General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

c5 or ls2 gto

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bamalt1
Whatever I get will be a dd most likely. I would most likely sell the Camaro. My bank will still finance pretty much anything I'd buy. I've had 2 4th gen Camaros so I'm wanting something that doesn't rattle over bumps.
Well aren't you being picky .

You just have to drive both and see which one feels better to you. I personally would pick the C5, but everyone has a different opinion of what a suitable dd should be. A base C5 will be cheaper to buy, more reliable, cheaper to insure and get better gas mileage...it seems like an easy call to me.

Last edited by KameleonTransAm; 07-26-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn straight I'm gonna be picky. It's the small things that bother me about fbodys.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
Why is this even a question? It's a ****** VETTE!!
Back in grade school if you didn't want to drive a vette when you grew up you were a nancyboy! Will a GTO improve your chances of being awesome? no! Most people don't even know whats under it's hood.
But the Vette. The Vette is the universal symbol of badassery. You can never go wrong with a vette(C4's the exception).
I'm sure if you got a GTO you'd regret it instantly.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

I kinda like the somewhat sleeper effect of the gtos though, I give em props because they arent flashy. I love corvettes but... it would be fun to have something outside of the f bodies/corvette you know? I have no idea how you will make up your mind! Good luck!
Old 07-26-2009, 12:45 AM
Launching!

In my opinion the VETTE for sure. It'll always be a vette, it'll hold its value much much better than a goat. If your used to the Camaro you'll be just fine with a vette regarding the comfort wise there both equall IMO, though im sure the GTO is better, but if your fine with the camaro's comfort your fine with the Vettes. Think as though you were in high school and were taking a hot girl out on a 1st date, which car do you wanna roll up to her parking lot to pick her up with? The correct answer is the Vette lol And that is the selling point for me.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go 'Vette hands down every time. GTO's are just too heavy and feel too soft when it comes to handling.

They are both pretty close in a straight line, but the Corvette will stop, turn, and get off corners faster.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vette I would choose to, drive both and see which you like more.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:06 AM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I'm different than a lot of you guys, but for the most part, I could car less about the head turner part with my DD. I'll admit that attention like that is fun, but flying under the radar has its advantages, especially in a 400 hp car.

For DD purposes, I'd pick the GTO hands down; for a part time toy, easily the Vette. I have a GTO, so I'm biased. However, my roommate has a C5 FRC, so I've got a few miles in one of those, too. The GTO is much more comfortable, on many levels. The seats are much better, for one. It's also much quieter inside, in terms of road and tire noise, especially. It doesn't have the rattles that the Vette has. This where a lot of that extra weight is. The LS2 has a lot more low end grunt than the LS1. Stock for stock this was immediately noticeable from car to car, even in spite of the extra heft of the GTO. Of course, there is also a back seat in the goat. The trunk is an absolute joke, though.

For the Vette, it's a sports car. Handling is not even close, but it does give up a little ride for it. The ride isn't that bad, even with Z51, but it'll never be confused with a Caddie. MPGs are a little better, more so on the highway. Like any V8, the mileage just won't ever be that great around town. I always get a laugh out of people talking about how great the mileage is on their car, based on how one time they got 30 MPG going downhill with a tailwind. Vette says look at me a whole lot more, too, which is good or bad depending on how you see that. In terms of raw performance off the strip, the C5 is a far better car.

Reliability is pretty close from car to car. The GTO might have a slight leg up based on being newer. Both cars have their issues for sure, though. I do have to say that my roommates' car has been bulletproof for the 80k or so he's put on it up to 115k total, short of a couple of very minor problems. It's actually still on the stock clutch.

If you really want to think outside of the box, maybe consider a CTSv. It's got its own issues, too, but I'd say it's a better DD than the GTO.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've looked at the V and the only one I'd want is the new one. The GTO actually looks nicer on the inside.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Launching!

I'd pick a c5z over the gto, but not a regular c5. Unless it was going to be heavily nodded. Then I'd pick the vette, simply because it's a better platform. For a daily though, gto hands down
Old 07-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Launching!

I'd go Vette for 2 reasons. First, parts are going to be pretty close in price with either one, both being pretty high. Second, since you don't 'need' the back seat, you'll have a huge amount more fun driving a vette. Oh, and if you happen to go H/C/I in the future, with the six speed, hello 30+ mpg. I've read the information center to see it, wasn't dreamin it up. Also, just as a happy side note, C5 vettes with midrange miles and in good shape are goin for low to mid teens (13,500 low to 17,000) in the midwest. And we're not known for having really low prices on much of anything here. Just my .02
Old 07-28-2009, 04:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well, the main reason i would go with the vette is because there is another word that comes to mind when you think of vette and it also contains the letter v(vagina). if you had 10 hot chicks and told them you had a gto or a vette, no need to explain. on the other hand you can tightly fit 4 hot chicks in a gto, decisions decisions
Old 07-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

With pointiac not selling cars anymore idk what the value will be like in ten years. Do u want a sleeper? Cause the vette isnt one at all compared to a GTO.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nah I don't really care about the sleeper aspect. My biggest concern is the interior of a c5 but from what I've read it's much better than the fbody. I've seen about 5 modded Vettes for under $16.5k. I may be trading my Camaro for an 01 Prelude with 58k miles in September so if I do, I'll definately be getting a Vette next year as a "weekend car" so to speak and DD the Prelude to keep miles off the Vette.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

make sure u get some cash with that honda trade, even tho preludes are not too slow
Old 07-28-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My Camaro has 140k miles and has zr1s on it now so I doubt he's going to give cash on top of it. I'd just use it as a beater forever since it's low miles.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

2002 Z06 call it a day, if you dont need a back seat then the GTO has no other benefit for you.

it is heavier, slower, and more bugs in it strut rub, water in rocker panels etc...

Z06 is easier to work on, and tons of aftermarket support. 15-20k next year will definaltly put you in a 02-04.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd love to get either a SW 01 z06 or an EB 02 z06. I just don't a black or red one. I've owned 4 vehicles 2 were black and the others were red. I'm not picky on whether it's a coupe, frc, or z06 though. Just not a vert.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

vette
Old 07-29-2009, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Vette / thread

get the zo6 man you will regret it if you donttt...

Quick Reply: c5 or ls2 gto