General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

what do i need to look out for in my search for the right fbody?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 02:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do i need to look out for in my search for the right fbody?

looking to buy an fbody. just wondering what i need to look out for. what do i need to be weary of, etc etc

any parts that usually go at a certain milage? any weak points on these cars that i need to be careful of?

thanks in advance!
Old 07-14-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 505 Likes on 365 Posts

Just tons of information posted over the years. As with any car, always look for documented maintenance and non-abuse. Many nice ones are still out there but numerous abused ones. Don't buy a 'money pit'. Be smart and don't be afraid to travel to get your car. It is well worth it.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watch for the bubbling roof panel.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Launching!

I read someone on here mention about the seat flexing to the right if they hammered the gas a lot, which I would have never thought about...however, after watching my mother attempt to get out of my car I'm not sure this is accurate.

Check under the nose to see if it's bottomed out, minor thing but if it matters to you check it.

Make sure to check speakers (and all electrical components for that matter). Monsoon speakers aren't reliable from my experience.

Tons more that I don't know or can't think of to list right now...just be thorough in your inspection before buying.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Watch for the bubbling roof panel.
x2 on this 1. I didnt look out for this and its just starting
Old 07-14-2009, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

The 4L60E 4spd auto and the 10 bolt rear end are VERY hit or miss. Some blow the first time down the track on a stock car, some are fine on 400hp + cars.

As far as the bubbling roof paint. Who knows. Mine didn't have it at ALL when I bought it. And it just started about 2 weeks ago. FFFFUUUUU

As with any car, don't buy it if it leaks any kind of fluid. I don't care if its your dream car, don't buy it.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:44 AM
Teching In

i hear ya on that, and where exactly on the roof does it start bubbling? is it as easy as sanding some, and repainting that area (if i can get it to match) lol

and thanks for the input guys, i'll keep all that in mind. HOPING for a 6spd, so we'll see
Old 07-15-2009, 05:43 AM
Teching In

Of course car fax it as their pretty good about getting any major wrecks or damage. Have someone pull the stored codes as if they are selling because it's screwed, chances are they didn't drive enough to clear the codes. If it's from a private seller, get it on a rack and check for hand prints under the carriage like around the drive shaft or near the fire wall and if some are there find out what work they did.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:18 AM
Teching In

awesome

thanks for the input

pretty soon, it'll be time to start researching my first mods
Old 07-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Teching In

so here's one i've had my eyes on. in my eyes, its the perfect car. i STILL need to see it in person, but if the guy is telling the truth, then this is one fine car... basically it has all the options i want, the color i want, but the price is high. 15k. yeah right. but he said he'd accept reasonable cash offers. so we'll see...

and the window sticker for it

FROM THE CRAIGSLIST AD
You Must See this beautiful 2000 Pontiac Trans Am with WS6 Ram Air Package.
Rare, One-of-a-Kind Muscle Car, T-Top with Rear Spoiler. Southwest Car - Never Seen Snow.
Always Garaged, No Accidents, None Smoker, Interior Like New.
Must sell due to owner's physical limitations.
Original Owner Special Order Vehicle with Optional:
6-Speed Transmission
Hurst Shifter
Traction Control.
79,000 Miles,
Maintained in Excellent Condition:
Used Only Mobil 1 Oil Changed Every 3,000 Miles.
New Centerforce Fly Wheel, Clutch, and Pressure Plate;
New Throw Out & Pilot Bearings;
New Bilstein Springs & Shock Absorbers;
New Brake Pads & Brembo Rotors;
Goodrich T/A, Z Rated, Performance Radial Tires.

Maintenance Records Available.

A Steal at $15,000 <--lol

Comes With Personal Touch Extras From a Loving Owner:
Original Window Sticker
2000 Pontiac Firebird Boxed Promotion Package.
Includes Color Brochure and VHS Promotional Video.

just wow. if the bank likes what it sees, i can make him an offer. sell my truck to carmax hopefully, and i should be good to go...
Old 07-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Just make him an offer...worst he will do is come back in a few months when he realizes it won't sell for that

And for the ws6, be sure to check the rpo codes in door to ensure it's real and not a replica.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Teching In

welll if all is true, what do you think that car should be worth? what would be a "reasonable" offer lol

11-12?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would offer them around $11,000 just to start off. Remember to Car Fax. Check the tread on the tires too. My tires were brand new. But I have a friend that bought a car with pretty bald tires, the dealership said, "yeah, all it needs is some new tires soon. Oh yeah? 4 tire's for a WS.6 are nearly a grand!
Last year I bought my 2000 WS.6 with 75,000 miles for $12,500 from a dealership. I probably could have gotten a better priced f-body but I wanted a WS.6, it had to be a six speed, and it had to have under 80,000 miles. Getting all three things was nearly impossible! Finally found my current car and drove 200 miles to redding, CA to get it and then 200 miles back home.

Funny story. My dream was to get a WS.6 and then put in one of those stereo decks that have the t.v that pop out so you can watch movies or show off... I even had one picked out, was gonna be around $2,000 for the stereo I wanted though Well, when I bought my current WS.6 I was argueing the $12,800 price (already got them down from $14,000), because the stereo face plate was missing in the car! I'm like, "Dude, you want me to pay $12,800 for a car with no stereo face? I have a 200 mile drive back!"

They said they got it at auction because it was a repo and it didn't come with a face plate. The dealer guy goes. "Ok, because it basically doesn't have a stereo we will knock off $300 and sell it for $12,500.

I was like, fine, I'll just buy a face plate for it, but thats bull you won't lower the price even more. So I get home, pull out the stereo and type in the model number on the internet and low and behold its a stereo that has the pop out screen! I go on Crutchfield.com and they are selling it for like $1900! So I order the face plate for $100 and now I have a bad *** stereo in my car, lol. How in the world did the guys at the stealership miss that? Thank God they did or they would have been argueing me for $14,000 saying it has a $2,000 stereo in it, lol

Last edited by TheBlueKnight; 07-16-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Teching In

haha nice!! yeah this car looks to be all stock as far as stereo and stuff goes. i will be taking all my components out of my truck to put in the fbody i get. have a shallow mount sub that should fit in somewhere nicely lol

it says it has the monsoon 10 spkr system. how the hell are there 10 speakers in that car?! lol
im assuming some 6x9's or whatever its got in it. then tweeters as well? how is the sound quality with those?

because its gonna suck having to replace 10 speakers with aftermarket stuff lol
Old 07-16-2009, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

$9k. He's crazy to want $15k. If the car had like..5k miles on it then sure. But it has around 80k.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Teching In

yeah exactly. and i think he knows he won't get that too. in his words, he's not hurting to sell it, so if it doesnt go quickly, oh well. which kind of sucks. hopefully he'll go low enough for me. if everything does check out and its in great condition i am willing to pay a bit more to get the EXACT car i want. which is what this is. i will have this car for a long long time, and maybe never get rid of it.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the stock system sounds fine. Gets a little raspy if you turn it up loud though.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 505 Likes on 365 Posts

I agree with many here that $12,000 should be top $$$ for that mileage. He mentions the type of tires he has but not how much tread??? If you need new tires within the year, don't forget to add an instant $500-$800 (depends on quality) for a set of tires. If he had half the 79k miles on his car then he might get his $15k but that's not the situation. Good luck in your negotiations.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Teching In

thanks

and i know which tires i want to go with
bfg t/a gforce kdws

could get them for about 100 bucks a tire for my 18" wheels on the grand prix. i imagine they'd be a bit cheaper for the wheels on the trans am.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Those are good tires. However just be wary of them being summer only. But then again..you live in Vegas so its always summer