General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Any ideas what this noise could be?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any ideas what this noise could be?

I'm getting a noise from the back end of my car, and I'm thinking it may be the differential. The best I could describe the noise is like a tapping or rattling sound (not a whining or howling). The noise is only there on left turns and it doesn't really matter how fast I'm going. It always sounds the same...doesn't really get louder or anything. Also, I had my car up on a lift and I put it in drive, and one tire was spinning slower than the other. I was also able to make that tire stop spinning with very little force...I was able to do it with like 1 finger. I'm thinking it's the differential, but I also thought it might be a suspension part or maybe even brakes making the noise? Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

My Formula did this, and my WS6 does this as well. When I took my formula to the dealer, they said it was normal... I had the differential checked, backlash, all that. Even had new shims, bearings, all that non-sense replaced. Never went away. Put 3:73s in with all new parts, still did it.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have learned over the time of owning my car. Many noises don't mean anything. Our cars have many sounds that are normal.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TurdsOfMayhem
My Formula did this, and my WS6 does this as well. When I took my formula to the dealer, they said it was normal... I had the differential checked, backlash, all that. Even had new shims, bearings, all that non-sense replaced. Never went away. Put 3:73s in with all new parts, still did it.
Yea...I'm starting to think the same thing. It's not like there was any decrease in performance. I can still easily spin both tires at the same time, and it drives just fine. Any more input?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine sounds like squirrels fighting in a coffee can. Nothing to worry about though. It will eventually break but not unless I abuse it.

Anyway. I recommend starting to save for a 12-bolt. Can't hurt to upgrade.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine does the same thing, for the longest time i thought the posi was going bad, but it still spins them both, last week i changed gears, and checked everything out and it all looked good. I think its just normal.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

my car did the same thing, and then i got new wheels and tires and it stopped...