General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

what do i need to look out for in my search for the right fbody?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, i loved them on my grand prix. gave great traction till they became bald up front lol

they perform great, last forever, and are dirt cheap. its gonna be a nice change. on my truck, i was paying about 200 bucks a tire. forget that.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That car looks good to me.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

Car looks really good but id negotiate on the price... 15k is alittle too high for that year and those miles.. I wouldnt go over 12k for it.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The ad says "one of a kind". Don't buy into this crap. You will find a well maintained black WS6 easily for a reasonable price.

The key is to be patient. If your in a hurry you'll either pay to much or buy something you didn't want.

You can buy a car from any state, but if you get one from a northern state, be VERY careful of underbody rust. It's o.k. to pay a premium for a car that lived it's entire life in the desert. Check the Carfax for history.

Good luck.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Teching In

thanks man

yeah like i said. theres no way he's gonna get 15 from me, or anybody else for that matter.

i'll start low as far as offers go if i do indeed end up buying that one. but that is my next dilemma. my truck isn't selling. and it probably wont, not private party at least. i thought about taking it to carmax, but they dont give you **** for a modded vehicle, so i almost think i need to find a nice clean t/a at a dealership, if i like it, trade the truck in there. because the value on my truck is still pretty high...

so we'll see. i think im gonna go look around at the dealerships today.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Teching In

so theres another firebird here that im lookin at, its an 01 formula in the same color as the ws6 i posted. whats the deal with the formulas? do they offer anything more? or less? i know they dont have the body cladding or bumpers or spoiler that the normal trans ams have. idk, they look so bland. but im not gonna be picky considering there aren't many ls1 fbodys around town for sale..
Old 07-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Teching In

nevermind, they appear to be the same car, just the ws6 is a bit flashier and weighs more because of this am i correct?
Old 07-17-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ You are correct.

Advantages of Formula: Lighter weight and and more exclusive than Trans Am.

Yet still with all the good hardware.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Gotcha. Well if I drove one I'm sure I could easily get over the bland looks lol

the one I'm looking at is lowered. On Boyd coddington wheels. But it's an a4. So idk! And it's at one of those lttle **** dealers lol
Old 07-17-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tys 4x4
thanks

and i know which tires i want to go with
bfg t/a gforce kdws

could get them for about 100 bucks a tire for my 18" wheels on the grand prix. i imagine they'd be a bit cheaper for the wheels on the trans am.
Originally Posted by schmidtycamaro
Those are good tires. However just be wary of them being summer only. But then again..you live in Vegas so its always summer
Isn't the KDWS the all season? I remember blowing those things off all the time under stock power. Granted they were 245's but they didn't hold at all...

Now, if that was supposed to be KDW's, then it's a different story
Old 07-18-2009, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

so theres another firebird here that im lookin at, its an 01 formula in the same color as the ws6 i posted. whats the deal with the formulas? do they offer anything more? or less? i know they dont have the body cladding or bumpers or spoiler that the normal trans ams have. idk, they look so bland. but im not gonna be picky considering there aren't many ls1 fbodys around town for sale..
Like someone else said, Formulas are lighter, more exclusive because not as many were made. I would get the WS6 just because it looks soo much better.

Originally Posted by eseibel67
The ad says "one of a kind". Don't buy into this crap. You will find a well maintained black WS6 easily for a reasonable price.

The key is to be patient. If your in a hurry you'll either pay to much or buy something you didn't want.

You can buy a car from any state, but if you get one from a northern state, be VERY careful of underbody rust. It's o.k. to pay a premium for a car that lived it's entire life in the desert. Check the Carfax for history.

Good luck.
Be patient & get what you want, dont settle for an A4 Formula if you really know you want an M6 WS6. It may take a lil longer but youll be glad you waited in the end. I was looking last year, I looked for about 2 months before I found mine. That car maybe priced a lil high for the miles, but everyone selling TAs know they wont be making them anymore so thats a factor, especially if its a clean well taken care of 1 owner car.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:40 AM
Teching In

yeah i hear ya

well i won't be able to do anything on the ws6 i'm looking at. the guy is out of town till the 28th, so that gives me time to somehow get rid of my truck, and maybe my gtp.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I paid 12k for mine and it had just about 100k miles, but it was immaculate... I know I probably got taken in most ppl's eyes, but it was the ONLY WS6 in the area for sale and I had to have it.... a TRUE WS.6

You do whatever makes you happy and whatever you are comfortable with paying... pay. End of story.

These are extremely fun cars to drive, even stock!

You won't regret it.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:35 AM
Teching In

yeah i've ridden in one, and fell in love. i mean, i've wanted an fbody since i was a lil tyke, but after riding in one a few weeks ago, well that sealed the deal. i always planned on getting one, just not this soon.
but now that i dont live in reno anymore, i have no need for a 4x4 so might as well get another car.

and yeah, the ws6 im looking at is like 1 of maybe 3 that are here. one guy is asking 35k for his. the other is white, and also for sale for 15k. meh. never been a fan of white.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Colors can always be changed down the road my friend...
Old 07-18-2009, 02:14 AM
Teching In

thats true

but the chances of a repaint on a car being anywhere near the top of my priority list are very slim lol

i could live with white, and make it look very good, but its a last resort
Old 07-18-2009, 04:03 AM
Teching In

this is the formy i was talkin about

sexy car...

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ctd/1269596542.html
Old 07-18-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
Colors can always be changed down the road my friend...
Changing the color of your car isn't as easy as changing the color of your hair.

Personally, I don't think paint color is as important as the car's condition. But my advice is - if you want one that's a specific color...

Find one.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

this is the formy i was talkin about

sexy car...

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ctd/1269596542.html
Seems reasonable. Check the Carfax to see where it's from. The only other thing is, I would have it fully checked over by a mechanic that you trust. Modified cars can have demons that aren't apparent on a test drive.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Teching In

oh i'll have my dad with me every step of the way. i may know quite a bit about cars, but his knowledge dwarfs mine. we were looking at an lt1 camaro last week and he looked at a bunch of things i wouldn't have thought of looking at. so hopefully he can help steer me in the right direction