General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Wheel Bearing & Axle Shaft Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 03:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wheel Bearing & Axle Shaft Help

Well I had a slight noise coming from the back end when I made right hand turns. I tore it all apart and found not too much.

I have changed the seal before on the driver side, and noticed it was leaking again, so I figured at least I can change the seal again... Anyways, its all apart and below is a picture of the driver side axle shaft. Very small "pits" in it, and not really and scoring or anything like that.
Are these small marks caused by a bad bearing? Also what does everybody think about the axle itself, is it in need of a new replacement? If I was looking at it compared to some I see bad ones online, it isn't really bad in comparison.

Let me know what you think, I have new Napa bearings installed, which is the best I could find, and GM Seals. Just not sure if I should use this axle shaft or not..... I have heard not good things about the Timken bearings for messed up axle shafts, and to be honest that just seems like a simple fix for a bigger problem, I don't want to do that. Thanks for the advice and help.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:13 AM
Teching In

I had the same problem a few months back after I replaced my carrier bearings. Axle looked just like yours. I put a repair bearing moves the location of the bearing so it rides on a different part of the axle. I got the repair bearing from advance auto for like $25 don't remember the brand. I would replace all bearings at one time though (both axles and the carrier). Haven't had a problem so far I drive 1000 miles a week to work too!, and its QUIET once again.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just put in new napa bearings and gm seals.

First off, what would happen if I put this axle back in? Is it really that bad to cause a problem? The little pits in it aren't even deep.

Second, If I don't use this axle or decide to remedy this problem, I am just going to get another axle, I've heard bad things about the repair bearings, you are the first positive.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am thinking of buying this to replace it.... What does everyone think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 07-20-2009, 12:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I would replace that axle.not only is it weakened right now but it will also just eat up your new bearing
Old 07-20-2009, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aerojt
I am thinking of buying this to replace it.... What does everyone think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Go for it.cant go wrong with a new OEM part for that price.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats what I was thinking, I don't want to have to do this again....
Old 07-21-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ordered the new axle shaft, hopefully it will drop right in and everything will quiet down. Anybody else have pics of their messed up axle shafts? I have seen a few others online, just curious as to any other experiences while I'm waiting on UPS...

Here's one I found online-
Old 07-21-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Calvertcm2003
I had the same problem a few months back after I replaced my carrier bearings. Axle looked just like yours. I put a repair bearing moves the location of the bearing so it rides on a different part of the axle. I got the repair bearing from advance auto for like $25 don't remember the brand. I would replace all bearings at one time though (both axles and the carrier). Haven't had a problem so far I drive 1000 miles a week to work too!, and its QUIET once again.
That repair bearing will not work with traction control equipped cars. Im going through the same thing right now and that bearing will not let you push the axle in far enough to get the c clips back in. Its due to that abs ring right next to the hub. My suggestion is to get new axles and standard bearings. Thats what im doing.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah thats what I was thinking. The repair bearing doesn't seem ideal for long term either... New axle is just a few miles away, setup for a morning UPS delivery.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That happens all the time you are not the first person to have this problem. I strongly belive that the axles start to pit due to a lack of or missing rear end fluid. That can be caused be a few things. The leaking axle seals that you are mentioned in your first post most likely caused that to happen. I did a 00 SS that had a pinon seal that was leaking, the pic that you posted farther down the page looked almost identical. He went Moser axles they were about the same price as shipping and buying the new GM OEM axles. Personally I would go with the GM bearing kit and GM seals.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's good to know about the low fluid.... Hopefully this seal ends up holding up..
Old 07-22-2009, 04:19 AM
Teching In

That's wierd my car has trac control and everything went smooth guess it all depends on who installs it?? So far as the long term we'll see like I said I drive a 1000 miles a week to work. But think you went the best route with new axle. Guess if I have anymore problems hello 12 bolt or new axles
Old 07-22-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Job is done-

New bearings from Napa - $20 each, made in America, they also offer an $8 made in China

New Seals From GM - $15 each

One New GM OEM Axle Shaft to replace the pitted one (See above) - $155 on ebay

New Felpro Diff Gasket - Like $5

Plain old new fluid

After reassembly, the noise on right hand turns is gone and everything works nicely. I also put on new LCA's & Panhard Rod. I haven't pushed anything too hard yet, but the suspension feels tighter already. Everything is done in time for the cross country road trip, wish me luck!

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing & Axle Shaft Help