General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

is it a real SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

It matters to those who own one IMO.

Do you think the Ferrari guys like kit car Ferrari Fieros running around beside them? I doubt it - and yes I realize that is far more extreme.

Really, the WU8 is more than hood/wheels/spoiler. It included a Power Steering cooler, different shocks, springs, swaybars and different exhaust. After 2000, every car came with a Hurst shifter as well. The power was only rated at 5 more horsepower, but it was more, lol!

I don't like it when people try to pass a Z off as an SS. If you want one, do your research and buy one. If not you could end up with a clone. And maybe the uneducated don't care, but I can tell you that when you educate them that the SS they think they bought is a Z28 with jobber SS parts, they will probably start to care - and not be very happy about it.

Not collector cars?? Collectible items are in the eye of the beholder - perhaps the 02 Zs will be worth more than the SS??? Who truly knows?
Old 04-21-2009, 01:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, TOTALLY agree with you there, 2002! I'm just sayin', if it IS fake, don't let it kill your love for your car, and to hell with what people say.

...that's all. Don't let it get ya' down.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002CAMAROSSLS1T56
Thats incorrect. I have the Y2Y code and it has no additional SLP content. I called SLP. They told me things I didn't even expect to hear, like when it got there, what they did to it, when it left.
They did nothing except put the minimum SS parts on it and sent it out.

I also have a 2002 Z28, the RPO code list on the two cars is damn near identical except for the WU8 and Y2Y
My SS has no red and white stickers and I got the car a long time ago with very low miles.

damn really? ive heard that from numerous people. hmm i stand corrected.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by s1ck s0n
damn really? ive heard that from numerous people. hmm i stand corrected.
Yea, imagine my surprise. I found Y2Y and thought WTF theres nothing extra on this. I never thought about it but I should have asked SLP about that RPO code.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by yyz28
No, TOTALLY agree with you there, 2002! I'm just sayin', if it IS fake, don't let it kill your love for your car, and to hell with what people say.

...that's all. Don't let it get ya' down.
LOL, yea, as I search for SS parts for my Z28
I already have the spoiler, just bought a hood yesterday, a grille a few days before that, and I just PM'ed a guy on the wheels.
All this and I'm not even sure I want to make it an SS clone.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
I don't like it when people try to pass a Z off as an SS. If you want one, do your research and buy one. If not you could end up with a clone. And maybe the uneducated don't care, but I can tell you that when you educate them that the SS they think they bought is a Z28 with jobber SS parts, they will probably start to care - and not be very happy about it.
If you don't like that, you'll really hate this. This car is actually a 94 Z28 I built over 5 years. Except for the wrong ABS and under hood fuse box, it's nearly impossible to tell it apart. I even made my own SLP option sticker for th epassenger side door and RPO code sticker. Too much you say. NO. I never passed it off as a SS. It was too fun watching peoples expression when I told them what it was in a previous life.

Yes it had an LS1 too

And the correct interior.

If you can beleive it, this is what I started with.

It's great if it's a real SS. but most of us with real SS cars have removed many of the SLP SS parts to personalize our cars anyway. The important thing is that you enjoy your car and DRIVE it as much as you can. I hat eit when someone thinks their car is so special or so valuable that they don't want to drive it. A friend of my fathers has an original AC 427 Cobra with a little over 5k on it. He shows it to everyone and if your lucky you might hear it run. But he's only put about 5 miles on it in the 10 or so years I've known him. I'm guessing must of that was to and from the trailer.

Re'
Old 04-22-2009, 02:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
Except for the wrong ABS and under hood fuse box, it's nearly impossible to tell it apart.
Wrong A/C accumulator, and the engine compartment is way too shiney, underside of hood too.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

If you own an SS, then it matters. Period.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Anything can be an SS, but only a Camaro can be a Z28
Old 04-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blackhawk0251
Anything can be an SS, but only a Camaro can be a Z28
Thats bullshit because a CAMARO SS IS a Z28 with options. Any other SS is a piece of **** with stickers.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Wow, that's a LOT of work to make that 94 into your red "SS". I find it hard to believe that is financially feasible - wouldn't it be cheaper to find a 4th gen LS1 SS?

Not to take away from the hours of time and labour to finish your project though. Nice work - I respect anyone who turns their own wrenches (which I am hoping you did ).

And I agree, it matters to those who own an SS.

