General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Cam as first mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
why not? If your thinking is along the lines of...

"its not a great idea because you will have to get it tuned when you get the cam, then again after intake and exhaust"

then I agree, if its along the lines of...

"bolt ons should be the first mods b/c blah blah blah"

I disagree
heres some more reasons..

you will have a cam with not so friendly manners on the street without a GOOD tune by a GOOD tuner, which most people dont have..

you will get shitty gas mileage and be no faster than a full bolt on car, and honestly will probably get beat by a lot of full bolt on cars..

tell people you have an ms4 cam and then when you race you barely walk away, it would embarrass me..

you could be as fast if not faster with just bolt ons.. you would be set up for the cam later.. you would get good MPG and good manners.. and would be more of a sleeper type car..

i think it is a horrible idea..

OR you could do what i said in my initial post.. its only another 300 bucks or so, AND you would save 300 bucks cause you wouldnt have to get it retuned.. so in the end it would be like getting LT's intake cutout etc. for free.. if thats the way you wanna look at it..
Old 02-27-2009, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
heres some more reasons..

you will have a cam with not so friendly manners on the street without a GOOD tune by a GOOD tuner, which most people dont have..

you will get shitty gas mileage and be no faster than a full bolt on car, and honestly will probably get beat by a lot of full bolt on cars..

tell people you have an ms4 cam and then when you race you barely walk away, it would embarrass me..

you could be as fast if not faster with just bolt ons.. you would be set up for the cam later.. you would get good MPG and good manners.. and would be more of a sleeper type car..

i think it is a horrible idea..

OR you could do what i said in my initial post.. its only another 300 bucks or so, AND you would save 300 bucks cause you wouldnt have to get it retuned.. so in the end it would be like getting LT's intake cutout etc. for free.. if thats the way you wanna look at it..
I never said I wasnt going to tune the car with the cam only.

Not worried about gas mileage, I am buying a v8

I dont go to the track, and no one ever tries to race me on the street and if they do, good for them

I dont get embarassed easily

Patience is not my strong suit

The more people that think its a bad idea, the more drive I have to do it, unless there are real reasons, like "your engine is gonna shoot out the hood!!!"
Old 02-27-2009, 08:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you planning on doing this to an a4 or m6? Also why not just buy a car with bolt ons?
Old 02-27-2009, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

this will be a m6. If I find a car I like that has bolt ons great. I don't have to buy a bone stock car. Just figure that most I have seen around here that aren't trashed are stock
Old 02-27-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Normally I'd say do the bolt-ons first if you're looking to get great performance out of the car, but I know people who have done just a cam, and one that did just the cam and LS6 heads. He's got a sleeper cam, LS6 heads, and bone stock everything else including manifolds, cats, catback, lid, etc. He traps 114-115 depending on the weather in a car that looks and sounds BONE stock. It's a kickass sleeper. The only way you'd know it wasn't stock was if you either went for a ride in it or knew to look for the 243 stamp on the heads.

If that's what you're going for, I say go for it. Just keep in mind that the bigger you go with the cam, the less impressive it's going to be because with a bigger cam, it needs to breath in and out to make really good power. But if you keep it mild, the induction and exhaust being stock will make less of a difference and will give you a much faster car than stock without sacrificing the sound much or the drivability.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont go to the track, and no one ever tries to race me on the street and if they do, good for them

The more people that think its a bad idea, the more drive I have to do it, unless there are real reasons, like "your engine is gonna shoot out the hood!!!"
Seriously, I think you should go for it. I have the same dare to be different attitude, and if i could have afforded to go that direction i would have as well
Old 02-27-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 406malibu
Seriously, I think you should go for it. I have the same dare to be different attitude, and if i could have afforded to go that direction i would have as well
I am going to go for it.

Here's my question, how long can it be driven with an ms4 cam and no tune? Rough estimate it may be three weeks til I get a tune. Also without a tune am I going to damage anything running WOT to redline, like run too lein or too rich? Or will it be okay just run like crap?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

i would like to be faster with using less gas, than being slower using more gas.. when gas goes to 4.50$ again you will care.. been there with the ms4 and it is NOT fun.. i suppose it will be a lesson learned.
if youo dont go to the track, and you dont race.. why put such a huge cam in it? that more of a max effort cam.. why not go smaller like a 228r or a torqer2 or f13 etc........
i didnt say wait.. i said think about your options, spend 300 dollars now to save 300 dollars in the long run.. it would be stupid not to do it.. i mean seriously, THINK about this point.. you basically saying you dont care to burn 300 bucks just "because"..
there are plenty of reasons in this thread, you have just made up your mind to do something ignorant (notice i didnt say stupid, because i dont *think you are, you just dont know because you havnt been dealing with the cars that long obviously) and you wont listen to anything anyone says..

I am going to go for it.

