General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Going from a LS1 to rice......Oops

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Going from a LS1 to rice......Oops

First off, FWD sucks.

Well just to sum it up, I sold my SS last November with the intentions of getting into a C6 or Beemer this past Spring. Also, I would have been getting rid of my truck too, an 07 Tacoma. Well, truck grew on me as I begin saving money. Thought about keeping it, but just using it to commute 85 miles daily was pretty boring. Fast forward, I have put 32,000 miles on it in 8 months, totaling 58,000 now. So obviously Im thinking I need to get a DD since I drive so much, depreciation, and mpg. Just a smart buy I guess.

So I bought a 2002 Civic this week so I can daily drive and planned on getting rid of truck to get back in nice fast car for weekend, whether it be a C6 or M car. Well, OMFG! I just can't take it no more. Its slow, obviously. Just kills me though going from a 550+ HP car to this 126 HP. Now it was my intent to just daily it, but I'm lost for words. I don't care about mpg's and car depreciation. I can barely live with this thing.

Im going to give it the rest of the week, but I'm not feeling it. Only good thing is I bought it for a great price and is a clean car. So it may go bye bye soon the way its going. My truck is no LS1 either, but it sure feels like it after driving this. What did I expect, reliable 40mpg and thats about it. And trust me thats all it is.

Anyone experience something similiar? Feel free to comment as Im going to cut my ***** off, I don't need them right now.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep driving it for a while and don't touch your SS, then when you get back in your Camaro it will be like losing your virginity again.

I fixed the transmission leak in my T/A today and it was the first time I have driven it in a month, damn near got away from me. Just amazing how much power that car has over a crappy V6 camaro, and that is about half the HP gap you have with your cars. The t/a is probably about 300hp+ and the camaro is probably about 100hp. Runs great, but it is just worn down. Has bad sensors and stuff.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Ahhh that old saying comes to mind.......

Cheap, Fast, Reliable<<<<-------pick any 2.

I DD a 90 hp hyundai. Who cares?? I say keep it and buy you another fast car and let the DD get the miles and depreciation.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Keep driving it for a while and don't touch your SS, .
The SS has been sold, but it was what I drove 90% of the time. When I did have it, I would use the Tacoma now and then.

The thing is I will get back into an LSX or other nice car soon. Just feels so awkward being powerless. As mentioned its just a daily driver, and Im trying to live with it for that purpose only, its hard. Truck has been awesome. I just don't use for truck purposes as I thought I would. Only been fishing 5 times since I've had it almost 2 years now.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Put a fart can and a wing on it, that will net you 50 HP. Oh yeah, and stickers, each is worth 5HP
Old 07-22-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry, I missed that.

I drove my T/A for two or three days and aside from the heat it was great. I kinda got carried away at a few stoplights, surprised I didn't get pulled over. Made my camaro feel like a smart car.

What's keeping you from the vette? There are good deals out right now. Plus used ones are in the high 20's now.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Ahhh that old saying comes to mind.......

Cheap, Fast, Reliable<<<<-------pick any 2.

I DD a 90 hp hyundai. Who cares?? I say keep it and buy you another fast car and let the DD get the miles and depreciation.
Thanks, I will give it an honest try.

Sparky, its the funniest **** when I see these ricers now. I can't grasp the fact that someone would call this "fast". I should slap every MF'er I see put an exhaust on these cars. Seriously though, come drive this thing. Your car will feel like a Le Mans prepped race car when you get back in it.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's nice driving a beater.

There's something very liberating about driving a car that deserves no respect.

You don't have to love it, just use it.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by eseibel67
It's nice driving a beater.

There's something very liberating about driving a car that deserves no respect.

You don't have to love it, just use it.
Damn right!!!! My beater pos s-10 4x4 smokes, sputters, fouls out plugs, you need a tetanus shot looking at it, doors don't shut unless you lock them, but the mother f*cker refuses to die and will get me there. All I need is it to run and the stereo to keep workin and that's all I need.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Doomsday
Sparky, its the funniest **** when I see these ricers now. I can't grasp the fact that someone would call this "fast". I should slap every MF'er I see put an exhaust on these cars. Seriously though, come drive this thing. Your car will feel like a Le Mans prepped race car when you get back in it.
Friend of mine had a riced-out mid-90s civic. He thought it was fast and always talked about it... then he had the infamous timing belt snap and internal engine destruction ensued. He replaced it with a late-80s S10 with the 4.3 and stick that he got for a couple hundred bucks. Later he wandered up to me and said, "Umm, yeah, remember the civic I thought was fast? Well, I could have easily outrun it in this truck...."

He's no ricer anymore, he learned
Old 07-22-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

i experience it, i have a toyota matrix a4 as a daily driver... My god i hate it! MPG isnt great and its a total slug that struggles to go above 105 and 0-60 in 10 secs...

