General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Odd question involving my cutout..

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Odd question involving my cutout..

So, mods in sig, with cutout closed (going to silent stock catback) I can spin from 1st to 3rd, and chirp 4th if I try. Open, it seems to hook MUCH better and doesn't spin that bad at all. Is it just because the lowend torque is there with it closed compared to open? Or am I actually loosing power with it open. I have always thought open is good for racing since it moves the power UP in the powerband more, which therefore causes it to spin less and have more power. But I would like someone to verify that for me. Thanks
Old 07-08-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are making more power with it open. I've also noticed that the low end torque is a little less with it open, but it pulls much harder up top. one of the guys around me (cam only) dynoed 30 hp more cutout open vs going through his chokemasters.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Launching!

Always heard with a cutout your lowend decreases but top end inscreases.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

Yea im just making sure, It does pull harder up top with it open, but it doesnt spin like at all down low from a roll like it does with it closed
Old 07-08-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

what would be cool is if someone could design one to stay closed up untill around 3k rpm and then flip open almost instantaneously. Some of the corvettes do something similar, but they open on WOT, not at a certain rpm.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's kinda weird. I wouldn't think it would take away enough to make a noticeable difference in tire spin.

When you say it doesn't spin that bad at all, what exactly do you mean? Is it possible it's spinning close to the same amount and just doesn't sound like it because you can't hear the tires barking?
Old 07-08-2009, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jimbo98z
That's kinda weird. I wouldn't think it would take away enough to make a noticeable difference in tire spin.

When you say it doesn't spin that bad at all, what exactly do you mean? Is it possible it's spinning close to the same amount and just doesn't sound like it because you can't hear the tires barking?
Well when both is warmed up it seems they hook better either way. When driving around with the cutout open for example for a good 20minutes, the tires will HOOK pretty decently. If I drive around with the cutout closed for 20minutes, they will spin more then it would with the cutout open for 20minutes. I think the cutout is heating up the tires actually..lol