General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

When to brake when fishtailing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default When to brake when fishtailing?

I sold my V6 Firebird in February and I just bought a WS6 last week. So I learned real fast in the V6 to not hit the brakes when you start fishtailing because it will send you into a serious spin. At speeds lower than 20 or so I can get it under control with no problems at all by letting off the gas and steering it a little bit. With the new T/A I would like some input on how to get the car under control if the rear starts to slide at higher speeds. I know practice has a huge part in it but does anyone have any tips on when to brake to slow the car down?
Old 04-15-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

DONT BRAKE!!!!

when fishtailing, set your wheels in the direction you WANT your car car to go, which is usually straight ahead on the road your following. under all circumstances, dont brake; it puts unneeded monmenutm that you dont want on your car further sending you into spin. its all about steering and throttle control; set your wheels in the direction you want to go and cut down on your thorottle to limit wheel spin. only brake when your car in under control
Old 04-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just keep the pedal to the floor and keep going, don't be a *****.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Just keep the pedal to the floor and keep going, don't be a *****
Terrible advice

If you are braking during fishtailing you should not be fishtailing in the first place. Control is done with the steering wheel and the gas pedal. Steer into the corner slightly more than it would take to normally make the corner and use only enough gas to break the tires loose-More and you're going to do a 360-Less and you will just look like a jackass. Ease into the gas while controlling the tail by turning into the tail-kick and slowly let off the gas as you correct back into a straight line. The trick is fishtailing while keeping your car in your lane so you don't scare the crap out of people. You will get plenty of practice to do this when Winter hits
Old 04-15-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 350f
just keep the pedal to the floor and keep going, don't be a *****.
+1...
Old 04-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ItsNotStock
Terrible advice
He's going to wreck it anyways whats it matter.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:57 PM
S2K
On The Tree

Location: Bristol, TN/Knoxville, TN/Mooresville, NC/Phoenix, AZ

Originally Posted by ItsNotStock
Terrible advice

If you are braking during fishtailing you should not be fishtailing in the first place. Control is done with the steering wheel and the gas pedal. Steer into the corner slightly more than it would take to normally make the corner and use only enough gas to break the tires loose-More and you're going to do a 360-Less and you will just look like a jackass. Ease into the gas while controlling the tail by turning into the tail-kick and slowly let off the gas as you correct back into a straight line. The trick is fishtailing while keeping your car in your lane so you don't scare the crap out of people. You will get plenty of practice to do this when Winter hits
Why are you telling him how to initiate a slide? lol to practice?

To the op, most of the time the best thing to do is just let off the throttle and steer the car. Not to scare you, but you can't be in control or save the car everytime, wrecks and spinouts happen. If you aren't confident in your driving, don't do things that would put you in one of those situations. Go take some drifting lessons or go in an empty parking lot and try sliding the car and correcting it.

Last edited by S2K; 04-15-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Old 04-15-2009, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the advice so far to the guys who seriously answered my question. The only reason I was asking about braking is because I was watching a couple videos of T/A’s loosing control at the drag strip and a few of them were braking mid way through the fishtail when it went all the way to one side.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:15 PM
S2K
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tom565
Thanks for the advice so far to the guys who seriously answered my question. The only reason I was asking about braking is because I was watching a couple videos of T/A’s loosing control at the drag strip and a few of them were braking mid way through the fishtail when it went all the way to one side.
Yea, if you're on the strip, just get off the throttle and try to steer it back straight. Don't try and get back on the throttle too early just to "prove" something or run a good time. Just save it and try for a cleaner run next time. Not worth losing a car over in my opinion.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by S2K
To the op, most of the time the best thing to do is just let off the throttle and steer the car.
Yup, thats what I do. Let off the throttle completely and steer and it will come right back into place.. most of the time lol winter.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Only if he follows your advice.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Ok...here's how to control fish tailing. Apply the brake 20% for a second then tap the brake violently six times. Once you've done that roll down both windows simultaneously to allow the air to act as a parachute.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why would you hit the brakes? Point the front wheels where you want to go and let off teh throttle, and while you are at it get some decent tires so you wont be fishtailing at high speeds.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VetteDood
Ok...here's how to control fish tailing. Apply the brake 20% for a second then tap the brake violently six times. Once you've done that roll down both windows simultaneously to allow the air to act as a parachute.
Your such a jerk, I bet you sit in Daddy's GTO and Corvette, only when he's not home of course bc he won't let you touch them, and pretend to race the cars as they sit in the garage. You probably even make engine sounds and still miss gears sitting still...please stop failing at life and quit posting here
Old 04-15-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are some real winners on here man. Keyboard warriors that like to use sarcasm (poorly executed sarcastic remarks on top of that) to belittle people. Some people actually ask questions to get real answers, not to get snag remarks.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1999Z28
Your such a jerk, I bet you sit in Daddy's GTO and Corvette, only when he's not home of course bc he won't let you touch them, and pretend to race the cars as they sit in the garage. You probably even make engine sounds and still miss gears sitting still...please stop failing at life and quit posting here
At least my Daddy's house doesn't look like yours:
Old 04-15-2009, 11:45 PM
S2K
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VetteDood
Hey, why don't you go make a video to put on youtube for us that don't understand. Make sure to do it drunk infront of a police station, and oh yea unbuckle your seatbelt so it doesn't kill your buzz.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

VetteDOOD:
You and 350f are butt buddies right? You are both from St. Louis and when ever 350f makes a bashing post you just chime right in and say something related to his post because you can’t come up with anything for your self. Almost all of your posts have no helpful comments and they are all threads that 350f has replied too already. You really need to get a life man.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

That house **** is hillarious! on a side note:Wow...quit pickin' on the guy he's just trying to keep his ride in one piece and stay safe on the road....some of you are ******* *****...grow up. Don't you want to keep another LS1/Fbody enthusiast safe?? apparently some of you Asshats would rather see another Wrecked Fbody and fellow member possibly injured...As to the Fishtailing situation...Let off the throttle and point her where you want to go, when it regains traction then and only then brake, you don't want to add linear momentum by braking to an already fucked up situation IMO.

Last edited by RiceEaterZ; 04-16-2009 at 06:02 AM.

Quick Reply: When to brake when fishtailing?