General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

When to brake when fishtailing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom565
I sold my V6 Firebird in February and I just bought a WS6 last week. So I learned real fast in the V6 to not hit the brakes when you start fishtailing because it will send you into a serious spin. At speeds lower than 20 or so I can get it under control with no problems at all by letting off the gas and steering it a little bit. With the new T/A I would like some input on how to get the car under control if the rear starts to slide at higher speeds. I know practice has a huge part in it but does anyone have any tips on when to brake to slow the car down?
Why don't you just fix the problem in the first place and replace the shitty stock shocks with some quality performance shocks? The horrible valving on the stock decarbons makes these cars really squirly and hard to control. With something like koni SA's you don't have to worry about crazy fishtailing and you will have a huge increase in handling and control of the car (along with a much better ride, no more choppy/jarring-ness over bumps).
Old 04-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was watching a couple videos of T/A’s loosing control at the drag strip and a few of them were braking mid way through the fishtail when it went all the way to one side.
I got into a violent fishtail at 120 mph and drove away without stopping.

The reason you might see brakes when someone is in one is because unless you're duct taped to the seat, you yourself sitting in the car, you're going to find out how difficult it is to stay planted in the seat.

I can see a foot mashing the brake or gas trying to stay upright when getting thrown side to side inside the car.

And I had my seatbelt on too.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, being in PA you should have some experience with sliding around in the snow. It's a lot like that. Higher speeds require a delicate touch on gas, brakes, and steering. It's best not to put yourself in that situation but sometimes it happens. Practice in a safe way.

"Doc, it hurts when I do that." Doc, "So don't do that."
Old 04-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Teching In

VetteDOOD:
You and 350f are butt buddies right? You are both from St. Louis and when ever 350f makes a bashing post you just chime right in and say something related to his post because you can’t come up with anything for your self. Almost all of your posts have no helpful comments and they are all threads that 350f has replied too already. You really need to get a life man.

Aw shucks. I should be more sensitive to peoplez feelings on the interwebz. If I wasn't so bitter I can make e-friends to be e-popular like yourself. It's reassuring to know someone's looking after me and every post I make.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VetteDood

Aw shucks. I should be more sensitive to peoplez feelings on the interwebz. If I wasn't so bitter I can make e-friends to be e-popular like yourself. It's reassuring to know someone's looking after me and every post I make.
Geeee, really? Are you saying that people shouldn't worry about hurting others feelings or being rude on the net? It seems to me in the thread I just read "6sp with no traction control" you had an issue with what "Hector" said to you. He wasn't even being half as rude as you normally are. Stop being a jerk dude, you may be a keyboard warrior but most of us won't be impressed with that.

Originally Posted by Hector
"The first statement is like saying "The thermostat gives the room heat", and is simply untrue. The second statement is true but trivial. I didn't mean to be rude. I wanted to know what you were thinking but I couldn't figure it out".

VetteDood
"That was rude but I accept your appology".

Awwww shucks, someones feelings get hurt? It's not that people follow your posts man, it's just that a lot of us read a LOT on here so when you contradict yourself from thread to thread (in the same couple day period) we notice.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
OP, being in PA you should have some experience with sliding around in the snow. It's a lot like that. Higher speeds require a delicate touch on gas, brakes, and steering. It's best not to put yourself in that situation but sometimes it happens. Practice in a safe way.

"Doc, it hurts when I do that." Doc, "So don't do that."

Lol. I like that.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Geeee, really? Are you saying that people shouldn't worry about hurting others feelings or being rude on the net? It seems to me in the thread I just read "6sp with no traction control" you had an issue with what "Hector" said to you. He wasn't even being half as rude as you normally are. Stop being a jerk dude, you may be a keyboard warrior but most of us won't be impressed with that.

Originally Posted by Hector
"The first statement is like saying "The thermostat gives the room heat", and is simply untrue. The second statement is true but trivial. I didn't mean to be rude. I wanted to know what you were thinking but I couldn't figure it out".

VetteDood
"That was rude but I accept your appology".

Awwww shucks, someones feelings get hurt? It's not that people follow your posts man, it's just that a lot of us read a LOT on here so when you contradict yourself from thread to thread (in the same couple day period) we notice.
Gawd damn this is some funny ****. All of you are so easy to make upset which makes posting BS and sarcastic responses so much more fun.

Hector made me lol when he thought I was being serious.

