General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Dealer and headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont mess with the dealership for **** they are to expensive.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RsSean
Piping in late, but headers will void the warranty. .
I had my whole T56 completely rebuilt under the factory warranty with Mac headers and an ory pipe on the car when it was less than a year old. The techs all looked at it and made comments like, "I like your exhaust guy" and wondered where I got the 02 simms.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I am glad you guys are so lucky. I tried to fight it in court. It failed. AS states in the paper work. ANY modifications done to the vehicle that are not GM approved parts will void the factory warranty. If you are lucky and the service manager over looked great for you. If you guys like I can pull the file and post this via pics or scanned sheets of where this says it. I have been done that. Just advise take it for what it is worth.

It will void the follow. Headers. Complete drivetrain warranty, any emission related concerns., i.e cats and egr etc. Since the cars did not come from the factory with headers that is grounds for voiding.

Take it for what it is worth. O it may also be a warranty block on other items too.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
Don't dealers get reimbursed from GM/Chrysler/Ford whoever when they fix stuff under the factory warrenty.

That's money in the bank for them, espcically in a bad economy.

Why would any of them want to void a warrenty and miss out on business/money?

Seems like they are shoting themselves in the foot.

Hell if I was a dealer I'd be like hmm smaller pulley and stock injectors. Sure we can replace your engine under warrenty. *send invoice to Ford*

And when it's out of warrenty we'll replace it again for even more money at the customers expense. Mod away!
There are 2 rates for doing jobs, Repair, and Warranty repair. Usually waranty repair only pays about half. So if say your starter replacement calls for 2 hrs or labor, warranty rate would only be 1 hr. So Im not sure how exactly that works for the dealer but for the mechanic they only get half of what they would be paid if some other guy with the same car/problem just pulled in needing it fixed....
Old 02-04-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought my car used at a toyota dealership and purchased an extended warranty through toyota, I just have to take it to a GM dealer when it needs repairs and there service guy calls up my warranty guy and they take care of the payment.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnuson Moss does not protect the consumer from having a warranty voided for modifications if the warranty specifically outlines that a particular modification will void the warranty.

This is how Nissan can get away with voiding the warranty on the tranny of the GTR if you use the Launch Control.

Section 2302. Rules governing contents of warranties

(a) Full and conspicuous disclosure of terms and conditions; additional requirements for contents In order to improve the adequacy of information available to consumers, prevent deception, and improve competition in the marketing of consumer products, any warrantor warranting a consumer product to a consumer by means of a written warranty shall, to the extent required by rules of the Commission, fully and conspicuously disclose in simple and readily understood language the terms and conditions of such warranty. Such rules may require inclusion in the written warranty of any of the following items among others:

(1) The clear identification of the names and addresses of the warrantors.
(2) The identity of the party or parties to whom the warranty is extended.

(3) The products or parts covered.

(4) A statement of what the warrantor will do in the event of a defect, malfunction, or failure to conform with such written warranty - at whose expense - and for what period of time.

(5) A statement of what the consumer must do and expenses he must bear.

(6) Exceptions and exclusions from the terms of the warranty.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

See here with Subaru we have to prove that the modification caused the failure. If we can't prove the failure, it gets covered. If their is doubt it may or may not have, only Subaru, not the dealer can deny the warranty claim. So they make the decision.

I have covered engine repairs under warranty on STI's and WRX's when they have full exhaust/catless, tuned, etc. I have also had customers stuff denied and we replaced the short block and rebuilt the heads due to upgraded turbo swaps and all too. It can work both ways for us.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RsSean
ANY modifications done to the vehicle that are not GM approved parts will void the factory warranty. .

he didn't have a factory warranty tho. it was an extended warranty. And you just picked the wrong shop, or were a ***** to the service manager. one or another.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It technically by definition is not an extended warranty it is an extended service contract and I am sure in the contract it states that any mods will void it they just didnt find out about them this time if anything big happens and they inspect the vehicle make sure the parts are not on the car when you bring it in. Like transmission, rear end, or anything that might cost more than about 1500 just trying to help not trying to be a bitch.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TurbopigB4C
It technically by definition is not an extended warranty it is an extended service contract and I am sure in the contract it states that any mods will void it they just didnt find out about them this time if anything big happens and they inspect the vehicle make sure the parts are not on the car when you bring it in. Like transmission, rear end, or anything that might cost more than about 1500 just trying to help not trying to be a bitch.

directly from dictionary.com.

Extended warranty
An extended warranty, sometimes called a service agreement, a service contract, or a maintenance agreement, is a prolonged warranty offered to consumers. The extended warranty may be offered by the warranty administrator, the retailer or the manufacturer.

service contract, service agreement and/or maintenance agreement are all synonyms for extended warranty.

You cant really say that it is written into the agreement, contract, whatever you would like to call it, because we cant see what he signed. I've had extended warrantys before and I never read that any mods will viod the warranty. they just cover what is, and is not coverd by it.

I.E.- if my oil pump in my 5.7 vortec goes out, they dont cover any other gaskets not directly related to the oil pump or gaskets that involve the oil pump its self. like the oil pan gasket is my responsibility.