General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Drop the Motor or Leave in car and drop tranny for stall?
Drop the motor!
40.91%
Drop the tranny and leave motor in car!
59.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Drop the motor or not????

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009 | 06:27 PM
Restricted User

Default Drop the motor or not????

Ok guys this is what has been on my mind.... ill be installing these parts:

Vig 3600 Stall
LS6 Intake
Headers
Heads
Cam

Should I just drop the motor or should i do the H/C/I in the car or just drop the tranny?

Dropping the motor doesn't seem hard at all and seems like it would save alot of time and fighting on installation....
Old 01-06-2009 | 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1BAD_LS1
Dropping the motor doesn't seem hard at all
I lol'd.

It's not the hardest thing ever, but not exactly fun, or easy. I've done it with it in the car. It's not NEARLY as bad as you think.
Old 01-06-2009 | 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Either way your looking at a good time investment in disassembly, reasembly, timing. Whatever you choose, take your time and get 'er done right!
Old 01-06-2009 | 06:53 PM
On The Tree

dropping the engine is EASY!!!!!! just drop it!
Old 01-06-2009 | 06:55 PM
Teching In

I dropped my motor twice last night. It was wonderful.
Old 01-06-2009 | 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

i say either or.
Old 01-06-2009 | 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I vote pull the moter with the trans. Its so easy to bolt the trany back to the engine when its out of the car and putting every thing up in in one piece is easy too. See sig, There are alot of pics of mine comming out the bottom that might you.
Old 01-06-2009 | 08:04 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by conan
I vote pull the moter with the trans. Its so easy to bolt the trany back to the engine when its out of the car and putting every thing up in in one piece is easy too. See sig, There are alot of pics of mine comming out the bottom that might you.
I think im just gonna pull the motor/trans out as a whole like you said....Just seems easier... may take more time but i think it will be easier to do the job right!

Thanks
Old 01-06-2009 | 10:53 PM

Drop the motor and do the job right man, you'll wish you had in the long run.
Old 01-06-2009 | 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

One more thing There are ground wires bolted to the back of the heads so lower the engine slow and the you can get in their and unbolt them and unplug the cam sensor and oil press sensor with the intake on.
Old 01-08-2009 | 02:05 PM
Restricted User

One more thing There are ground wires bolted to the back of the heads so lower the engine slow and the you can get in their and unbolt them and unplug the cam sensor and oil press sensor with the intake on.
ok thanks for the tips!
Old 01-12-2009 | 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

i see dropping the engine as a lot of extra work.. i would just rip the old exhaust off.. pull the tranny.. then do the heads and cam.. put the headers on while everything is basically still appart... (the tranny, valve covers, and intake manifold).. that should give you plenty of room to maneuver on the top and bottom of the engine for really easy access to all the header bolts.. get everything buttoned up, then do the converter, and put the tranny back in...
Old 01-12-2009 | 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive done cams in car stalls in car and swapped my motor and then did a full t56 swap on my car. i say leave the motor in the car theres so many little things when pulling the motor its a pin
Old 01-12-2009 | 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Dude, leave the motor in. thats a bunch of extra work just to make a few steps go slightly quicker.

why are you guys acting like you have to pull the motor to do it right??? thats a load of crap.
Old 01-12-2009 | 03:02 PM
10 Second Club

it is a toss up for me. About the same amount of work either way. Pulling the motor would make the head/cam swap easier. If I was doing that much work in one shot I think I would just drop the motor.
Old 01-12-2009 | 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
Dude, leave the motor in. thats a bunch of extra work just to make a few steps go slightly quicker.

why are you guys acting like you have to pull the motor to do it right??? thats a load of crap.
You don't have to pull the engine to do it "RIGHT". If the trany was staying in the car I would say to leave it, but with removing the trany and heads and every thing else he would be a half hour from having the entire drive train on the floor. So the time spent removing every thing and reinstalling every thing to a block thats in the car. It's probly going to be the same time removing every thing and reinstalling every thing in one big piece. headers, intake trany... every thing. I've removed my engine and trany twice now and the second time I had the engine and trany out of the car in 4 hours. When I reinstalled every thing I had every thing on the engine including the blower. The radiator and the wiring harnes was the only things left to install. Verry easy IMHO, it can be done either way, to each their own.
Old 01-13-2009 | 03:27 AM
Restricted User

You don't have to pull the engine to do it "RIGHT". If the trany was staying in the car I would say to leave it, but with removing the trany and heads and every thing else he would be a half hour from having the entire drive train on the floor. So the time spent removing every thing and reinstalling every thing to a block thats in the car. It's probly going to be the same time removing every thing and reinstalling every thing in one big piece. headers, intake trany... every thing. I've removed my engine and trany twice now and the second time I had the engine and trany out of the car in 4 hours. When I reinstalled every thing I had every thing on the engine including the blower. The radiator and the wiring harnes was the only things left to install. Verry easy IMHO, it can be done either way, to each their own.
I agree..

I really think i would spend as much time or more time fighting with everything while its in the car. Thats why i decided to just pull it all together..lol
Old 01-13-2009 | 05:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

STOCK 1998 TA, A4, GU5 3.23 10 bolt - 288rwhp 304rwtq ::::

Why are you numbers so low?
Old 01-13-2009 | 05:43 AM
Launching!

buy a k member if you pull it and do it all at once
Old 01-13-2009 | 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

I've pulled two engines, one from the top and one from the bottom. Switched heads multiple times, both with the engine in and out of the bay. I really don't see the benefit for the h/c swap, there's plenty of room in the engine bay. the added difficulty of having the engine in the bay sure wouldnt make up for the 4 hrs to pull the motor and tranny. i'll give you lining up the transmission is easier with motor out though, lol