General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

GTO or Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009 | 08:24 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AR15 guy
You'll need to spend over a grand on the GTO just to get the suspension correct. In stock form they trash tires every 10-15k. Plus they have IRS. Not the best if you want to drag race.
As opposed to the 10-12k he'll get out of DRs after he's basically required to DD on them from modding up the Fcar?

I own both. (Cammed TA, and stock 05 GTO)

They're very very different cars, different looks, different feels. While the TA is a true muscle car to me, the GTO is basically a luxury coupe with a musclecar nameplate and a LS2 V8.

For a DD? The GTO wins hands down to me. I have no plans at this time to do any mods to mine, as it's just so nice stock that I don't see the point.

For a car you race often, and want to get the most out of for cheap? The F body.

But, ask yourself this. How much modding are you comfortable doing when this is likely to be your DD, and only car? It's generally not the smartest idea in the world to rely on the car that you're modding and beating on. Modding and repairs do call for downtime as well, so take that into consideration. The more you mod, the faster you go, the more **** you break while doing so.
Old 04-04-2009 | 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by melchoir
As opposed to the 10-12k he'll get out of DRs after he's basically required to DD on them from modding up the Fcar?

I own both. (Cammed TA, and stock 05 GTO)

They're very very different cars, different looks, different feels. While the TA is a true muscle car to me, the GTO is basically a luxury coupe with a musclecar nameplate and a LS2 V8.

For a DD? The GTO wins hands down to me. I have no plans at this time to do any mods to mine, as it's just so nice stock that I don't see the point.

For a car you race often, and want to get the most out of for cheap? The F body.

But, ask yourself this. How much modding are you comfortable doing when this is likely to be your DD, and only car? It's generally not the smartest idea in the world to rely on the car that you're modding and beating on. Modding and repairs do call for downtime as well, so take that into consideration. The more you mod, the faster you go, the more **** you break while doing so.

well said. I love my GTO for a daily driver, and my WS6 is the play car, if it is taken apart for mods, no big deal, just put it together when I have time. A second car is a great modification for either of the above options.

Ryan

Quick Reply: GTO or Camaro SS