General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How long.. ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long.. ?

should it take a shop that installs Slp products to install new headers, cat's and y pipe. less than a day right? i know cat backs dont take long, is it the same for the rest of the exhaust?
Old 07-07-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

It should take about a day. I dropped mine off in the morning and picked it up that afternoon.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Im a mechanic and I did my American Racing Headers and Y pipe just five days ago and it took me about 2 hours. Thats with torquing all of the bolts to spec in two passes. It took me about 15 Minutes to do my Loudmouth Catback. I would say that same day service should be expected. The only real PITA was the egr tube connection on my 2k The lower bolt on the stock manifolds is tricky to get to and my bolt was really tight.

Mike
Old 07-08-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

why not be a man and do it yourself?
Old 07-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 406malibu
why not be a man and do it yourself?
I would laugh if it wasn't a man lol. Soemtimes people don't think they have what it takes to do **** like this.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ls1N20
I would laugh if it wasn't a man lol. Soemtimes people don't think they have what it takes to do **** like this.
it really isn't that hard. all you need are a few basic tools, patience, and a few beers.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Launching!

it really isn't that hard. all you need are a few basic tools, patience, and a few beers.
Few beers? I heard as much as a 18 pack lol.Always heard SLP are rediculous installing.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:26 AM

we installed my friends exhaust on his sierra, completely car uneducated as far as any of us that installed it, didnt take long, i think i know about headers and y pipe, i say if you have a few jacks stands laying around, no welding is nescesary you should try handling it yourself, you will also feel more accomplished and better about your skills.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ls1N20
Few beers? I heard as much as a 18 pack lol.Always heard SLP are rediculous installing.
not so much that slp is harder than any other header, it just has terrible clearance issues when they are on... but nothing wrong with having 18 beers

Originally Posted by jimmyhocker
we installed my friends exhaust on his sierra, completely car uneducated as far as any of us that installed it, didnt take long, i think i know about headers and y pipe, i say if you have a few jacks stands laying around, no welding is nescesary you should try handling it yourself, you will also feel more accomplished and better about your skills.
While I agree with moth of what you are saying, I'd put money on the fact that it is day and night as far as easiness when installing headers on a sierra and on an f-body... You are severely limited on space in an f-body, its not overly difficult, it just takes a good bit of time if you haven't done it before.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It took me longer to get the stock manifolds off than put the new ones on. The best advice I can give on taking the stockers off is to get an impact wrench and a longish extension and just wail on the bolts holding the y-pipe to the manifold until they snap (shouldn't take mush, I broke 4 of the 6 with a 3/8" ratchet...). Don't mess with soaking them with liquid wrench and all that mess, you don't need them to come off nice and pretty.

You will need 2 people though, there's not enough room to hold the header with one hand and start threading bolts with another.

My buck o' five.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

not so much that slp is harder than any other header, it just has terrible clearance issues when they are on... but nothing wrong with having 18 beers

While I agree with moth of what you are saying, I'd put money on the fact that it is day and night as far as easiness when installing headers on a sierra and on an f-body... You are severely limited on space in an f-body, its not overly difficult, it just takes a good bit of time if you haven't done it before.
SLP new design headers dont have the same clearence issues as the old style tuned length slp headers.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ I had heard that, but still think they are over priced (as is any slp product besides the lid)