General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Running Open LT's

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

bullshit..open header for daily driving= Success!!!...id been doin it for like two weeks until i put my exhaust on..its fun...but after awhile you do get irritated by it when you just want to cruise..at the end of the day....just do what you want to do..
Old 04-29-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

i started mine in my garage and loved it! i honestly would run it that way everyday all day if i could but as said it toasts o2's and the law isnt as much of a fan as i am...

i have ridden in one that way too so i dont want to hear "until you drive it you dont know" bs....
Old 04-30-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Whaaatttt ??????????.....I can't hear yooouuu.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Now my dad used to have a 70 cutlass S with a 455 Rocket Cammed, shaved head, and when he ran open headers, that **** sounded cool as ****. Stock LS1, not so much. I'm telling you it sounds cool for all of 5 minutes, and then you realize that you cant even move the car without 80db of sound roaring through your thin *** floorboards. Now if you are ging to do it, at least throw some cheap turndowns on it
Old 04-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Launching!

been there done that got the "excessive noise- via defective muffler system" ticket so i put an exhaust with a cut-out in my opinion its the best of both worlds. wanna go loud to the strip or car meet open the cut-out , and for the times when you wanna be able to drive and not get pulled over or be able to hear on the phone or radio or someone next to you cap the cut out, its still loud as hell even with the cut-out closed but its loud behind the car not in the car( i run the loudmouth with a cutout where the bullet muffler goes with LT's and no cats), with it open HOLY **** it shakes everything and you can't hear **** but hey at times thats what i want other times not. especially when the cop is writing you up for everything he can, i even turned the car off when i got pulled over he told me to refire it and then just glarred at me and shook his head.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

id say at least leave the ypipe on
Old 04-30-2009, 01:41 PM
11 Second Club

it will sound like poop
Old 04-30-2009, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

I ran my truck with a y-pipe only for two years. Big *** k-5 blazer with a 350. It was annoying as hell and the best thing ever LOL..

I run my cutout open 24/7 now. As long as your drive sane your OK..
Old 04-30-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by billymz28
it will sound like poop
idk how anyone on this board can say that... i loved the sound and i couldnt imagine the absolute SEX of a cammed car open headers!
Old 04-30-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 6.0mustang
bitch your not the forum mommy i'll type til my fingers bleed you worthless ******* half wit. if you want to hear your junk with open headers then go do it. dont ask people on a forum for there opinions, you wont like most answers i promise. and i have a chevy mustang becuase i think the ls1 is the best ford motor chevy ever built, they just failed to put it in a ford.
and for the record, i'm sure it will sound like any v8 with open headers, to small of lope to be cool, and not enough compression to really have a crack sound
Your an idiot. Question is the purpose of a forum not a public place to ask questions opinions and ideas about anything? Is it not then the opportunity of the other members of the forum to present their ideas and opinions on the original idea. Then its up to the original poster to choose what he or she wants to do and form their own opinion.

Also it will not sound like just any other v8 with open headers. I guarantee if you line up a 305, LS1 346, Carbed 350, the 4.6L out of a stang, a 5.7L mopar hemi, and a 454 big block. No two of those will sounds the same so stop making general rationalizations about things.

I'm now done with this. The E-PUNK scares me. He might get me...
Old 04-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Launching!

your an idiot you ******* retard. if you ask about how one sounds then how the hell do you know what any one those engines sound like. and since i have heard all of those in a BONE STOCK form with open headers they all sound similar. just like a 4 cylinder honda and a 4 cylinder nissan. i just become amazed by the question people ask in these forums, when the simple answer is right there. GO TRY IT...
Old 04-30-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

E punk
Old 04-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Geez fellas , can we chill out a bit on the flame posts? Purty please?
Old 04-30-2009, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

I don't recommend open headers for street driving. Open headers for racing is great. I am in the process of converting to true duals and my car has approximately 3 feet of 3'' pipe straight off the headers. It is too loud and obnoxious for street driving imo.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Veteran

6.0 Mustang, gave you a warning. If you can relax a lil bit, that would be great.

Anyways Running open headers in my opinion is not rewarding. You have to un-do your exhaust, risk bruning up o2 senors (not cheap), and doesnt sound all that great.

I love a mean, raspy, aggressive tone but when I did it (was after a head install) was not impressed with the sound...sounded like a dump truck.

Dont do it man. You want a badass sounding exhaust get a Corsa.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

I ran them to take a 5 minute drive home, auper loud and POPPED every time you slowed down or shifted and it was loud. But it got old fast and i would not want to drive a car like that longer then 1/2 hour tops.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

well, it does infact sound GAY! And im sorry, but the LS series motors open headers DO NOT sound anything like a traditional small block open headers. They are way too raspy, crackly and shitty sounding with them. Oh, did anyone mention the backfires ??
Old 05-01-2009, 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Friend of mine installed his shitty dynatech headers and ran em open for a week and it sounded like a dump truck. After that we ended up doing a torquer 2 and left the headers open and the backfires were terrible and only sounded good at WOT. That's the only time its worth it. Went through a set of o2s also. Kisten to all advice, not just what you wanna hear man. Plenty of knowledgable people here. But at the end of the day, its your call and car car man.

PS- 6.0mustang, I loled at "best motor ford ever put in a chevy".
Old 05-01-2009, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

haha drove my car to school all the time when I first had open headers and everyone thought I had like a big block 454 under the hood it was fun. Had it that way for about three months and then finally got a B&B triflow exhaust put on with a offroad y pipe and its still loud as heck but shoots the sound out the back of the car. Also the vibration from open headers will drive you NUTS!! your interior will vibrate apart and rattle non-stop trust me.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Im going to give it a try once i get my 408 together. I bet thats going to sound SICK!!! I might have to run with an open ory-pipe too for a little while until i can afford a catback

Quick Reply: Running Open LT's