General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Camaro amazed me again...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never ran mine that low, but with 161,xxx on the odometer, my auto pulled down 27 mpg last week back and forth to work. Bested my wife's turbo 4 Passat, with double the HP and TQ.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea these cars do well. My 00 Frc Corvette made it 40+ miles on almost e. The car does weigh only 31xx lbs and averages 30.1 mpg on highway. Most of the f-bodies i have owned have done well in these situations with low fuel.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My light comes on 13.3 gallons in. I know this tank holds more than that though.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KameleonTransAm
Just minus what it needed to fill it up from 16.8 and that's how many gallons you had left in her.

My car has 4 gallons left in it when the check gages light comes on, so I wouldn't worry about it.
yeah, i have a ton of gas when i'm that low. but then again, with the stall, i can also use a ton of gas if i'm not careful.

with the check gauges light comes on, i drive it for at least another 20-30 miles before i refill. even then i still have about 1.5 gallons left. part of the reason i do this is because i let my car sit for about a month or so at a time and i want to get rid of the older gas.

the pcm has a fuel tank sensor that transmits to the pcm. if you have something like hptuners, you can get a better idea of whats in there (hell, you can even calibrate your fuel gauge).
Old 08-11-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My question is, did you catch back up with the 350Z and the Foxbody? LOL
Old 08-11-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If that was me, I would have ran that bitch out of gas. No way I would have let 2 races pass by like that.

Let alone a MUSTANG!
Old 08-11-2009, 04:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That seems like it is always the case. I get chumps wanting to race when I'm low on gas, right after a ECU reset and it isn't running right yet, or when I'm trying to maximize MPG which always goes out the window in that case.

I ran my SS out of gas when I first got the car and I wasnt used to the crappy gauge. The car died at a drive thru, luckily the curb wasnt solid and I just pushed it to the parking lot. I didnt realize it was empty and thought the pump was gone so I called a tow truck and then it dawned on me. I ran to the 7-11 next door and got a jug and some gas, sure enough it started right up. I called the tow truck guy and cancelled and he was pissed. I was like "I dont need a tow, you want me to let you tow it and waste money just so you're not upset?"

I also made the mistake of letting a girlfriend borrow my other car when I was out of the country for 6 months. She ran it out of gas and didnt realize, cranked on it until the starter died, also killing the fuel pump, the alternator and battery were also replaced also dont know if it was related. Of course she didnt admit she ran it out of gas, I figured that out when I found the brand new gas jug in the trunk and the rest of the repairs made sense.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^
That is why I wouldn't let any chick i know drive the camaro, unless i know shes into cars.

Any time a friend asks to borrow a car occasionally, i always end up handing the keys to the CR-V. lol.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol i've ran mine past empty before... highway and all. brought her home and traveled past the expensive gas to get the cheaper kind. never died... went below E haha right now its almost touching E and i'll probably commute normally without filling up tomorrow
Old 08-12-2009, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

umm.. a car really purged its nitrous on the highway? how fast and the furious. *rolls eyes* i dont waste any gas on ricers. now a domestic's a different story.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^lol true that, I bought a purge kit and I thought Id use it all time. Hell it cost $50 to fill my bottle, I like to save as much as I can.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

I'm always letting mine dip down below E. I don't get worried unless there's space after the needle. Even then, I know I got a little ways to go before it's dry. I did run out once on the way to work, simply because I wasn't paying attention and forgot to go when I left the house.

Besides... she's her lightest when the tank's damn near empty
Old 08-13-2009, 06:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
^^
That is why I wouldn't let any chick i know drive the camaro, unless i know shes into cars.

Any time a friend asks to borrow a car occasionally, i always end up handing the keys to the CR-V. lol.

Yea I dont do it anymore, I'm very selective about who drives my car when I am with them now. My Camaro isnt the fastest, but it's more than average drivers are used to and I'm not letting some yahoo wrap it around a pole.