General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

2010 Camaro is HUGE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by duffman
Of course its big, it rolls on dubs and still has some good fender gap. Thats the only thing i hate about it and the only thing keeping me from buying it. If its on "dubs" it needs to complete the look and tuck into the fender nicely. But it dosen't, so what if I wanted some lightweight 18s? Then I'd look way more like a damn 4x4 than my stock hieght 4th gen. if it wasnt for that one fact, I can get over the small wieght problem, but for that fact alone im not getting one. Still a nice car though and I cant wait to see one on the road.
the thing i like that they did about the wheels/tires is that; overall, the tires/wheels are a bit taller than the 4th gen and so they have a bigger footprint. if not for the low profile sidewalls, i'd expect these things to hook up pretty good even with the irs.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcianci
Hey I am just saying what I have heard. I am actually out of town right now and I stopped at a different Chevy dealer and the guy told me there are actually like 23000 orders and so far GM has built like 5000. Once again, this is what I have heard.
lol, typical dealer. If that was the case then why are still sitting on the dealer lots???

Seen one next to a 02 SS and the new one is huge compared to the older one. Weird that the challenger and camaro both have to have 20's on them to look good. If you went with 17's or even 18's with drag radials the car will just not look right. Even if you did lower it, the body is sooo much bigger and needs a big rim.
Waiting to see what these cars run in the 1/4 with some drag radials and a competent driver.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mcianci
Hey I am just saying what I have heard. I am actually out of town right now and I stopped at a different Chevy dealer and the guy told me there are actually like 23000 orders and so far GM has built like 5000. Once again, this is what I have heard.
GM has already issued vin# 10,000. It happened yesterday. So in a few months they have built over 10k cars and half of that time was going really slow and building up to speed. I think "the mole" said they were working up to 400 cars a day.

Compared to the 4th gen they are huge but they are so much more practical. An upright seating position and someone older than 5 can fit in the back seats.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:57 PM

The new Challenger is a big fatty too.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
the new camaro needs an aftermarket grill bad!
x2
Old 05-15-2009, 11:28 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

The 5th gen is a fat pig. A 2SS tips the scales a little over 3900 # and a 1SS will be in the 38xx range.

Our local F-body club had the opportunity to get a private audience with 3 new 5th gens and Scott Settlemire and John ____ (the Director of Marketing, can't remember his last name now).

First question to them from me was why is it so (damn) heavy? John responded with very generalized statements about increased safety, comfort, and stability, and meeting government standards. He claimed the car "does not feel that heavy" and that it is quite nimble... blah blah blah.

We finger banged those 3 5th gens for about 2.5 hours before the auto show opened and I have to say that overall they are attractive and the interiors are nice even if the center controls look like video game controllers. However, the stupidly heavy curb weight is deterring me from getting one.

I'll hang onto my little motley collection of 4th gens for the time being.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

4th gen: two airbags
5th gen: six airbags

That alone could easily add 200lbs from the extra modules, actual airbags and wiring.

How much does the IRS add? Bigger brakes? Extra huge wheels? Sound insulation??

How much does a fully loaded 4th gen weigh? 3500-3600lbs right? The car is MOSTLY freaking fiberglass and plastic yet it weighed that much.

If you really care about the weight that much, buy one and then cut it up. Cars are getting heavier as they get bigger and more regulations are being imposed. Just the nature of the beast.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TWS
The 5th gen is a fat pig. A 2SS tips the scales a little over 3900 # and a 1SS will be in the 38xx range.

Our local F-body club had the opportunity to get a private audience with 3 new 5th gens and Scott Settlemire and John ____ (the Director of Marketing, can't remember his last name now).

First question to them from me was why is it so (damn) heavy? John responded with very generalized statements about increased safety, comfort, and stability, and meeting government standards. He claimed the car "does not feel that heavy" and that it is quite nimble... blah blah blah.

We finger banged those 3 5th gens for about 2.5 hours before the auto show opened and I have to say that overall they are attractive and the interiors are nice even if the center controls look like video game controllers. However, the stupidly heavy curb weight is deterring me from getting one.

I'll hang onto my little motley collection of 4th gens for the time being.
keep all your 4th gens thats the last solid rear axle true muscle car these new camaros are fat pigs with irs our camaros are already legends at the drag strip and very interchangable with parts like th350 trans th400 etc... our platform is the best
Old 05-16-2009, 02:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
I read on Edmunds:

2009 Mustang GT (Deluxe) = 3356
2010 Camaro 1SS = 3860 (3849 on Chevy's website)
holy ****...
Old 05-16-2009, 10:34 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bballr4567
How much does a fully loaded 4th gen weigh? 3500-3600lbs right? WRONG The car is MOSTLY freaking fiberglass and plastic yet it weighed that much. A 4th gen Camaro with a V8 weighs from 33xx (my stripper '99) to about 3440 (pretty much fully loaded with T-tops). The 5th gen SS is about a 500 # increase, and I think that is excessive.

If you really care about the weight that much, buy one and then cut it up. No, if I care about weight "that much" I just won't buy one. F U GM Dumbassess.
Yes, we covered the whole airbag addition thing, blah blah with the Chevy execs. If I want to feel like I am in a safety cocoon, I'll buy a freakin' Volvo. Hard core performance people are going to think like me: they are going to think the 5th gen is heavy.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Federal regulations>>>>>> consumers.