Here's my question, how long can it be driven with an ms4 cam and no tune? Rough estimate it may be three weeks til I get a tune. Also without a tune am I going to damage anything running WOT to redline, like run too lein or too rich? Or will it be okay just run like crap?
some people have stated that they drove it for months on end on stock tune and it drove half *** decent, mine on the other hand drove like ****... even after i got my tuner to mess with it some it was still a pain in the ***.. when i got it dyno tuned it was a dream.

you very well could damage things.. you will be rich.. i wouldnt be giving it hell until you get your tune.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

I say do it. I did cam only with factory exhaust. I gutted the cats and ran a 228r with no problems. Infact I pulled my buddies MS3 powered camaro.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by StreetLethal01
I say do it. I did cam only with factory exhaust. I gutted the cats and ran a 228r with no problems. Infact I pulled my buddies MS3 powered camaro.
then im going to guess you pulled your buddy with an ms3 cam ls1 intake stock exhaust 273s etc...

with you having the ls6 intake 228r no cats 323s..

a horribly setup big cammed car will be slow.. sound good.. use **** tons of gas.. not so good street manners..
Old 02-28-2009, 01:39 AM
On The Tree

No incorrect. He had Pacesetter LTs, TSP ORY, MTI lid, LS6 intake, 373's, 6speed, and put down 405 rear wheel at TSP
I don't comment a lot because I never feel the need to, I thought I would because I have actually done this. Is the car going to drive like crap? Probably, I've tuned 2 MS4s One owner went without a tune for a while. One ran bad and the other didn't. One of my other friends installed a Torquer 3 two weeks ago and is still driving untuned and says its not bad.

Plus this guys only going to run it this way for a short time. I say go for it. Take it easy and go with Longtubes, Y and tune next.

Last edited by StreetLethal01; 02-28-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

I just read the whole thread... and 1SLwLS1 really just seems stuck on the idea of putting a max effort cam in a motor that can't breathe, and not tuning it... because "v8s are supposed to get shitty gas mileage"

Right..

Well lets pop his little bubble then..

1. Bolt on cars can be extremely fast, as we all know (or most of us do).

2. Big cam in a car without bolt ons is waiting to get laughed at.

3. Theres more to 'fast' then just getting a cam.

4. 6 Speed cars get ridiculous gas mileage for a large v8. I typically see 23 mpg in a 50/50 city highway trip. And I'm basically stock.

5. Tuning is a huge help in any of these situations. Tuning makes the car (after any big change) drive smoother and more efficiently WITH more power to boot. Pretty cool stuff, huh?

6. If you do want to get a cam, and just a cam, get one that works with stock manifolds and exhaust. Example here would be the CheatR cam but thunder racing. Powerful, and made to work with stock manifolds. Maybe you should look into that option?

I really just see someone who either didn't research, or did research and wants to refuse the obvious to be 'different', or... who the hell knows.

I say go for it. Makes a whole lot more sense then actually trying to address the real problems of the F-body such as suspension and tires...

More power = more gooder.. I forgot. Nevermind about actually making it usable or having a car that hooks...
Old 03-01-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

probably just do the timing chain, cam, and springs for now. I have always wonder what a beefy cam like the ms4 would sound like through the stock exhaust.
it would really restrict the potential of the cam...needs to breath
Old 03-01-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

dare to be different or dumb...just doesnt make sense
Old 03-01-2009, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

If you want to have the slowest cam only car around go ahead.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
If you want to have the slowest cam only car around go ahead.
I'll race him with suspension and d/rs
Old 03-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

408 with a huge shot fist
Old 03-01-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
I just read the whole thread... and 1SLwLS1 really just seems stuck on the idea of putting a max effort cam in a motor that can't breathe, and not tuning it... because "v8s are supposed to get shitty gas mileage"

Right..

Well lets pop his little bubble then..

1. Bolt on cars can be extremely fast, as we all know (or most of us do).

2. Big cam in a car without bolt ons is waiting to get laughed at.

3. Theres more to 'fast' then just getting a cam.

4. 6 Speed cars get ridiculous gas mileage for a large v8. I typically see 23 mpg in a 50/50 city highway trip. And I'm basically stock.

5. Tuning is a huge help in any of these situations. Tuning makes the car (after any big change) drive smoother and more efficiently WITH more power to boot. Pretty cool stuff, huh?

6. If you do want to get a cam, and just a cam, get one that works with stock manifolds and exhaust. Example here would be the CheatR cam but thunder racing. Powerful, and made to work with stock manifolds. Maybe you should look into that option?

I really just see someone who either didn't research, or did research and wants to refuse the obvious to be 'different', or... who the hell knows.

I say go for it. Makes a whole lot more sense then actually trying to address the real problems of the F-body such as suspension and tires...

More power = more gooder.. I forgot. Nevermind about actually making it usable or having a car that hooks...
pretty much sums this thread up..

/ignorance......... oops i mean, /thread..
Old 03-02-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

guys there is no ignorance here. This will go 3-4 weeks without exhaust/intake. I dont drive too much either, maybe 75 miles a week. I am just going to get the harder part out of the way early. This will also make the bolts ons give more of a noticable gain. If too much of a bitch to drive those 75 miles a week I can either go get a tune or carpool
Old 03-29-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I guess we can all be satisfied here. I just picked up an 02 pewter t/a that already has Mac midlengths, offroad y, borla catback, lower conrol arms, panhard bar, torque arm, front and rear sway bars, springs, lid, and tune. So the cam will be MY first mod and it already has exhaust on it! Althought, I will be upgrading those headers and y pipe to a 1 7/8 stainless headers and a y with QTP cutouts in it.