General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

C5 ZO6 Best Value?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009 | 10:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeBBQ
this thread just went to **** quick. the OP is trying to find a c5z for >25k and then of course you get some dumbass coming in here talking about his friends cobra making 1100rwtq. random **** response.

OP is trying to find a bang for the buck well rounded car. and the current state of c5's resale your NOT going to beat a c5z. handles amazing stock and is damn quick and lsX parts are getting cheaper by the day.

end of story.

oh by the way, my cousin has a alky BBC with a 101mm. try and do that on the cobra engine and that bitch will BLOW UP. what a PIECE OF ****!!!!!!
Alright dumbass, why dont you go read the OP's first post again. He asked if anyone could think of something else as the last sentence.
Old 06-19-2009 | 10:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lemons12
an ls6 will make 600rwhp all day long.. there are people of blowing bone stock cars with a 75 shot of nitrous... does that mean it will happen? no... just means they dont know what they can hold..

hard tops are plain sexy...

i was saying if you put the procharger on the vette.. then after that i told what simple mods on a vette would do to a full bolt on cobra with a pulley and tune.
hellion this hellion that... i have seen some decent hellion setups... they dont impress me too much... a procharged zo6 at around 10-12 lbs wouldnt have a problem with it..
its halirous that you think the cobra is a better performer than the vette.. or even close to it.. stock, modded, straight line, corners, braking... the cobra just doesnt have what it takes..

i have not showed anyone im an idiot.. i have done my research on both cars... road in both cars.. my next car *Was* going to be a termy or a zo6... didnt take too much research (and seeing a full bolt on smaller pulley and tuned cobra on radials get walked on by a zo6 with a cai and street tires what a joke..) i know what both cars are and arent capable of..
Ok, your right, just because some people blew the LS6 around 600 not everyone will i guess. Ive never look into what WHP the LS6 can handle but since i read a few people blowing at 600whp and then read a few more plus i have been told in person by c5 z06 owners that their not going over 600whp so they dont blow, i figured 600whp was a high safe point for them.

The vette does look damn good, better then a cobra IMO but my formula spoiled me with the t tops, i hate hardtops now. Ttops, targa tops or vert from here on out for me. Thats why id take a cobra vert with a stylish bar over a zo6.

The full bolt on pullied cobra that got beat by the cai z06 couldnt drive, no way in hell. Ive seen the exact opposit except the z06 had a aftermarket intake mani too(forgot what brand). The cobra was pullied with bolt ons and exhaust and was even a vert and walked my friends z06 with ease this was from a roll too.
Old 06-19-2009 | 10:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by XtremeBBQ
but dude, 1132rwtq STOCK. the lsx would BLOW UP.
can you read?

Ok since you think your funny, what LSx engine can also do this? Please tell me. I would love to know.
Old 06-19-2009 | 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Last month I traded in my 2002 Formula Firehawk, for a 03 Z06. It's honestly one of the best decisions I've made! The Hawk was a blast, don't get me wrong, but the Z06 is just on a whole different level! Go For it!!
Old 06-19-2009 | 09:15 PM
Teching In

How much were the z06's when they first came out?
Old 06-19-2009 | 09:53 PM
Teching In

people always talk about cobras being able to handle a lot of power... the one thing that always goes BEFORE anything, isnt forged on a cobra... PISTONS!!!!!!!!!!!
i had a buddy get a cobra.. he had the money or a 20k and under car..
he got it because it can handle 1000rwhp...
he said it was a killer deal because it had a new engine put in it that had half the miles...
one of my buddies said "wait, why is there a new engine?"
the cobra owner replies "the last one blew up.. he was pushing around 10 pounds of boost"
we all wondered why if cobras can handle 1000rwhp why they blow up at 450?????

cobras are NOT all people crack them up to be..
03/04 Cobras ARE fully forged from the factory- yes, even the pistons. The iron block however I wouldn't push much past 850....hell I wouldn't push that longblock past 850. BUT the TUNE is the key factor that many people eff up on Cobras. I had a 2.81 upper 6 lb lower, JLT RAI, full exhaust AND TUNE and put 475 to the ground on over 13psi with no problem all day long. So can they handle 1000 stock? NO THEY CAN'T- but neither can a C5Z. Cobras can definately go WELL OVER 700 stock with no problem properly tuned (obviously not with a stock blower though.)

Not trying to start ****- just keeping it real.

Last edited by Z28usmc; 06-20-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06-19-2009 | 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

fully forged is nice espically if you want to spray
Old 06-20-2009 | 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice.. you just proved me correct... the highest one was 486 iirc... thats not 500, and im going to assume thats a bit happy dyno... if your talking 500 FLYWHEEL... ****, thats easy in a TON of cars.. that is NOTHING special..
people that are into this sport dont talk about flywheel numbers.. only what gets put to the ground counts..

