General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

which oil does everyone use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 06:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 3000GT VR4 I used a Canton oil filter; they are not cheap at $79 for the kit, but they are the BEST filter that $$$ can buy, and when your running turbos, your choice of filter come in to play more that ever. I will be getting one for the Bird ASAP!

http://www.cmfilters.com/spin-on.cfm

As for oil, I used Motul 300v, but at $30/2L (sold in 2 liters cans) it is not a realistic choice for most. Now on those days I am feeling cheap, I will use Amsoil; it runs about $11 a qt.

DM
Old 05-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Vicinity
No, not really. Might increase your MPG, though.

Well, I took a leap of faith yesterday. I changed oil in the TA, even tho the current Castrol has only been in there for about 950 miles.

I put in Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30, with AC Delco filter.

Took it out and ran it about 10 miles or so. It did seen to idle smoother, and a tad bit higher. The oil pressure was a bit higher, maybe 5 pounds, than it was before.

The annoying octane rattle during hard acceleration was just gone. Disappeared. Wow.

This morning, I started it up cold. No rattle. I had to put my ear almost to the fender to hear anything. With the Castrol in there, I could here the piston slap going down the street.

Ran it on the highway, about a 50 mile round trip. Ran great.

I like this oil. This is the first automobile I''ve ever known to be oil sensitive.

Oh, yeah. My fuel economy isn't going to improve for a while. I'm having too much fun......

Thanks for the info on the different types of oil, guys.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by johnnybravo

The annoying octane rattle during hard acceleration was just gone. Disappeared. Wow.

That annoying rattle during acceleration is called DETONATION! Unless I am missing the Joke or something!?!

DM
Old 05-27-2009, 07:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
That annoying rattle during acceleration is called DETONATION! Unless I am missing the Joke or something!?!

DM

Ya gotta bear with me here. I'm new to the LS1 scene, so no jokes on my end. What causes the Detonation?
Old 05-27-2009, 07:26 AM
12 Second Club

Ya gotta bear with me here. I'm new to the LS1 scene, so no jokes on my end. What causes the Detonation?
Running lean/poor fuel. A number of things.

An aftermarket untuned maf?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Running lean/poor fuel. A number of things.

An aftermarket untuned maf?

To my knowledge, the car is bone stock. I''ve been running Ultra 94 in it. Only one station in town sells Ultra 94. Do ya think they're selling crappy fuel?

It only rattled during really hard acceleration, only for a moment in a couple gears, but because of that, I rarely got on it. It just started that recently. So.......was I shifting incorrectly, perhaps letting the RPM's drop too much between gears? I dunno.

Or like Joshie said, perhaps my Sunoco station changed something and now they're selling crap gas?

I gotta fix a couple screens on the porch (stupid cat), then if it doesn't rain, I'm gonna take the TA out later and see what happens. Threre are still a few areas in the county the cops ignore.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotella 15w 40...Heavy duty ****.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Launching!

Use to run Castrol Syntech, european blend, went back to M1 with KandN oil filter, as I cannot find the Euro Castrol anymore.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

what about weight I put 5w30 and I notice that I leak a littke oil with it as opposed to conventional is it ok to run 10w40
Old 05-27-2009, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
This is some funny **** Just change the oil when you should and it won't really matter what you use nowadays I use GC and change it depending on how hard I beat the bitch Prolly overkill. Guys on here using Wal- Mart brand with good results..... Lots of variables.

I have to ask you other guys though, how is RP ****? It may not be the greatest fluid ever to touch an engine... like they used to claim. But it's certainly not bad. I have run it in my car since I bought it (~15k miles ago) I've beat the hell out of it every one of those miles and made about 200 passes on it and it still runs strong and smooth sitting at 90k right now. The key is to change it based on the amount of abuse you've given it rather than how many miles you put on it. My last oil change had about 2k miles on it and it came out almost as clean as it went in.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Launching!

To my knowledge, the car is bone stock. I''ve been running Ultra 94 in it. Only one station in town sells Ultra 94. Do ya think they're selling crappy fuel?

It only rattled during really hard acceleration, only for a moment in a couple gears, but because of that, I rarely got on it. It just started that recently. So.......was I shifting incorrectly, perhaps letting the RPM's drop too much between gears? I dunno.

Or like Joshie said, perhaps my Sunoco station changed something and now they're selling crap gas?

I gotta fix a couple screens on the porch (stupid cat), then if it doesn't rain, I'm gonna take the TA out later and see what happens. Threre are still a few areas in the county the cops ignore.
On a stock car, running premium fuel, you shouldn't have detonation.
I would try using another station. I've never had any detonation
running 91 octane. If you can, stay away from the ethenol blend.
Do you know how long it has been since the spark plugs have been changed?

BTW, I run Penzoil Platimum 5W-30 & an AC Delco filter also.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Launching!

looks like alot of people are running pennzoil, maybe i'm gonna switch when i get home. that or maybe q-state. 5w-30 sound bout right?
Old 05-27-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Mobile 1 synthetic. I have Lucas synthetic in the rear end..
Old 05-27-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

i used pennzoil plat for a year but im trying out castrol syntec now; ill probably switch back to PP next change
Old 05-27-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Hey! Thanks a lot, man!!! I didn't know there was a free kit and that it was so cheap to have done.

See, there can be good come of super-mega-over asked-question threads.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Teching In

i run AMSOIL 5W30 in mine
Old 05-27-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I seem to have really variable oil pressures when I run 5Wxx, according to the pressure gauge in the dash. When I run 10Wxx, I seem to have a good steady pressure. Any input on that?
Old 05-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OSU Football Fan
On a stock car, running premium fuel, you shouldn't have detonation.
I would try using another station. I've never had any detonation
running 91 octane. If you can, stay away from the ethenol blend.
Do you know how long it has been since the spark plugs have been changed?

I'm going to run out this tank of gas, then trythe Shell station down the street from Sunoco.

As far as the plugs, they're most likely the original. I got the car when it had 43k ( I think), now it has 54k miles. I've heard claim that spark plugs are good for 100k miles now a days, but that seems like a far stretch for one of the most abused components of an engine.

Is there a recommended change time for the LS1 spark plugs? Either mileage or time period?