General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Couple questions about choosing a car.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009 | 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kreiger
Well, I think I actually found the car I'm gonna be buying.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1216402460.html

I did a carfax on it, and the first owner had a buyback/manucturers thing on it, but I called the guy i'm buying it from (second owner, has had it almost 9 years), said that the buyback was concerning the traction control, that its really intrusive when it's on. He says he hasn't had any problems with the car, traction control on or not, since he bought it. It was a weekend car for him, but he ran into some financial issue, so selling it.

I e-mailed him with a bunch of questions, like "Do you have the paper work from the work on the trans?" Or "What about the lemon sheet they have to give you " And he had both, and was willing to fax them to me.

He has a pontiac dealer in his town I can go to to have the car checked out, but he seems really legit talking to him. I can usually tell when somebody is trying to pull a fast one on me pretty quickly, but I didn't get that vibe. He knew stuff about the car without having to look it up, like the general maintenance, and you could hear in his voice how much he loved this car.

I asked him some general F-body knowledge questions, and he nailed them first shot.

I'm setting up financing tomorrow, and then I need to figure out how to get it here, and checked out and such. I may ask him to drop it off at the pontiac dealer and have them send me the bill to look at it and call me with the results.

What do you guys think?

TL;DR Clean carfax, low miles, weekend driver, seems to genuinely love this car.

Looks like a really good find, just get rid of that lame shifter... I hardily ever see ls1's with the non-hurst shifter.
Old 07-07-2009 | 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know sometimes we get hung up on M6 cars (I owned one), and they are a lot of fun to drive, until you hit stop and go traffic and on stop signs on hills=annoying pita. But, If you want a street/strip car that'll haul ***, go get yourself the auto. Once stalled you will leave everyone in the dust (especially from a dig) and it elimates the advantage that M6 cars have from a roll too! I bought my newest fbody last year (the Hawk) and went with the auto, and quite simply, I don't regret it a bit. People don't realize that stock for stock they are similar speeds in et and close in traps (little lower trap with A4-but similar et), and that's IF the M6 driver can drive. The A4 is great around town and you can manually go 123 and D with them it you want ( I can provide supporting evidence of that if needed). The A4 won't break your rear so quick but if you stall it with a high stall torque converter, you WILL need to add a tranny cooler (cheap and easy) and/or down the road get a built tranny. I'm just giving you the other side of the coin. Us A4 enthusiasts swear by them, and like I said I have owned both. If someone says "awww, it's not manual", just take 'em for a ride in your auto (or stalled auto ) and scare the **** outta them. They'll soon realize that things aren't what they used to be. Just saying, in this day and age, don't be afraid of an auto Ls1 car. Stalled auto, +V8 LS1 and rear wheel drive with stickies and gears out back (better yet full bolt on) = MAJOR *** kicker. You'll redden a LOT of M6 driver's faces I promise. Anyways, good luck in your search and I'm sure you'll be happy either way. Just please don't just buy one to do a swap, not worth it imo. I love the birds too the best. Agreed! Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by oddwraith; 07-08-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2009 | 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Trans Ams in NJ/NY were overpriced when I bought mine. Thats why I went to Connecticut. That car looks pretty good. Don't be worried if the door panel is cracked vertically toward the back, about 5 inches from the end of the door. It happens on most TAs and is NOT evidence of an accident.

I can be in Montvale in half an hour for cookies.

Last edited by Pseudonym; 07-07-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-08-2009 | 10:16 AM

i live in so cal, work in LA live in OC, i have never been bothered by having my m6, and as far as these cars being far and few between, i never noticed how rare an ls1 camaro is, i got my 02 z28 in dec and i have only seen a few around, even in LA/OC they are pretty rare.