Originally Posted by R W B
Ok, your right, just because some people blew the LS6 around 600 not everyone will i guess. Ive never look into what WHP the LS6 can handle but since i read a few people blowing at 600whp and then read a few more plus i have been told in person by c5 z06 owners that their not going over 600whp so they dont blow, i figured 600whp was a high safe point for them.

The vette does look damn good, better then a cobra IMO but my formula spoiled me with the t tops, i hate hardtops now. Ttops, targa tops or vert from here on out for me. Thats why id take a cobra vert with a stylish bar over a zo6.

The full bolt on pullied cobra that got beat by the cai z06 couldnt drive, no way in hell. Ive seen the exact opposit except the z06 had a aftermarket intake mani too(forgot what brand). The cobra was pullied with bolt ons and exhaust and was even a vert and walked my friends z06 with ease this was from a roll too.
now your being more open minded!

i would feel VERY safe with a zo6 @ 600.. some may not.. just what you think.. i like to push the envelope with most things..

i do like a vert cobra with a nice bar.. but something about them just doesnt cut it.. i guess the zo6 looks more "sporty" (not really the word i was looking for..) its just lower to the ground and hugs it better.. smaller...?

remember... were not talking 16 lbs.. im talking 10 or so lbs.. they can both drive pretty decently.. the cobra has a shift light and what not.. he cut 1.6s at the track.. but this was from a roll and most of the driver mod is taken out..
i think that would be the outcome regardless..

Ok since you think your funny, what LSx engine can also do this? Please tell me. I would love to know.
honestly, i dont think an 03/04 could handle that either... could you link my to the thread, i am curious..

Originally Posted by Z28usmc
03/04 Cobras ARE fully forged from the factory- yes, even the pistons. The iron block however I wouldn't push much past 850....hell I wouldn't push that longblock past 850. BUT the TUNE is the key factor that many people eff up on Cobras. I had a 2.81 upper 6 lb lower, JLT RAI, full exhaust AND TUNE and put 475 to the ground on over 13psi with no problem all day long. So can they handle 1000 stock? NO THEY CAN'T- but neither can a C5Z. Cobras can definately go WELL OVER 700 stock with no problem properly tuned (obviously not with a stock blower though.)

Not trying to start ****- just keeping it real.
again, interested... i have heard the pistons are not forged.. do you have any proof of this either way?

that being said.. a zo6 can be faster without going FI than a cobra, mainly because of weight.. but still..
Old 06-20-2009 | 08:35 AM
Teching In

again, interested... i have heard the pistons are not forged.. do you have any proof of this either way?

that being said.. a zo6 can be faster without going FI than a cobra, mainly because of weight.. but still..
For one a lot of people confuse the motors in the Cobra's. The only modern COBRA (not to be confused with the GT500) to come with Forged internals is the 03/04 Cobra- I'm not including the very limited production Cobra R or the STG3 Roush or Saleens as they are "ultra niche" as far as mustangs go. The following is a link comparing the 00R to the Terminator- lots of good info including engine builds: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...son/index.html .......here is an 03/04 Cobra specific "fact" sheet: http://www.mustangspecs.com/years/03cobra.shtml ...the 03/04 Mach1's share MANY of the parts to their Cobra cousins to include heads and forged crank (M5 only) but nothing else on the Mach is forged. I believe the 99/01 Cobras also have a forged crank but everything else is CRAP internally- except the heads of course!!

As far as high HP Cobras. I'd say check a sister site- WWW.svtperformance.com , there are many people who post their build/mod/dyno sheets over there- especially in the for sale section. Now when I say there are MANY 03/04 Cobras in the 7XX-8XX range please keep in mind that that is NOT on the stock blower- to get those #'s you need KB/Whipple/Hellion/HPTT etc. to do it. With an unported stock blower (with no sauce) the best you can hope for with supporting mods is 49X's or so. Ported blower you can get to mid 5XX's but you are pushing the stock blower to the limit and it's got to be tuned within an inch of it's life. With the big KB or Whipple and supporting mods (it all comes down to $ of course) you can get low 8XX's but typically you'll see high 6XX low 7XX. If you go on KB's website they even say after mid 7XX you gotta build the bottom end with their big blowers. The alternative is to go T or TT- they put far less stress on the motor than a pos displ blower. That's when you see consistant 7XX+ on the stock bottom end. Here is a link to a TT mystichrome build that demonstrates how to and how not to (in the beginning) properly build a Cobra. It will give you a really good feel for just how much potential these cars have. http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...bra/index.html

That being said it typically takes 85+ MORE RWHP for an 03/04 Cobra to beat a Z06. Aerodynamics and wt are NOT the 03/04 Cobras friend. Also another note. A lot of Terminator newbs have issues because they boost in 5th and 6th gear- that is a HUGE NO-NO with these cars. The piston tolerances can't handle boosting in those gears at those RPM's. There has been quite a few folks that have detonated because of this. It can be mitigated with tuning, cooling mod, meth inj or simply getting better pistons. This could be what happened to your friend. But this can be said for any car if you push it to it's limits. I am willing to bet more than one newb has over revved his/her Z and blew the motor- it happens.

