooner then synthetics so don't last quite as long..

I don't follow gimmics, my experience is from what I have tried and what has worked for me. M1 in an LSx engine though I can't say, I've only run M1 in the v6 Camaro and the 2.0 litre ford.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

well this should be the last post of this thread. Royal Purple is crap period, one of the worst oils out there. Proven by UOA's and other wear tests. As for mobil well its not a true synthetic anymore just another blend. So the answer to this question is that use neither. Go with Penzoil Plat. or Amsoil, they have the best UOA results etc. If you must pick between RP or M1, hands down M1 would be your best choice, RP is by far some of the worst crap out there, hell even walmart brand oil had better UOA's
Old 12-19-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Mobil 1 or Motul if you got paper.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple or Mobil 1?