General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

what is the stock horse power of a 2002 firebird ls1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i totally agree that answering the same "what is the best cam" or "gains from lid" gets really old.... but its my humble oppinion that an answer like "please try the search function" the "hijacked" smilie could have replaced almost every post in this thread without taking an ounce away from it...

anyway cheers!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:50 AM
On The Tree

Just for the record, I don't drink.

Have a nice day Ken.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6addiction
Just for the record, I don't drink.

Have a nice day Ken.
I think we should have personal chats as PM's

You have a nice day as well.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS6addiction
Are you serious? Surely you jest. I was gonna leave this alone because I thought you were either trying to be a smartass, or baiting me, but I can't resist now. So let's break this down.

We're talkin fwhp here, right?

So, we picked up 15 fwhp by upgrading the catback. Since the SS and WS6 intake dynoed the same, we got nothing from the taller airbox because the SS uses the same airbox as the Z28/Formula/TA. That's a pretty good gain from a factory catback that has to adhere to federal sound emission standards.

(On a side note, I build exhaust systems for industrial diesel power generators for a living. )

OK, I'm not a Camaro guy, so I'm not really up on the SLP SS options and subject to error here. IIRC you got a different catback and a Blackwing lid and filter. So now we're up 35 fwhp over the base LS1 f-bodys, and 20 fwhp over the SS/WS6 with a lid, filter and catback.

(Holy smokin tires Batman! No wonder SLP parts cost so much.)

Ok, what's so much different about the vette intake and exhaust? Different airbox, MAF (?), throttle body, shorty headers and exhaust which still conforms to federal sound emission standards. I'm not sure about the tune. I was under the impression that they got the same factory tune, but I'll give it to ya anyway.
So you're saying that all those fancy gizmos on the vette gained 40 fwhp over the base f-fodies, 25 fwhp over the SS/WS6, but only 5 fwhp over the SLP SS, right? Are you by chance a marketing exec for SLP?

So, I guess what you're trying to say is that the f-bodies were all rated using rwhp, and the vette was rated using fwhp, is that right?

And how does that answer the OPs original question? What is the horsepower of a stock 2002 LS1?

The only "dramatic" changes that affected horsepower were the LS6 intake manifold and the cam from the 6.0 Vortech in '01, which netted 5 peak fwhp and a flatter torque curve. All other changes would have been negligable at best.

Fact is a GM engine builder posted a long time ago on this same board, on this same subject, that every LS1 dynoed at ~345-350 fwhp. I'd dig it up for you, but I just finished a 63 hr work week and I'm feeling a little bushed right now.

I spent 17 yrs working at Kawasaki Motors Mfg. Corp. Have you heard of them? The R&D dept was right next to me for a while, so I actually do know a thing or three about manufactuing test facilities. Those R&D guys are some sneeky bastards.

Personally, I'm kinda disturbed by the number of "professional techs" who don't know their exhaust port from their wrist pin. That's why no "professional" touches my vehicles until I've talked to them enough to determine that they know what the hell they're talking about.

It's called research. It means read and learn, in that order.
I'm just gonna throw this out there, since you said it numerous times during this post. LS1 cars power is measured in RWHP, not FWHP.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:48 AM

do anybody know how many 2000 firebird formula A4 were made? or at least where i can look to find out??
Old 03-31-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2000Formula
do anybody know how many 2000 firebird formula A4 were made? or at least where i can look to find out??
Someone else may know more, but you can look through this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...rs-thread.html

or this site:

http://www.marshu.com/ws6-car-gm-fir...-2000-2001.php
Old 03-31-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomR/T
I'm just gonna throw this out there, since you said it numerous times during this post. LS1 cars power is measured in RWHP, not FWHP.
False.
No car manufacture rates their vehicles at the wheels, only the flywheel.
For the last time the Fbodies were UNDERRATED AT THE FLYWHEEL.

Quick Reply: what is the stock horse power of a 2002 firebird ls1?