Hope that helps- again, not trying to start ****. Just keeping the facts straight.

I'm loving my new (new to me- it's a 99) Z28. LSX motors are everything I expected and more. It's definitely one of my all time favorite cars.
Old 06-20-2009 | 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if you can get a c5z for the price you mentioned id go for it. int, tune and tires youll have a fast car. then if you want more theres plenty left.
Old 06-22-2009 | 01:34 AM
Launching!

now your being more open minded!

i would feel VERY safe with a zo6 @ 600.. some may not.. just what you think.. i like to push the envelope with most things..

i do like a vert cobra with a nice bar.. but something about them just doesnt cut it.. i guess the zo6 looks more "sporty" (not really the word i was looking for..) its just lower to the ground and hugs it better.. smaller...?

remember... were not talking 16 lbs.. im talking 10 or so lbs.. they can both drive pretty decently.. the cobra has a shift light and what not.. he cut 1.6s at the track.. but this was from a roll and most of the driver mod is taken out..
i think that would be the outcome regardless..

honestly, i dont think an 03/04 could handle that either... could you link my to the thread, i am curious..

Isnt their a thread here on tech saying the differences between a LS1 and a LS6 and it just says the cam and a few other minor things?

A z06 does have a better sporty look, is lower and all but the hardtop kills it for me.

The cobra your talking about ported or just pullied?

Yea, Cobra motors are all forged, I know that much.
Old 06-22-2009 | 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Isnt their a thread here on tech saying the differences between a LS1 and a LS6 and it just says the cam and a few other minor things?

A z06 does have a better sporty look, is lower and all but the hardtop kills it for me.

The cobra your talking about ported or just pullied?

Yea, Cobra motors are all forged, I know that much.
i hear ya man..

it is a stock unported blower..
Old 06-22-2009 | 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cobra has more power potential. a z06 w/ heads/cam/intake/exhaust would be quicker because of the better suspension and better weight distribution and being about 500lbs lighter. i love the 03-04 cobras(gotta love the whine of the supercharger) and if i had one i would put a whipple on it. screw the stock supercharger.. choosing between a cobra and a z06 is all in your preference. i honestly think the cobra would be funner to drive and you wouldnt have to get into the motor for a lot of power...jmo.

value(which you were asking) between the 02-04z06 vs. 03-04cobra w/ the same miles. same price. both stock. the z06 would be a better value because the car was a $50k brand new. cobra was $35-39k. thats easy to agree w/

i would be happy owning either car.
Old 06-22-2009 | 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

honestly though.. if your looking for a daily driver that you dont want to rag out... you arent going to realy do any mods... MAYBE a CAI/exhaust/tune..
in that case.. the Z will be faster, by quite a bit.
Old 06-23-2009 | 10:33 PM
Teching In

I've never seen a cobra make over 1000 to the wheels on a stock motor. Hell 800 is the most anyone has ever made on a stock motor.

Research people Research....... I've been here done it. Now it's an automatic solid axle single turbo built motor. I drove around on 800+ rwhp on low boost for over a year. I decided to pull the hp twin kit off and go kenne bell with spray. The tuner burnt 3 pistons on the dyno. Besides 3 melted pistons, the rest looked like it was just assembled even after thousands of miles of abuse. I made over 1000 to the wheels with a stock motor. Don't say it can't be done. Check the two links below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trpSMlo7pN8

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...its/index.html
Old 06-23-2009 | 10:41 PM
Teching In

I made over 870 here before i went to bigger turbos.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/P...e-TT_43829.htm I'm the 4th or 5th car...only tt car there. I made 873 lifting twice because twin BOV's were fluttering for some reason.
Old 06-28-2009 | 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id also love a c5/zo6, i have driven one w/6speed, 80 mph in 2nd or 3rd i cant remember, no problem, i have also driven 2 c6, auto/6 speed, way faster than my hawk, the c5 looks the best imo
Old 07-01-2009 | 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

A C5Z is one of the best bargains currently out there. My ultra-mild, cam-only Z16 put down 421rwhp/396rwtq and drives just like stock until you nail it. 3100 pounds is pretty light and the entitre car has a solid, well-put-together feel to it. The handling is incredible stock and with just some tires and brake-pads, you have a track-ready vehicle.

Quick Reply: C5 ZO6 Best Value?