General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How did you pick between canyon carver and strait line?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 06:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFVNDrC_L78
Old 12-21-2009, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spoonraker
Also I believe it's a bit cheaper to get into drag racing then it is road racing. If all you're doing is autocross then it's cheap, just pay $20-$30 per event, but if you want to race on a real road course usually you have to have a special license and training which cost quite a decent chunk of change. Plus, right off the bat road racing cars have faster wearing parts. You'll be buying tires and brakes, and not cheap ones, pretty regularly.
There are many levels of "road racing" and a lot of the comments here seem to be focussing on hard core road racing competition. Lots of car clubs and commercial companies have high performance driving events (HPDE) at tracks throughout the country that you can participate in pretty easily and cheaply. Most clubs that hold HPDEs have a beginner class and will give instruction on driving techniques as well as how to get around that particular track. The car needs to be "teched" but you're basically talking about ordinary safety items - good brakes, good tires, no leaks, seat belts, etc. Here's a link to one club's tech checklist - it's really pretty basic safety stuff: http://www.ncracing.org/docs/tech.pdf

I did my first such event just two months ago and had a blast. I think it cost around $100 for what turned out to be five 20 minute track sessions, so over an hour and a half of track time. In my case, I drove 120 miles to the track (and back home) and the only change I made for the actual track time was to bump up my front and rear tire pressures. I quickly realized that fast street driving is nothing like driving on a race track; and the key to driving fast on a race track (at least for me) was braking. I simply don't use the brakes nearly as much on the street as I needed to on the track.

I drag raced years ago and liked it, but realized that it didn't have any applicablity to every day driving. Then I discovered curves and got into sports cars and canyon carving on sport motorcycles. What I particularly like about track days, even with years and years of canyon carving experience, is that I became a better and more aware driver, better able to control my car based simply on one day of 90% (of all out) driving. I plan to keep attending HPDEs and can't think of any car activity that's nearly as much fun.

As far as the OP goes, you started out sounding as if you wanted to be talked out of building a drag car, and now sound more open to canyon carving. Before you jump one way or the other, I'd suggest you find a HPDE that you can attend, try it and then make up your mind. Trying to solve how to get through a particularly nasty set of turns by doing it again and again during a 20 minute track session can get addictive quickly, and the rush when you nail it is incredible. There's a reason they compare road racing to a crack pipe.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive done the straight line many times while it was fun doing it, the race was soo short of excitement. Now that low 12s w/ just bolt ons is under my belt, my next goal is to do some auto x / RR. I'm just a few hours to Nurburgring so I'll be hitting that up and see how fast is my car w/ DMS springs, 18sx 9.5" and 10.5", BMR tower, strano bars, konis, UMI rear susp, bolt ons and HPTuned.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bene
Ive done the straight line many times while it was fun doing it, the race was soo short of excitement. Now that low 12s w/ just bolt ons is under my belt, my next goal is to do some auto x / RR. I'm just a few hours to Nurburgring so I'll be hitting that up and see how fast is my car w/ DMS springs, 18sx 9.5" and 10.5", BMR tower, strano bars, konis, UMI rear susp, bolt ons and HPTuned.
Well since one of my life goals is to race on the nurburgring and i myself am only a few hours away from it. Let me know when you go and we could possibly meet up.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 6.0 GTO
Well since one of my life goals is to race on the nurburgring and i myself am only a few hours away from it. Let me know when you go and we could possibly meet up.
Sweet! Sounds like a plan.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Junkie

a great handling car is more fun on the street than a drag car.

not to mention safer.

simple as that.

and there are more curves that you can negotiate with excitment without breaking the law (too bad anyway) than there are places to run a mock-1/4 mi safely.

running a curvy road at 10-20+ the speed limit, or making a turn at a light quickly (assuming you don't fishtail) is MUCH less likely to get you in trouble than launching at a stop light. heck even just coming out of the hole gently and reving up to 6000rpm can get you in trouble...or powershifting and chirping the tires.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great comments guys. Also, I love top gear. Best show ever! I'd say that
i am enjoying my car with Koni's on it, even with stock springs. Something tells me that I just wouldnt really love a car devoted to drag racing, as my mods that suite a corner-car have made it more enjoyable in everyday driving. I'd love to try a HPDE one day. I've got a friend that used to run a shop at VIR and he was an incredible driver.

I can't say for sure that "this settles it," but I am more willing to entertain the canyon carver idea now. I believe I have a new engine/power build that I'd like to build toward: Fully functioning L92 with VVT, a cam, and a good flowing intake, exhaust, etc.... and then call it quits on the power end. I'll have a turbo-diesel torque curve, still have an aluminum block, great HP, and a setup that even my wife wouldn't mind driving.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will be building my car for road racing.

Im excited to put as many miles on my car as i can.

So im excited to drive around the country and race all the big courses. VIR, laguna seca...

All 1/4 mile tracks are the same.... boring...

10.01 10.00 10.01 10.01 10.02 9.99.... basically running the same times over and over... who cares.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

canyon carver will be more driveable

Quick Reply: How did you pick between canyon carver and strait line?