Im sure they hate that its as big as it is but Id rather have a car than no car because it cant meet safety regulations.

Also think about this, seriously. GM designed the 4th gen when?? Late 80s and very early 90s. Nothing changed in almost 10 years the 4th gen was on the production line.

If they were to have the 5th gen in 2003 you can bet it would of been 200-300 lbs heavier. Then the 6th gen (the actual 5th gen) would be another 200 lbs heavier. By skipping those 7-8 years we had to skip all the extra regulations that was passed.

Does anybody else wonder how the 4th gen would do in the federal crash testing now? Im sure it would get zero stars on the side impact and maybe two on the frontal and rear.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
I read on Edmunds:

2009 Mustang GT (Deluxe) = 3356
2010 Camaro 1SS = 3860 (3849 on Chevy's website)
there is also a v6 mustang gt option so that might be it. but idk. oh and maybe its just that im accustom to the interior of the fourth gen but they definately messed up the 5th gens interior. i was very dissapointed sitting in one. its the dash. the entire dash. there is NOTHING going on.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:53 AM
Launching!

Basically the 2010 Camaro is two generations newer than the 4th gen F-Body... 8 years between each. I love our cars and would take a 4th gen over a 5th gen if I wanted all our straight-line performance bang for your buck, but GM made the Camaro to be a great all-round performer. They probably indirectly want to shed the whole mullet stereotype and appeal to a wider audience.

As people have said, its just the nature of the auto business today. Cars get bigger and heavier, because stupid people in their huge *** SUVs pose a danger to the general populous in our little cars, so big brother feels like he needs to step in and play guardian. Regulations for things like roof crush resistance and all that get stricter and stricter.

I like how someone brought up the point about the airbags. Definitely a weight adder there.... a stripped down 1SS should weigh very close to a 4th gen, maybe more maybe less. Around a road course even with full weight, it would probably out-handle the 4th gen with ease. It just sucks that you'd have to go that far though.... removing the airbags to make your daily driver lighter would probably void your insurance policy.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks worse compared to a early 4th gen. But damn it is sitting on 20's looks like our cars did before they get lowered, 4x4 camaro. The nose is not as aerodynamic as the late model camaros that we own, but that was not GM's idea. The idea was to make a retro 60's Camaro.

Mine is lowered two inches in the front and my dads 2010 is still at the stock ride height for now. Best comparison that I have for ride height and being huge.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

For all the reasons everyone has given about why the new Camaro is so much heavier, then why is the new Mustang so much lighter than the new Camaro.
Why can Ford make the Mustang so much lighter than the Camaro?
They both have to conform to the same regulations, so that would seem to throw out that excuse.
Why?
Old 05-18-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ford didnt redesign the new Mustang. It isnt a new generation like they want to call it. Its just a facelift on a very old platform. Its basically like the '98 fbody redesign minus the engine.

Mustang is still live axle rear. It doesnt have side curtain airbag. The one that is probably the heaviest because it is in the whole roofline.

Then, its much smaller than all the other cars. Thats probably the biggest difference. Wait until Ford makes the new generation and see how much pork it gains.

Truthfully, how many 4th gen owners like how the car rides and the room in it? Im gonna guess not many. My wife basically refuses to go on highway road trips in my Formula because its so uncomfortable. Hell in the 5th gen you can put 4 golf bags in it and STILL carry all 4 of your buddies to the course.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Teching In

I think the new Camaro is good, but not great. I think it suits it's purpose well and most of the complaints people have about the Camaro can be solved by just getting a Corvette. I'll agree that the new Camaro is heavy and looks about as aerodynamic as a brick.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Ford didnt redesign the new Mustang. It isnt a new generation like they want to call it. Its just a facelift on a very old platform. Its basically like the '98 fbody redesign minus the engine.

Mustang is still live axle rear. It doesnt have side curtain airbag. The one that is probably the heaviest because it is in the whole roofline.

Then, its much smaller than all the other cars. Thats probably the biggest difference. Wait until Ford makes the new generation and see how much pork it gains.

Truthfully, how many 4th gen owners like how the car rides and the room in it? Im gonna guess not many. My wife basically refuses to go on highway road trips in my Formula because its so uncomfortable. Hell in the 5th gen you can put 4 golf bags in it and STILL carry all 4 of your buddies to the course.

I don't exactlly know, but yes you can put four golf bags in the trunk, but there is no way you can fit four grown men in the new 5th gen. If you can tell me how many of them are comfortable.... Roomy in front hands down about the same amount of room in the back seat as the 4th gen
Old 05-18-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didnt say they would be comfortable but they would fit. Try that in a 4th gen. It doesnt and wont happen at all. They would just laugh at you. Plus, you CANT get 4 golfbags in a 4th gen. You can fit 2 and maybe 3 without using the passenger compartment.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

I don't think the 5th gen is roomy inside at all. With the sunroof, my head hits the ceiling even with the seat all the way down. While the rear seats don't put you with your knees around your ears like the 4th gen, they're no more comfortable.