General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Engine questions: 2002 ss ls1 19k miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine questions: 2002 ss ls1 19k miles

I know of a person selling an engine with 19k on it, it has patriot heads, not sure which ones exactly, fast 90mm with throttle body. He states that it had a rocker come loose and caused the lifter to jump out, causing some damage to the block, which then locked the cam broke the timing chain and bend a couple valves. He states it did not damage pistons or any of the bottom end. The engine does not come with the oil pan, coils, accessories, or fuel injectors.

My question is can that be fixed at all where the lifter damaged the block (i understand that somethings you have to see to know the extent of damage, but i am not to sure what they can do with these blocks.)

Also wondering what do you think this engine would be worth?
Old 02-17-2009, 01:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bump, can anyone help, should I have posted in a different section? I tried to search about damage like this but did not seem to find anything.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I say run away sounds like a ton of trouble.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the way the LS1 operates as far as the lifters being underneath where the head mounts instead of in a lifter valley I don't think its possible that the lift could "jump out" as the guy put it. I don't see a rocker coming loose causing all that damage, sounds like something else going on and he is just trying to cover something up. I would say stay away from it. Sounds like trouble.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alright thanks for the input guys, I hadn't really heard of something like this happening so did not know. The guy is asking $900 for it though is what was making me think it could be a decent buy with the fast 90 and 90mm tb.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:51 PM
10 Second Club

Well if he only wants $900 and thats with the Fast intake and TB then its may not be to bad of a deal I guess. I just don't think I would use the motor. Brand new the FAST intakes are like $850 so if this is the intake and throttle body for $900 then maybe go for it. I have always heard that the fast TB's have problems sticking though because of the way the throttle blade cam works, might want to to look into this. It can be a pretty annoying problem to have your throttle constantly at 2k rpm.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I will have to look into that a little, that would not be good having the throttle stick. What about the heads how expensive do you think repairs could get on that, he said he thinks it just bent a couple valves, but I do not know what all is wrong with them.

Think it would be worth getting for the intake throttle body and then part out crank rods pistons assuming those are all ok?
Old 02-18-2009, 08:21 AM
10 Second Club

I would buy it. If you look at this way. You talk the man down to 800. Take the intake and TB off and keep them. Un bolt the Patriot heads and take them to a machince shop and see what it would cost to fix them. If reasonable fix, if not strip the heads and sell them. Or take them to a scrap yard and make bank off the aluminum. Take the short block to the machine shop as well if you do not know what you are looking for and have them check it out for you. If you don't go threw with buying, would you please PM.
Thanks