General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Should I trade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds fishy
Old 05-14-2009, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Lightnings break rods everyday. I have read numerous threads on their forums about this. It is a real problem and apparently a big deal in the Ford community. A very hot topic with those guys... I personally would never want one for this and other reasons (already have a 99 Z-71 for one). And my T/A will bloody it's nose......
I had mine for almost six years and have been hard on it on/off the track since day one, with no problems. And for a 4700lb truck it sure puts an *** beating on both my f-body's. Maybe not yours but defineitely mine.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Badhawk
I had mine for almost six years and have been hard on it on/off the track since day one, with no problems. And for a 4700lb truck it sure puts an *** beating on both my f-body's. Maybe not yours but defineitely mine.
They are sweet looking and sounding but they didn't get the upgrade in rods the Cobras got so they are the weak link in those motors kinda like our hyperteutic pistons. I read a several page thread about it on a ford forum and several had broken rods but several other guys claimed to beat the snot outta their trucks with no ill efects.

I have run a best 12.02 with PCM pulling 4* of timing cause of y pipe banging and sending it to KR. I need to do poly motor mounts but haven't had the time.... I also have heavyass 24LB ZR1 replica wheels all around that soaks power I will straighten it out soon and should see high elevens at least.

Quick story.. I was at Coastal plains raceway talking with 3 marines all with chargers and a lightning came down the track. My 7 yr. old daghter punched me in the arm and said "Daddy listen, that truck is running a supercharger". they couldn't believe she picked up on that and it tickled them almost as it tickled me LOL. I am raising her right guys.....
Old 05-15-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lightnings have other issues before weak rods come to mind, leaking intercooler cores and spark plug blowouts are things I would be concerned with a 2000 truck over the rods.

I would not do the trade, that car is worth maybe $10K in a good market, I do not think lightnings (well in decent shape) are to that point yet are they?

Ryan