I have to drive it to keep the miles off my trans am...
Old 07-22-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin

What's keeping you from the vette? There are good deals out right now. Plus used ones are in the high 20's now.
I wanted to have a good down payment and have no debt other then my student loans. I paid down my debt and sold my bike too. That was about 14k of debt that I paid off after selling car, car was paid for. Been saving as mentioned, but after awhile truck grew on me and I enjoyed it. Thing is I have always had a the go fast bug, but truck seemed more practical to keep then sell for a "toy" if that makes sense. So I have stuck with it til now, but often get itch for going fast. So this is when I realized I should get a daily driver since I don't want to rack up miles on what I have or get. Now that I realize how much a "daily driver" car sucks, at least for me, I gotta see whats best for my driving situation. Yes, time is near to get a Vette thats why I got this Civic. Driving it as an everyday vehicle may not work for me. So, now I may have to revise my plan.

The truck doesn't bother me. It has its perks: sitting high, makes me feel safe, What speed bump?, traffic accident on freeway I make my own exit and detour. This Civic has no driving pleasure. It can only save me money. Fact of the matter is, that it feels so hopeless in this car after you driven a beast of a car.

If I get a vette, its gonna get driven. I enjoy driving, but within no time Im gonna rack up miles on it since I know this beater thing will be a thing of the past. Yeah, Im going to lose money when I buy a car. I was just trying to lessen the severity of it.

So, I'm having trouble adjusting, I don't know if it is smart to take a financial hit over my pleasure of driving. I said "no its not", but now I may have changed my mind.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

LOLLL.. I was driving my moms 4 cyl 95 ford ranger the other day for some hauling which im sure doesnt make over 100 hp.. Damn.. NEVER again.. Im so used to getting on the highway with my camaro and just gliding into traffic like its nothing.. I almost side swiped a car while merging into the highway because the truck goes 0-60 in 27 seconds lollll
Old 07-23-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
i experience it, i have a toyota matrix a4 as a daily driver... My god i hate it! MPG isnt great and its a total slug that struggles to go above 105 and 0-60 in 10 secs...

I have to drive it to keep the miles off my trans am...
Yeh, I'm in the same boat when I get stuck driving the family RAV4. It only gets 23mpg and I'm happy as hell to jump in one of the trucks!
Old 07-23-2009, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

"jesus would it kill you to buy american" - walt
Old 07-23-2009, 01:37 AM
Launching!

ever think bout modding a truck??? you could buy a newer chevy or dodge and throw some mods at it like you would the ss and then you would have the perks of a truck and close to the same speed as a car? after i bought my ss a couple years ago i needed a winter beater so i bought a 99 gmc jimmy. not a bad vehicle, but certainly wasn't my first pick between the 2. fast forward til last year and i sold the jimmy and bought an 08 dodge ram with a hemi and now its a tough choice as to which set of keys i grab everyday
Old 07-23-2009, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I picked a vehicle somewhere in the middle. I have a 2003 Volkswagen GTI which has a 1.8 liter turbo and get 29 mpg. It gets 12 mpg more than my Camaro and I won't rack up 15-18k miles a year. It's no LS1 with over 400 rwhp but it's better than a Civic.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:30 AM
TECH Addict

I guess i feel your pain as well...

When i wrecked my Z28. I had to drive my sisters Mitsubishi Galant (idk if i even spelled the **** right, who cares lol). Good god that car struggled to get to 80 lol I would floor it and you hear that engine roaring but look at your speedo and your barely moving. I think i opened that engine up, performance wise for the month i had it. Sure felt a bit faster towards the end of the month, compared to the beginning but still a slow piece of ****.

So yeaa, it only took me a month to hop right back into an F-body. Now im considering either trading it in or seeing if i can afford another car but ill be going after a G8 GT. I still need a daily with some power lol
Old 07-23-2009, 05:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is exactly why when I buy a DD in 7 months when I get back from my deployment, it'll be a P71 crown vic. I could give two ***** less about gas mileage, I want a big *** comfortable sedan with 4 doors thats reliable and cheap. And those auction vics go for like 1500$ if you know where to look. Plus I can still make some ricer civic feel ashamed of himself on my way to work
Old 07-23-2009, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va

you guys knock all these tuner cars. and to be perfectly honest for someone to build a "fast" or "quick" car. the civic is the best route. you can pick up a motor and tranny for under 500 bucks. spray the **** out of it or boost it and it will last. my buddy has a bone stock b16 with cams and a GT35r. pushing close to 30 lbs of boost and on a tire he turns low 11s like real low 11s. and he has maybe 2500 in aftermarket parts for the car. and a 02 at that. i would actually love to get one just so i can park my f-bod and start working on it. when you drive something slow for a while it makes you appreciate your fast car atleast i believe it does. i say keep the thing and leave the miles off your truck sounds like she could take a break. and get back into something fast lol