Bottom line, they are both Camaros and I like them both. Had I bought a Z28, I would not try to pass it off as an SS with appearance modds. It just doesn't seem right. I would keep it a Z28, and even install 69 badges so everyone would know it!
Old 04-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Teching In

thanks guys and i talked to somone and they showed me its a ture ss and i doesnt matter but i was told it was a true SS and that swhy i bought it i like they way it looks and everything but i wanted an SS its just personal prefernce and i live in Reading PA so im not to far from mount pleasent pm me if you ever wuna cruise or email me jwlod@verizon.net
Old 04-22-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats bullshit because a CAMARO SS IS a Z28 with options. Any other SS is a piece of **** with stickers.
Really? Because I recall getting the dog **** beat out of me by a Cobalt SS when I had my Firehawk. Which is basically an SS if you put it into perspective. I wasnt trying to imply that any car could just be called an SS. I dont think it would be cool to slap on SS badges on a Mustang. And if I remember correctly, the Z28's were the bad asses back in the day, and will be again if Chevy decides to release it. I am an SS owner myself now so dont quote me on anything. And yes I drive a real SS.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blackhawk0251
Really? Because I recall getting the dog **** beat out of me by a Cobalt SS when I had my Firehawk. Which is basically an SS if you put it into perspective. I wasnt trying to imply that any car could just be called an SS. I dont think it would be cool to slap on SS badges on a Mustang. And if I remember correctly, the Z28's were the bad asses back in the day, and will be again if Chevy decides to release it. I am an SS owner myself now so dont quote me on anything. And yes I drive a real SS.
I got the dog **** beat outta me by a Geo Prizm, A GEO PRIZM! when I had my SS and Z28.
I was pissed to be driving my sisters caravan at the time, but none the less I got beat by a prizm!
Jesus christ people what the **** does it matter. Back in 1967 the Z28 was what an SS is now, I know because google told me http://www.firstgencamaro.com/1967camarofacts.html

This is the dumbest **** I swear.

Last edited by 2002CAMAROSSLS1T56; 04-22-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Banned

And yes I know the 302 Z28 was quicker in the 1/4 mile than the 396 SS.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wrong A/C accumulator, and the engine compartment is way too shiney, underside of hood too.

Ops...Forgot about the accumulator.

Wow, that's a LOT of work to make that 94 into your red "SS". I find it hard to believe that is financially feasible - wouldn't it be cheaper to find a 4th gen LS1 SS?

Not to take away from the hours of time and labour to finish your project though. Nice work - I respect anyone who turns their own wrenches (which I am hoping you did ).
Yes, I did all the work. When I bought the car I wanted a 97 SS car but they cost a fortune and was hard to find. I bought the primered wreck for $1500 with an awsome running LT1/T56, it also had T tops which I had to have.

The interior was swapped from a wrecked 97 Z28 I got for nearly free. The LS1 was from a 2002 TA I got for real cheap. The front clip and hood were from forum members. Including all mods in my sig I had less than 15-17k in the car. You could barely buy one for that much less mod it. Plus I built it exactly how I wanted it.

Sadly it's sold and I'm on to a new project.

Re'

Last edited by RE AND CHERYL; 04-22-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Banned

Sadly it's sold and I'm on to a new project.

Re'
Damn that sucks IMO. It looks better than factory.
Guess thats how the hobby goes....
Old 04-23-2009, 06:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
It matters to those who own one IMO.

Do you think the Ferrari guys like kit car Ferrari Fieros running around beside them? I doubt it - and yes I realize that is far more extreme.

Really, the WU8 is more than hood/wheels/spoiler. It included a Power Steering cooler, different shocks, springs, swaybars and different exhaust. After 2000, every car came with a Hurst shifter as well. The power was only rated at 5 more horsepower, but it was more, lol!

Not collector cars?? Collectible items are in the eye of the beholder - perhaps the 02 Zs will be worth more than the SS??? Who truly knows?
You're right, that's a bit extreme. Forget performance. The quickest and fastest stock cars are the well driven M6 stripper Z28's and Formula's due to less weight. Having an SS or WS6 would mean more if GM didn't make so many. In 1999 they made over 3000 WS6's, almost 5000 SS's but only about 1600 Formulas.

So teqniqually I have a rarer car then any standard WS6 or SS owner. Not that it means anything because it doesn't. It's just an appearance package which brings with it some extra resale value. Of course that only helps if you actually sell your car which most of us never want to do.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you don't like that, you'll really hate this. This car is actually a 94 Z28 I built over 5 years. Except for the wrong ABS and under hood fuse box, it's nearly impossible to tell it apart. I even made my own SLP option sticker for th epassenger side door and RPO code sticker. Too much you say. NO. I never passed it off as a SS. It was too fun watching peoples expression when I told them what it was in a previous life.

Yes it had an LS1 too

And the correct interior.

If you can beleive it, this is what I started with.

It's great if it's a real SS. but most of us with real SS cars have removed many of the SLP SS parts to personalize our cars anyway. The important thing is that you enjoy your car and DRIVE it as much as you can. I hat eit when someone thinks their car is so special or so valuable that they don't want to drive it. A friend of my fathers has an original AC 427 Cobra with a little over 5k on it. He shows it to everyone and if your lucky you might hear it run. But he's only put about 5 miles on it in the 10 or so years I've known him. I'm guessing must of that was to and from the trailer.

Re'
the ss emblems are too low on the fenders also