General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Just bought '00 formy back from ins for $650! suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009 | 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Exclamation Just bought '00 formy back from ins for $650! suggestions

there is nothing wrong with the car internally, the drivers door is mashed in and the frame is bent, the rear hatch wont close and the pass. door wont close, hood wont close. so the frame is pretty tweaked i think. i got a call this mornin saying it would be 650 bucks to buy it back! i was VERY happy, wasnt my fault that is was busted up, well..kinda was, i was driving it in feb..in alaska lol, with no studs and got cut off! but i have been trying to figure out what to do with it...

Should I try to part it out and get what i can?

i have a friend who said he will buy the car whole for 1,200 bucks.

should I do a swap on a roller '98-'02 v6? or even a roller v8 of those years?

should i try to do a swap on a LT1?

please help me decide guys!!! p.s. i am trying to save money for house so parting it out is an option, but i think i could get alot more than 1,200 bucks for it!!

2000 firebird formula
White/auto/47,xxx miles
Old 04-08-2009 | 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

The drive train alone is at least $2500. Either part the car out or just swap it into another f-body.
Old 04-08-2009 | 07:59 PM
10 Second Club

Well it sounds like you already signed the check or the insurance company paid you for the car? If you performance parts ons the car and you were not a fault. The other party insurance party by law must pay you for what is invested in teh car. If reciepts are present. If you can double your money go for it.
Old 04-08-2009 | 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

drivetrain is worth at least $2500 then interior and body parts.. so yeah he is trying to screw you.
Old 04-08-2009 | 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

cop put me at fault for going out of control, just me and other car. wrote me up for basic speed cause my car is louder than some 4 banger civic and car unsuitable for road conditions cause i had street tires on....pissed me off, i am fighting it and my court date in is mid may

bought car in october for 11,000 bucks
owed 8,700 at time of accident
insurance valued the car at 11,300 bucks
left me with 3,600 bucks minus 1,000 for deductable
so i walked away with 2,600 bucks, car paid off and a crashed f-body with good drivetrain

you think my friend knows that he is trying to screw me?? he has been a mechanic for a few years now, he is 20, i am 18. i really am at a loss for what to do with the car, the only for sure option i have right now is to sell it to him for 1,200 bucks or save a lil cash till i can do the swap into a roller...
Old 04-08-2009 | 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RsSean
Well it sounds like you already signed the check or the insurance company paid you for the car? If you performance parts ons the car and you were not a fault. The other party insurance party by law must pay you for what is invested in teh car. If reciepts are present. If you can double your money go for it.
car was bone stock
already signed the check to buy it back.
Old 04-08-2009 | 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Put the drive train in a miata and part the rest out
Old 04-08-2009 | 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

Dude part that crap out!!!!
You can get way more than what your "friend" is offering you...
Some friend.
-Matt
Old 04-08-2009 | 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

ok, so i am pretty much decided that i will part it out, unless i find a roller lt1 or ls1 in alaska by fall time. but i really dont know how much to sell everything for, can someone post up a basic price list or refer me to a good website that will have more of a market value on parts to a ls1 car?? i thought i could get 3,000 for the engine, tranny, ecu, wire harness, k-member, wheels and tires, stereo, everything, is this unreasonable thinking?
Old 04-08-2009 | 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by soxin2008
ok, so i am pretty much decided that i will part it out, unless i find a roller lt1 or ls1 in alaska by fall time. but i really dont know how much to sell everything for, can someone post up a basic price list or refer me to a good website that will have more of a market value on parts to a ls1 car?? i thought i could get 3,000 for the engine, tranny, ecu, wire harness, k-member, wheels and tires, stereo, everything, is this unreasonable thinking?
ya that sounds pretty reasonable, search for threads in the for sale section of cars being parted out. just keep looking through them and you will start to get a feeling of what what everything goes for. betweet the drivetrain, body panels that are undamged, interior, stereo, and wheels you should easily be able to get between 3-4k. then sell the rest to a scrap yard or somthing.

