General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Lid fitment sucks because of... the bellow?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lid fitment sucks because of... the bellow?

That's what I would guess.

With the Whisper lid on (yes correctly lined up, middle lip behind, outside lips in front) the back half does not sit right.

What seems to be happening here is my stock bellow is only compressing so much and is causing the back clips to be pushed up.
Still secured under the tabs, but raised and it's sucking air in.
I put a cigarette to the back of the lid and when I open the throttle it sucks the smoke in from the rear.

Wondering what to do here.

Thought about making a fernco bellow, however I don't want to run the risk of cracking the lid like some have done.

Any thoughts?
And if I have not thoroughly explained it, please tell me.
Thanks.
-Matt
Old 07-17-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Same exact thing my lid did. Big huge gap in the back sucking in air. I lit a cigar and sure enough all the smoke got sucked in from the back. I tried keeping all connections loose, then trying to get the lid to fit right before tightening everything but it didn't work. I have an SLP smooth bellow.

So I went to homedepot and bought weather stripping and lined the inside of my SLP lid with it and it fixed it! Weather stripping fills the gaps around the sides and the entire back gap, no more smoke gets sucked in

Last edited by TheBlueKnight; 07-17-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good idea with the weatherstripping... But I paid 100bucks for a new clear lid, I'm pissed mine does the same thing. Why is this happening????
Old 07-17-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LuckySpencer007
Good idea with the weatherstripping... But I paid 100bucks for a new clear lid, I'm pissed mine does the same thing. Why is this happening????
Try making a gasket using fish tank sealent. It's a clear silicone product and works fine and doesn't look bad with a clear lid. I only had to do the rear part.

A lot of lids do this. Most people don't even notice.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Same exact thing my lid did. Big huge gap in the back sucking in air. I lit a cigar and sure enough all the smoke got sucked in from the back. I tried keeping all connections loose, then trying to get the lid to fit right before tightening everything but it didn't work. I have an SLP smooth bellow.

So I went to homedepot and bought weather stripping and lined the inside of my SLP lid with it and it fixed it! Weather stripping fills the gaps around the sides and the entire back gap, no more smoke gets sucked in

******* awesome.
Dude, thank you so much.
I'll be off to buy some soon hahaha.
-Matt
Old 07-17-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats what I had to do because my SLP lid doesn't fit good. Just have to watch out and not get too thick of weather stripping, otherwise when you put the lid on, the stripping could roll and not seal perfectly. The thing I noticed is that the lid fit perfect when I first got it, but I think with all the heat from the engine, and the heating, cooling, heating constantly, makes the plastic lid warp and not fit good anymore. Need a better plastic that isn't so heat sensitive.

mark jr.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
******* awesome.
Dude, thank you so much.
I'll be off to buy some soon hahaha.
-Matt
No more sucking in boiling hot air from the engine
Old 07-22-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I added weatherstripping to my SLP lid. I have no evidence to say it was leaking, but a little insurance can't hurt.

Good to see you've found a way to use a cigarette as a positive thing. Otherwise those ******* need to be trashed. >=-)
Old 07-22-2009, 03:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I added weatherstripping to my SLP lid. I have no evidence to say it was leaking, but a little insurance can't hurt.

Good to see you've found a way to use a cigarette as a positive thing. Otherwise those ******* need to be trashed. >=-)
NA! They're good for ya. Only the bad asses smoke