General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need battery - advise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need battery - advise?

It's time.. battery is dead and will not hold a charge.
Car sits a lot - ~6,000 miles on my 02 TA.

I was thinking a 75/35 Red Top.
I have an Odyssey in my truck - great battery too.

Thoughts?
Old 03-15-2009, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

Always used Optima in my vehicles.... Camaro sits alot and never really had any problems. Never had any experience with Odyssey though...
Old 03-15-2009, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, Red Top, you got it. Never had a problem with mine over the last two years. Sits in storage for 6 months and only put 600 miles on it last year only driving on weekends and it never hesitated at all. Optima is the way to go.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Launching!

OK - Red Top it is. Thanks for the help!

75/35 is the correct size right?
Old 03-15-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an Optima in my truck and will put one in every vehicle I have when I need a new battery.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

Another one for OPTIMA....Great battery
Old 03-15-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an optima due to the fact they will not leak, mine does not work great when the vehicle sits, i've replaced a couple of them (on #3 in 4 years) I will most likely purchase an optima for my GTO when the time comes to get a battery. My 2 optimas that failed, would self drain themselves, without cables disconnected.

Ryan
Old 03-15-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002WS6_MN6
It's time.. battery is dead and will not hold a charge.
Car sits a lot - ~6,000 miles on my 02 TA.

I was thinking a 75/35 Red Top.
I have an Odyssey in my truck - great battery too.

Thoughts?
My battery went out this year also. I was considering an optima but I heard thats not a good battery to put in a vehicle that sits a lot? How true is that? Anyway, that statement & the fact that theyre an expensive battery made me buy a Delco instead. If I had a C5 I would have an optima though because a leaking battery on that car can cause some damage.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Optima is the only way to go, I have a yellow top in my cadillac cause I have a sound system in it. It can fully die and be fully charged over 300 hundred times, I can sit in my car for hours listening to music and the car starts right up, amazing. Have a red top in my camaro, the best!!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you get a red top you can easily stick in a 34 size. It is slightly larger and holds a little more jiuce. If it sits too much a yellow top deep cycle would be a better choice.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

Optimas are CRAP!!!! Ive got 2 of them in the corner of my shop that didnt last anymore than a year.

Odyssey is the only way to go!
Old 03-18-2009, 01:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
Optimas are CRAP!!!! Ive got 2 of them in the corner of my shop that didnt last anymore than a year.

Odyssey is the only way to go!
Dont know what your talking about cause I have 2 of them, the yellow top has been in my cadillac for 3 years now, with 3 1000 watt rms amps in the trunk! Best battery ever.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:23 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

I think 75/35 is the size for our cars. I have them in both of my cars. They don't like to sit long without a charge (like a month with mine), but either unplug them or slap a trickle charge on them and everything is fine.

~ Craig
Old 03-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by camarosam22
Dont know what your talking about cause I have 2 of them, the yellow top has been in my cadillac for 3 years now, with 3 1000 watt rms amps in the trunk! Best battery ever.
Simple, Im talking about crappy batteries, its not hard to figure out.

I had a good one that I bought back in 2000, it worked awesome for 2 years, then it was stolen (of course).

Bought a replacement, it started failing after 11 months, finally took it back and got an exchange for free. That one worked for just over a year and started failing but by that point I had broken a couple other things in the truck so I just parked it. Battery is still in there but its garbage like the one prior to it. All 3 of mine were red tops.

My girlfriend had a yellowtop in her sonoma, no big system or anything, just bagged and body dropped. Bought it in April, was fine all show season, sat disconnected all winter, put back in the following spring, was still good, then one day in July it just wouldnt crank the engine.... completely random, nothing was left on, no draw, alternator and starter were fine, the battery just decided to **** the bed for no reason.

I know of other peoples Optima horror stories as well, but Im not going to tell them third person and im sure its not going to change anyones pro-optima opinions anyway.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

I have used Interstate, Odyssey, DieHard, Delco, and Optima. I do not think any one battery is better than the other. The key is to put a maintainer on them when they are going to sit for any length of time. I have 2 Blue Top Optima's in Baja. They have been in there for 6 years. Never had a problem. I take them out every winter and put a maintainer on them. My '68 Camaro has a Die Hard. Had it for 4 years. No problems all summer long. I also put a maintainer on it during the winter. Stock Delco battery in my 2000 GMC 4X4. It has been in there almost 10 years. If the truck sits for more than a month, I put a maintainer on it. There are a few instances when you get a lemon, but I believe it all depends on how you maintain them. Just because it says "maintenance free" doesn't mean you can ignore them.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i used a red top in my explorer only because i had subs, and it was good for that. but the battery only lasted like 2 years, so i wasnt too happy about that.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

i have only had one red top, and so far after a year it has performed flawlessly.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
Simple, Im talking about crappy batteries, its not hard to figure out.

I had a good one that I bought back in 2000, it worked awesome for 2 years, then it was stolen (of course).

Bought a replacement, it started failing after 11 months, finally took it back and got an exchange for free. That one worked for just over a year and started failing but by that point I had broken a couple other things in the truck so I just parked it. Battery is still in there but its garbage like the one prior to it. All 3 of mine were red tops.

My girlfriend had a yellowtop in her sonoma, no big system or anything, just bagged and body dropped. Bought it in April, was fine all show season, sat disconnected all winter, put back in the following spring, was still good, then one day in July it just wouldnt crank the engine.... completely random, nothing was left on, no draw, alternator and starter were fine, the battery just decided to **** the bed for no reason.

I know of other peoples Optima horror stories as well, but Im not going to tell them third person and im sure its not going to change anyones pro-optima opinions anyway.
I understand, everyone has their own experience with stuff, its just everyone I know has one, ranging from 3-5 years old and work perfectly. Me and my friend did a test against the yellow top vs your typical battery. My cadillac is a v8 and my friend m3 is a straight 6, so obviously less cranking strength, we were able to crank his m3 for 10 seconds about 10 times giving a break in between till his battery died, my cadillac was on number 25 times and still cranking. We connected the fuel lines and my car started right up, his car was purely dead and needed a new battery. Thats why I stand behind the optima battery.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

most people swear by optimas, and use em for years. mine looks like it hadnt been moved for a while, and so far one year since buying the car and its works like new.