General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I wrecked at 120

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wrecked at 120

Yep, I was cruising down the turnpike on a sunday evening, no traffic, nice concrete barriers and guard rails on each side.
Seemed like a nice time to check the wot tuning I just did for my new converter. It was a 2 1/2 hour drive so I did it several times. Later I did it one more time and it just hit a sweet spot or sand in the road, I don't know but it just pulled like hell, then started going sideways.

I've done this several times going 90 to 120 in a 75 nova with 3" front tires and pulled out of it, so I thought I can do this.
Maybe I could have but I was sliding toward the beginning of a concrete barrier, so instead of turning into the slide I had to turn out. This gave me enough room to turn into it again, but that meant turning toward the concrete even more which made me turn away, which lead to a fish tail, which somehow got me into the center of the two lanes.
So then I try to stop over compensating, which somehow lead me to going backwards at about who knows what mph. So now I'm fish tailing going backwards or maybe I was spinning in circles, I don't know.

All I remember at that point was my gut getting real tight waiting for that big bang and sudden stop. But then the back of the car hit the barrier, turned it back straight. I cranked it up and hauled *** out of there.

I honestly thought I was spinning and slamming the front and rear against the barriers. So I drove 60 miles home before getting out and just walking in the house.

I don't understand myself. I was nervous just driving, thats nothing new.
But during all this I was calm. The first thought i got was to duck down and wait til it stops, but .1 second later I realized this is a fight for possibly my life, and my car, I had to try and save both.

I got lucky the car only took one good hit, but it was enough to open the gaps on both sides of the rear hatch.
It hit the metal under the bumper cover and it hit the CD changer. The lights didn't break but the whole drivers side rear panel is, I guess, pulled in. It couldn't have been pushed in. The hatch hangs over the drivers side light and the rear panel by about 2 inches. Theres not a scratch on the tailpipes somehow.

I guess I'll need that B4C body in that other thread.

BTW I got some tires so I'm still running this car again to see what gains I got with the new converter.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 03-18-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:35 AM
12 Second Club

You are one lucky person.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hell yes you are. you definately got someone looking out for you!
Old 02-16-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man, maybe time to rethink some of the things you may have been doing? Glad to see the car wasn't totaled, and that you walked away from it.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

Glad you're safe man, we all get that urge to haul *** everynow and then... its why we got the cars **** happens
Old 02-16-2009, 01:09 AM
Banned

I used to have good luck. I've had this car up to 150 before, not again anytime soon.

I keep rethinking this, it seems like I could have pulled out of it but I feel like I gave up trying and let it go. It's like I accepted my fate and let go, but then again that was about the time I was going backwards. I had no idea what to do going at least 70-80 backwards.
Thanks for the kind words.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

3 ways to look at this. Quit doing it, learn the hard way or die trying.

And as long as you don't hit me, more power to ya.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The car isn't in bad shape. I think you'll be surprised, take it to a body shop and talk to them.

You're pretty lucky, losing it at that speed is rough and it's good that you kept your head on and did what you could. It very well may have saved your ***.

Get her fixed and keep at it, unfortunately this is how you learn.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

close one man, that couldve ended alot worse
Old 02-16-2009, 01:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
3 ways to look at this. Quit doing it, learn the hard way or die trying.

And as long as you don't hit me, more power to ya.
Well I've been driving like this for 20 years or so--open road, open it up. I don't think there is a learning process, I had to have hit something slippery in the road this time. Quit doing it might be the best option, and I don't feel like taking this lesson again so I'm not going to learn. I'm going to try and keep it safe which is not doing it.

This is by far the worst situation I've been in while driving.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:31 AM
TECH Resident

In my moms grand am when I was about 16 or 17 I had my moms grand am sideways(COMPLETELY) on a gravel road and yea, its scary lmao I was on my way to work and was already late and a funeral got in front of me, so I took this "shortcut" that I'd never taken before.

It happened to be a gravel road which I'd never driven on before. The grand am was fwd so I wasn't too worried. I was doing 70 because I was on pavement at first and next thing you know its gravel, no warning or anything. Well I kept the wheel straight and just cruised. Next thing you know is I hit about a 15-20ft peice of dry pavement and back to gravel. I glanced down and looked back up and the back end is going to the right and I am facing a ditch and its a steep one! I turn the wheel to the right so fast its not even funny lmao I slung the car sideways and I saw this old guy in his truck in his driveway, he was impressed with my 50mph completely sideways drifting skills LMAO you should've seen his face like I did. I was going through all this **** and on top of it I saw him looking back with his mouth wide open. After that I was concentrating on dodging the telephone poles that were unusually far apart like 150-200ft apart. Since the car was easing closer and closer to the poles I was carefully planning when to stomp the gas to fly off into the field and avoid any kind of contact, but WAM!!! I wasn't careful enough. I hit a pole pretty damn hard, the front bumper flys off and I'm spinning into this field of I don't know what. After I'm done spinning, the old guy runs over while I'm just sitting like"damn" and asks me am I ok. Not a scratch thank God. some crazy reason the air bags didn't even deploy. I put the bumper in the back seat and carried on to work. I was weird that day. I was in shock and kept zoning out.

Never messed with gravel since especially not in the SS
Old 02-16-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

glad ur ok!

I wrecked in my 95 maxima at 110 once but into another car spinning outta control (180 degrees).....
Brakes locked up and there i went.... no abs ftl.....

and almost wrecked at 160 in my bird (when i had tuning issues) on stock tires too , glad i didnt lol
Old 02-16-2009, 02:14 AM
TECH Addict

I'd say, don't do that on the street, especially at those speeds.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:55 AM
10 Second Club

Glad you OK, it really doesn't like too bad, I was expecting a lot worse.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Nice save really. I don't usually hear about people loosing it going 120 and make it out with only a slightly damaged car. Glad your alright.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
I'd say, don't do that on the street, especially at those speeds.
I agree^^^
That is what the track is for. Is your life really worth finding out what your tune did? A lot of bad things can happen at 120, you never, ever know.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow glad you are ok. Not many people can say they walked away from hitting a wall @ 120 or somewhat that speed.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:48 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 7camaro7
Glad you're safe man, we all get that urge to haul *** everynow and then... its why we got the cars **** happens
+1..man that **** would be scary. Very luck person to not do anymore damage than that and walk away. Glad to see you still here and kicking though
Old 02-16-2009, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

Damn man, good thing your ok,cars can be replaced, your life cant.. Just think about that..
Old 02-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RacerXLs1
Damn man, good thing your ok,cars can be replaced, your life cant.. Just think about that..
X2. Glad your aright buddy.