General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Heads Gotta Come Off

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Heads Gotta Come Off

Well my obverflow started spewing water tonight and after I removed the cap I noticed bubbles coming up from the rad. So Im going with my head gaskets are shot. Ive never done an alum motor before so theres a few questions I have. Should I mill the heads in case they got warped? (car didnt overheat to my knowledge). Are the rocker arm bolts torque to yield? I know the 16 main head bolts are which I have on order already but are the other bolts in the head reusable? Any good place you all recommend to find a complete gasket set?
Old 07-20-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

slp head gasket kit is good, thats what i have in my car.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

victor reinz makes OEM gaskets that are actually priced descently... bout 30$ for both..

or u can get cometics for 80$ a piece
Old 07-20-2009, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The other bolts are reusable. Head gaskets should be all you need. The other gaskets can be reused.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for links although I'm kinda having second thoughts on weather the prob is the gaskets. It all started last night car was running fine norm temp and all. I got home and noticed coolant comin from the overflow. After letting the car cool I noticed it had some bubbles in the rad as it was running. Today i pressure tested my cap and found that it was bad after putting a new in the overflow prob has stopped. However I still seem to have some bubbling in the rad. The car runs cool and doesnt miss. Theres no water in the oil, and the dexcool is brown anyway so small brown bubbles dont say much and one more question a couple of my friends have water wetter or regular prestone in their ls1's it doesnt bubble. My question is does dexcool with a high water concentration have a tendency to bubble up a little more?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find a shop that will run a chemical test to see if exhaust is leaking into the coolant. NAPA sells the kit but it is cheaper to have a shop run the test for you for a one time use....
Old 07-21-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Veteran

I think I solved my issue i went and ran the car again and saw a oily film on the coolant. I'm taking the car to college in a month so I cant hve it breaking down up there. So i bit the bullet and ordered a new gasket set along with new lifter mine were ticking pretty bad. So Im waiting on those. But anyway does anyone know how to remove the air system on the engine? Theres a small line that plugs into the back of the intake then another t goes into a small valve near the fuel rail and the other end of that valve appears to go to the three way connector in the air lines. What happens to this valve and the t line coming off the intake do they just get plugged?