General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Shipping and buying an ls1 car out of state

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping and buying an ls1 car out of state

I have a car in mind and the owner is offering free shipping. Is there anyway I can protect this buy? I really don't want to get burned. The car is in Georgia (I'm in MN). Should I just fly out to him and drive back?

thanks
Old 05-02-2009, 12:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most shipping companies offer insurance irc....but i drove to georgia from iowa to get my car with a trailor, although it was totalled...
Old 05-02-2009, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my old WS6 delivered from NO to NJ. I sent a Certified check from my bank and had it overnighted with delivery confirmation and a signature required. I wasn't to worried because he was a member here and had high feedback. If I ever did it again I'd probably fly and drive back
Old 05-02-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 530 Likes on 380 Posts

It is worth the time and cost to see the car personally. What if it isn't up to snuff? Cars are just not honestly represented in too many instances. Sometimes it is just ignorance on the seller's part as well with no intention of misleading anyone. My last two purchases involved distances of 400 and 700 miles respectively. Both were well worth the few hundred dollars in motels, gas, fast food. Peace of mind is very important. Also the drive back home was priceless in both instances. A wonderful opportunity to bond with your new ride.
Bear with me here and I will give you an example of a situation that would have been a terrible experience if the car was shipped sight unseen. My older neighbor was in love with a '98 Lincoln LSC with ultra low miles. It was represented as 'excellent' as expected in a low mileage car of this type. I insisted that we drive a half day (300 miles) to see the car before buying it. He reluctantly agreed and upon arrival we found a car that looked superb from 20 feet and had looked incredible in the photos. Upon close inspection we started to see numerous dings and scratches on the fenders and especially the rear bumper. It was not minor stuff and very obvious up close. The driver's side leather seat looked really worn and we were puzzled how a low mileage leather seat could look so bad. We found out the owner was quite heavy. The tires showed an alignment issue and 3 of the 4 wheels had curb rash. Again, not minor and hard to see in photos. This 'excellent' car turned out to be just average. It would have been a HUGE disappointment to have had this car delivered. That trip $$ my neighbor spent was worth every penny. He was so happy to return home empty-handed and later bought a really 'excellent' condition Lincoln. Good luck with your search!