General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Are 4th Gen F-bods the last Great American Muscle Car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DNTMPME
Well, I said 900rwhp.... And I do think so... Since you would need to buy the gears, housing, axles, hardware, driveshaft, and then you would have to upgrade the the tranny if it was a T-56 and definitely if it was a 4L60.... T-56 in GTO's are much more superior than those that were in the F-bodies, especially pre-00.... I haven't heard of too many GTO guys bending shift forks or having synchro issues..... I love F-bodies, but I don't see how anyone can see they were the last true american muscle car... Muscle cars evolve along with technology... '67 Charger's had power window option.... Options don't distinguish the difference between muscle car and non-muscle car....Stature and performance do....mustangs, gto's, camaros, challengers, chargers, and even the late V8 Monte Carlos and Impala SS and Grand Prix GXP all evoke a sense of power and thrill of driving... They all perform respectably and have all evolved from something that at one time or another was a bit raw and stripped... And whether it's FWD or RWD shouldn't matter.... It's how the car makes a person feel when they drive it... Powerful and in control and knowing that you have the ability to overtake another car on the road...
A Moser 9 inch with a spool and driveshaft to handle those levels comes to around $3000.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cobra Commander
A Moser 9 inch with a spool and driveshaft to handle those levels comes to around $3000.
I just built one on Spohn performance's website and it came to nearly $4k $3802.93 to be exact.... Add shipping, panhard bar, and other misc stuff and u'll be at my estimated $5k..... Like I said in the original post.... this was an esitmated price for these as they are still in the developemental stages... Besides with IRS you also get great handling.... I think this got off topic and I am to blame.... But to answer the thread's question??? Absolutely not.... 4th gen F-body's are not the last true Great American Muscle Car...
Old 03-12-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by riceburnerZ28
Only way I would get rid of my car away is if I wrapped it around a lightpole lol! As for the muscle cars I think the 5th gen will be the last of it's kind and hopefully I will own one of those too!
my thoughts exactly...
Old 03-12-2009, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just built one on Spohn performance's website and it came to nearly $4k $3802.93 to be exact.... Add shipping, panhard bar, and other misc stuff and u'll be at my estimated $5k..... Like I said in the original post.... this was an esitmated price for these as they are still in the developemental stages... Besides with IRS you also get great handling.... I think this got off topic and I am to blame.... But to answer the thread's question??? Absolutely not.... 4th gen F-body's are not the last true Great American Muscle Car...
Lmao! First it was $5k for the rear and drive shaft. Then for the rear, driveshaft, and tranny. Now you're throwing in the panhard bar and suspension parts. I paid right about $3k for my rear and driveshaft. I guess your super duper future G Force GTO 9' will come with free shipping, new tranny and suspension too.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:38 AM
12 Second Club

Quit getting technical on what the definition of a "muscle car" is. Lets keep it to a sporty, affordable, big power American V8.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 01bird58
Quit getting technical on what the definition of a "muscle car" is. Lets keep it to a sporty, affordable, big power American V8.
That is RWD. Can't forget that important part.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01bird58
Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
That is RWD. Can't forget that important part.
I think that these two together hit the nail on the head!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Lmao! First it was $5k for the rear and drive shaft. Then for the rear, driveshaft, and tranny. Now you're throwing in the panhard bar and suspension parts. I paid right about $3k for my rear and driveshaft. I guess your super duper future G Force GTO 9' will come with free shipping, new tranny and suspension too.
If you would have read my previous post (which obviously you didn't) you would have noticed that I mentioned how weak the F-body T-56 is...which is why you would need to upgrade them...also, GTO's DON'T have panhard bars, so of coarse its not apart of the driveline! Read the posts completely and get a good understanding of the conversation before you put your 2 cents in.... I was talking about the driveline in general! The rear diff needs to be replaced at a far earlier point on an F-body to run fast 1/4 times.... The order of need of replacement on a GTO is, Driveshaft ($800), then CV's ($1000 rated @ 900rwhp), then axle stubs ($1000)...then you dont have anything to worry about till after about 7-800rwhp.... F-body (if an M6), (I know this because I've owned/modded one) rear end $2900 (slicks will break a 10 bolt at stock rwhp), then driveshaft (~$600, by then you need to go thru the tranny and replace synchro and the bent aluminum shift fork (~$1100)... (GTO's use steel so they don't bend) So....If you want to have 550rwhp and want to run low E/T's on slicks, it's cheaper to do so in a GTO....A buddy of mine runs 11.80's on slicks in his goat and has only replaced the drive shaft and CV's.... Find an F-body that is an M6 (autos are easier on the diff) and runs slicks at the track....You'll also find that he/she has replaced the 10 bolt, and most likely has gone thru the tranny.....ANYWAYS.....I am also NOT biased...I have owned both F-body and GTO.... I have enjoyed them both... I used to laugh at the little bickering that went on here...now I know why it happens....You must defend your points.... UGH I need a drink...
Old 03-13-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

I believe its all in the eye of the beholder, people see things differently. I dont think the 4th gen is the last true american muscle car, its just that cars now days are a lot different then cars back in the 60's and 70's when the muscle car scene was huge. If a car is RWD has a V8 with a loud *** exhaust and can roast tires from here to mexico, i consider that to be a Muscle car. I even consider the new Corvettes to be muscle cars, they are just in a different class of muscle as they are fast as ****, but also sleek and well crafted in all aspects. Hell they have to be, to be considered Americas Supercar.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Crlo
the last gm "muscle car" was the 83-88 monte carlo ss because it was full framed, v8 powered, and carb'd
had an '86 ss w/bench seat ..put a holley projection kit, tci tranny lockup kit and accel distributor on that L69 ...pissed off quite a few c4s and 4th gen fbodys from a dig... ...sold it to buy a truck and dirt bike ..miss both of them...
Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
If a car is RWD has a V8 with a loud *** exhaust and can roast tires from here to mexico, i consider that to be a Muscle car.
lol... back in '84 was doing that in a 2.5 ton '77 LTD wagon ..once you had'em spinnin' as long as you didn't lift off the throttle you'd keep layin' it down...that 400 just wouldn't die ..my dad sold it
Old 03-13-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Crlo
the last gm "muscle car" was the 83-88 monte carlo ss because it was full framed, v8 powered, and carb'd

I would hardly call the 83-88 monte carlo a muscle car to be in that cat I would think it would need a large amount of power strait from the factory Im gonne give it to the grand national over the monte

Also the Hemi Cuda, Yenko Camaro, and Shelby GT500 are all unibody cars to my knowledge are we not going to call them muscle cars cause there not full frame cars?
Old 03-13-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Yenko Camaro in my eyes is the top of the muscle car, i pretty much nut my pants when i see one.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UGH I need a drink
I think you've had a few too many already.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Default last muscle car

would have to go to the 86-87 Grand national. No other Domestic car was quicker in the 80's. Buick vs mustang was very big up untill the mid 90's.
The Buicks went away because of politics . you just cant have a car quicker than the flagship corvette. 87 was the last year made but the monte carlo ss and the olds 442 were made in 1988 . Buick got dropped i wonder why?