General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Torque converter+cooler or headers+ory?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Syn
Thanks for the info so far everyone. For someone paying labor costs (I don't trust myself enough to try anything like this on my own) what is the typical total price for a torque converter?

I can see that I would need the following for a truly effective TC setup:

- TC (I'm thinking a Yank 3600...don't want to cheap out on this)
- Trans cooler
- Installation costs for the above
- Stickier tires
- Dyno tune
- Backup fund for a new transmission just in case

Whew. That adds up quick! Also what is the effect of a TC on the 10-bolt? Am I fast-tracking msyelf to a broken rear end or will the 4L60 puke first? How much would it cost to beef up the transmission enough to handle say a 3600 stall with bolt-ons? Is this even doable on the 4L60? How about after adding a 224 cam? Am I better off budgeting for a different transmission altogether?

At this point I'm leaning towards the LTs and ORY first just because of cost. And sound, I'll admit

yeah man, it does add up. a good converter like yank will run atleast 7-800. a tranny cooler id say around 100-150 bucks maybe? install your looking right around for most places 2-300 bucks. so alone your already over $1,000. i would say the tranny would puke before the rear end would for an A4. a good solid built tranny is atleast $2200 bucks. check with the sponsors they might have some specials going on. thats why im suggesting you wait till u get your tranny built with the converter. makes no sense to buy all these parts now, then throw a cam, and then have your tranny crap out and try to come up with $2200 bucks.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Former Vendor - No longer Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Badguy7
You need to tune the car after you get the Converter, so its better you just get the longtubes & ory then go after the converter and then tune the car all at once.
What he said.