What a stupid thread to begin with, "Do I need to brake when fishtailing?" Why don't you go practice and find out for yourself? Do you realize how circumstantial that maybe? Fishtailing at what speeds, temperature, road conditions, direction and angle, this list goes on and on. There's no simple or easy answer. Go to a parking lot and do it instead of exuding your level of retardation by asking stupid questions which you're going to get stupid responses to.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive always been told 2 things:

1. get off the gas
2. steer, yet DO NOT overcorrect
Old 04-16-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gawd damn this is some funny ****. All of you are so easy to make upset which makes posting BS and sarcastic responses so much more fun.
with an attitude like that, you are probably gonna get hit with a ban stick once or twice...
Old 04-16-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what are you guys drinking?

if you're getting into a fishtail, sometimes its too late to correct it and you just gotta do your best to save yourself and the car.

once you start to feel the tires spin, you need to back off the throttle just a bit. if the back end is starting to kick out (lets say its kicking out to the left) and you're starting to fishtail, turn the wheel to the left (DO NOT OVER CORRECT) and CAREFULLY back off the throttle. in a second, the tires should regain traction and the car will start following where those wheels are pointed (SO DO NOT OVER CORRECT).

when the car fishtails and you suddenly let off the gas, it transfers weight to the front of the car and away from the rear - this could make the rear kick out even more. likewise, if you apply the brakes you'll initiate the same weight transfer. if you're going 15 mph while this happens (burnout at the school parking lot), it won't make that much of a difference, but you could still hit something.
at higher speeds, you gotta really be careful about that weight transfer and be sure to DO NOT OVER CORRECT or you'll whip the back end around to the other side into another fishtail (which could be the fishtail of doom)

do not panic - do not over correct
Old 04-16-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

throttle control and corrective steering. I think it's good to practice, you never know when you get into one of those situations.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Let off the throttle and steer it straight
Old 04-16-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hector made me lol when he thought I was being serious.

What a stupid thread to begin with, "Do I need to brake when fishtailing?" Why don't you go practice and find out for yourself? Do you realize how circumstantial that maybe? Fishtailing at what speeds, temperature, road conditions, direction and angle, this list goes on and on. There's no simple or easy answer. Go to a parking lot and do it instead of exuding your level of retardation by asking stupid questions which you're going to get stupid responses to.
So why didn't you just say "go to a parking lot and try it out"? Rather than all the mumbo jumbo and **** talk? But yeah I think you are right, a parking lot (large one) works wonders.

ps. just because we put you in your place doesn't mean we are mad.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

Practice is the only way you're going to learn but bring a video camera.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:49 AM
On The Tree

Do not brake or else the *** is going to over take the front. Done it and got a panel repair bill to prove it.

Just steer into it and realise you aren't driving a Skyline with near on perfect pivotal balance lol
Old 04-18-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Best thing to do is practice. I learned it's all in throttle control and it's a bit harder in automatic imo. You gotta get the rpms up and can lose control easy if you hit the throttle too hard.

Don't steer or overcorrect too much, just try and keep the wheels facing forward. No matter how much you fishtail if the wheels are kept straight you will be fine... practice practice
Old 04-18-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just play with the gas... DO NOT panic, do no let completely off the gas, do not brake... (were talking a stock-stockish cars guys not promods fish tailing at 130mph..)

think about it... your pointing at the ditch, let off the gas completely, tires hook................. imagination station now..

just stay in it... go to about 1/2-3/4 throttle, steer out of it and when you hook go wide open throttle..

if you fish at 60mph or so (more built cars)... just stay in the SOB... by this time you should know how to stay out of trouble and fix it..
Old 04-18-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
just play with the gas... DO NOT panic, do no let completely off the gas, do not brake... (were talking a stock-stockish cars guys not promods fish tailing at 130mph..)

think about it... your pointing at the ditch, let off the gas completely, tires hook................. imagination station now..

just stay in it... go to about 1/2-3/4 throttle, steer out of it and when you hook go wide open throttle..

if you fish at 60mph or so (more built cars)... just stay in the SOB... by this time you should know how to stay out of trouble and fix it..

That sounds like good sense to me.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oddwraith
That sounds like good sense to me.
i try to think every now and then..

sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt..
Old 04-18-2009, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
what are you guys drinking?
+1

Quick Reply: When to brake when fishtailing?