i would find a roller and do the swap if it was me though...
Old 04-08-2009 | 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

how much do you guys think it will cost to swap the ls1 formy into a '98-'02 firebird or camaro v6?? PLEASE respond, i would love to do this if i found the right car
Old 04-08-2009 | 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

how much do you guys think it will cost to swap the ls1 formy into a '98-'02 firebird or camaro v6?? PLEASE respond, i would love to do this if i found the right car
what do you mean cost? do it yourself you will have all of the parts you need between the two cars try to just find a roller if you can it will be much cheaper for you, if not find a cheap v6.
Old 04-09-2009 | 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ony problem with parting out the car is that you live in Alaska and most people are going to be put off by the cost of shipping. That is going to make it hard to part it out. I've parted out three cars and nearly everyone wants something for nothing. F bodies being rare in those4 parts for obvious reasons nearly everything will be shipped to the lower 48. Ask anyone who has parted out a car, it a lot of hassle and work. You will also need a garage you can tie up for about a month at least and a way to get rid of the stripped hulk when your done.

If you want to make a few more bucks, get your friend to give you $2000 for it. Yes, he will make money off it, and he is not trying to screw you by doing so. It's probably the only reason he is offering to buy it.

I saw your other thread, buying a v6 car and swapping over all the parts would be an excellant idea. If you still want a F body, I'd say it's a better idea than parting the car out. When your done you can still part out all the left over parts.

Re'
Old 04-09-2009 | 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
Ony problem with parting out the car is that you live in Alaska and most people are going to be put off by the cost of shipping. That is going to make it hard to part it out. I've parted out three cars and nearly everyone wants something for nothing. F bodies being rare in those4 parts for obvious reasons nearly everything will be shipped to the lower 48. Ask anyone who has parted out a car, it a lot of hassle and work. You will also need a garage you can tie up for about a month at least and a way to get rid of the stripped hulk when your done.

If you want to make a few more bucks, get your friend to give you $2000 for it. Yes, he will make money off it, and he is not trying to screw you by doing so. It's probably the only reason he is offering to buy it.

I saw your other thread, buying a v6 car and swapping over all the parts would be an excellant idea. If you still want a F body, I'd say it's a better idea than parting the car out. When your done you can still part out all the left over parts.

Re'
welcome to my dilemma....lol...

buy v6 4th gen '98 and up and swap
or
sell car for 2 grand when i bought it back for 650 bucks...

knowing im in alaska and all..

what would you do?

i do want another f-body in the future, maybe the best idea is to wait until i do find a roller ls1 in alaska? or even a roller v6? i think that may be the best idea.
Old 04-09-2009 | 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

or

what would you do?

i do want another f-body in the future, maybe the best idea is to wait until i do find a roller ls1 in alaska? or even a roller v6? i think that may be the best idea.
ya i didnt think about the shipping thing, your best bet is to do the swap into any fbody. positive of finding a v6 or v6 roller is you can insure it as a v6 but being from up there i would just look for any cheap 98-02 fbody in good shape.
Old 04-10-2009 | 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

or

what would you do?

You could always play the waiting game and see how you feel in another month or two. It's not like the car is going to take a depreciation hit
Old 04-10-2009 | 12:46 PM
Launching!

Well my suggestion would be to find a clean 98-02 (V8) roller
& swap in the engine & transmission. But being from Alaska
that might be kind of hard to do.
Old 04-10-2009 | 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Just cause the dude is your friend doesn't mean he doesn't want to get the car for as cheap as possible. Most people would try to get hooked up by their friend. But if you want to get the most out of it, part it out.
Old 04-10-2009 | 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

thank you guys for your opinions, i have decided to keepthe car until i find a
'98-'02 roller or i get 2,700 for the whole thing.
Old 04-21-2009 | 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

How do you buy cars back from insurance? Ive seen so many freaking people do this and ive never figured out how you do it! Do you just let them take the car and then call them up and say you want to buy it back?

As for what you should so. Put it on a truck and ill pm you my address