General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

i totaled my Trans Am yesterday. Need Advice. (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check it out -> http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...2&rdpage=thumb
Old 01-05-2009, 03:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by transamsrock
[quote]Price includes all charges to be paid by customer except for tax, tags, title, document fee, detailing, reconditioning, and etch. price reflects 2000 cash or trade equity. yep ...it's all out in the open .... fix your car and don't let them total it ..get more than one estimate(a gm dealer esp. for at least one estimate)
Old 01-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Launching!

The apraiser just looked at mine and it is 3500 in damages. replacing hood, front bumper cover, passaner fender, fix rear bumper, replace headlight cover. Paint the whole front end and blend into fenders, paint the rear.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matthewjosh
The apraiser just looked at mine and it is 3500 in damages. replacing hood, front bumper cover, passaner fender, fix rear bumper, replace headlight cover. Paint the whole front end and blend into fenders, paint the rear.
Did your airbags deploy?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Texfinn
Did your airbags deploy?
No they did not
Old 01-05-2009, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matthewjosh
No they did not
Those will add quite a big penny for OP's damage, plus the windshield, so I'd be really surprised if it is not totalled.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not a total and if it by some chance turns out to be a tottal its an easy fix but without seeing some underhood pics i cant guarentee it. PM more pics if you want I used to buy my cars at a salvage auction to repair them
Old 01-05-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by transamsrock
btw the engine starts but cuts out. i think it cuts when ya step on the gas.
That could be anything. You said it looked like the airbox and MAF were pushed back a little? Restricted air flow, maybe damaged the MAF sensor and/or throttle body. Something like that I doubt you did any major damage to the motor. I wouldn't be too worried about that part, it is minor compared to the rest.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Teching In

That's nothing, junkyards would be best source. I've heard tacreations is good, no personal experience but check it out. Keep your Bird dude. Look at it this way, you buy a vette without knowing who's been driving it. Is your TA your first car? If yes then fix it, that's a rule. If you crash it a second time then it's your choice. I know how you feel, same thing happend to me 10/21/07.
It will pass trust me. Wait til I show you before and after pics of mine. It's your decision. You'll see a red TA down the street if you drive in your vette and it will bring back memories, can you live with that?
Old 01-05-2009, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ill go ahead and tell you that a friend of mine wreaked his camaro and it looked fixable but by the time it got to the body shop and inspected it was totalled. it deployed both bags busted the windsheild broke the dash busted the hood and headlight and messed up the bumper, on more inspection in pushed the radiator panel into the the radiator and busted it.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh ill also note that the airbags arent cheap and if they deploy the sensing module has to be replaced as well.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xXGhosTBirDXx
You'll see a red TA down the street if you drive in your vette and it will bring back memories, can you live with that?
But that Vette wouldn't most likely have a salvage title and hence resale value cut in half, if not more.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Texfinn
But that Vette wouldn't most likely have a salvage title and hence resale value cut in half, if not more.
True to that my friend, I guess some individuals buy their cars with the option open for reselling. Not like me, I buy to keep plus TA are collectibles. You know the suspension could also be messed up. Nothing like raising up the bird to look under it.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

A salvage title will not cut the value in HALF. Hardly. I've owned several salvaged vehicles in the past, sold several, and still own two (including my T/A). There is absolutely nothing wrong with a salvage title to 90% of the people I've dealt with. All the cars I've sold with a salvaged title I've had pictures of the damage beforehand, and listed what I've replaced, and people were fine with that. And even then, the worst I got was about 80% of the full value of the car. I've even sold salvaged vehicles for full "clean" title price. If the vehicle is clean enough to begin with, and the repairs were done right, a salvaged title is nothing more than a marking on the title. It's different on a newer car where the value might be $30k plus, but on older cars like ours, that might be worth $8k on it's best day, it's not hard to get 75% of the value in damages.

And moving on... I sure wish I could've found a $60 Trans Am bumper when I needed one!!! Not anywhere in AZ, that's for sure. And the few 4-gens I've seen in the boneyards, I wouldn't have put those parts on my car, talk about flogged! Mine was damaged in the front corner. I did all the paint/body work. The hood and door I repaired. I had to replace the fender, bumper cover, and headlight, as well as a few misc parts. A new GM bumper cost me about $500 I think at my wholesale cost (it went up from $382 a few months earlier!!), the fender was just under $200. The GM price for the headlight was just under $600, so I got a used one off ebay for $225. All said and done, parts only cost me $1500. That does not include paint, fiberglass repair, and labor. That's where I'm glad I learned paint and bodywork!

Yours looks crunched fairly good. It's hard to tell without and underhood shot, but you will need the bumper cover, hood, headlights, and a lot of the bolt on core support structure. Looks like the core support might need to be pulled also, if it interfered with the airbox, MAF, and radiator. Given all that, plus the airbags and windshield, I'd bet they will total it. But even then, if it were me, I'd buy it back. Windshield is about $200, airbags can be had for around $300 or less on ebay if memory serves me right. The frame shop should be able to get everything straightened for about $400, if it's only the core support, and nothing more in the suspension. It's doable for sure. The other thing that is a factor is your insurance company. I know some companies like Progressive, and maybe Geico will sometimes price out inferior imported parts on repair work. That might not total your car, but you might be short on funds on repair money. They might also try to cut a check ASAP so they close the case before you can research it.

So I guess just weigh your options, and don't jump and and sign anything on the spot.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Ouch man I know how that feels, just got my TA totaled-was a 2000 with 46K on her and she was prestine. Insurance gave me $9500 for it, and then I bought it back. Right now I am parting it out. I got all those parts too! lol. Your car looks better then mine did. Check it out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...nce-parts.html

First link has pics.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah i too have owned a couple salvage title cars and never had a problem selling them and i still get about 75-80% of book on it, sometimes more. My truck is salvage title and i had a guy offer to buy it. I told him it has a prior salvage and showed him pics and he look over the repairs. Didn't scare him away and he still talks about how he wants it. It's one of the more rare trucks(2000 Silverado reg cab, stepside with a 4.8 and 5 speed 4X4) My vette was a repairable however it didn't have a salvage title. The insurance company was gonna fix it and the owner wanted a full repaint but the insurance company said he had to pay the difference. He sold the car outright and took his check. Bought it for $10,500 and put another $1500 in parts and paint w/ materials. I did the work myself as my father owns a body shop and i've done work on cars since i was 5.

O/P i'd venture to guess that if bags are blown it's borderline. Most insurance will total a deployed car. Not always but alot of the time. If the bags have not been blown it would be an easy fix, maybe 3-4 days of work if you take your time. i did my fix in 4 days from the day i got my parts. i took my time and prepped good. turned out good i think.~Cole~

During the fix:

after the fix:

Old 01-05-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would say if they total it the air bags would be the reason with the dash that stuff is expensive the car dosent look bad
Old 01-05-2009, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
I agree, dosen't look that bad to me. Easy fix. Insurance might total it due to age (it's an 11 year old car) and air bag deployment, but if they do, I'd buy it back and fix it yourself. My $0.02
Do this for sure. I 100% regret not buying my old car back x65,000
Old 01-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Teching In

It's fixable. I had a 94 and it was totaled and no air bags went off. But since you rearended someone, I'd stall to see if someone tries to sue, and your your insurance gets math happy and would have to get rid of the wrecked car or the new one.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:59 PM
10 Second Club

i know your pain my car in sig was hit in rear the other day by some tool doing
80 mph.....im guessing its totaled we will see. yea its the car in my avatar she was a beauty and i had tons of time/money invested.

Quick Reply: i totaled my Trans Am yesterday. Need Advice. (pics)