General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need Cam Advice... Please help me out...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Cam Advice... Please help me out...

I want go with a new cam... My question is.. I dont want anything considered extreme, I will be DD the car... I do want a nice cam lope though... Its a 6 speed.. My car is mostly stock.. Has a lid & bellows.. Some free mods and a cut out... Iam pretty sure i could get larger gains from just cam then a longtube install... Which is why i wanna do this first... Anyways looking for a mild cam that i can DD I will also be willing to change the valve springs as well if the size of the cam needs... Thanks! If anyone has one for sale.. Also let me know!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

My car is basically what you are talking about (mods and cam in sig). Sometimes it idles low for a few seconds at startup but then settles down. Otherwise it's fairly tame but you know it's cammed. The air conditioner adds just enough load to make it lope a little more. I don't DD mine but easily could and make almost as much power as the big cam cars. I will say that lower gears really help a cammed car in that it helps with bogging off the line.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will never see the potential of the cam unless you do the LT's first. I doubt there is one person on here who won't tell you the same thing. And LT's will make it sound much better too..........
Old 08-14-2009, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
You will never see the potential of the cam unless you do the LT's first. I doubt there is one person on here who won't tell you the same thing. And LT's will make it sound much better too..........
Well... I guess maybe i could do some Ebay headers... i dunno.. Even though you wouldnt see the full potential.. Wouldnt you still have bigger gains going with the cam first?
Old 08-14-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you would probably see bigger gains by installing the cam first, a tune would be recommended. but you won't notice the full potential of the cam until you let that LS1 breath with a set of LTs
Old 08-14-2009, 10:22 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Try the Gen III Internal Engine Forum...
Old 08-15-2009, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not save and do LT's, and a cam swap at the same time....?
Old 08-15-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

Jus do them at the same time, Pacesetters are cheap and work great.

I have the thunder racing trex cam in my car with stock heads and I daily drive it everyday rain or shine and its been great. Sometimes with AC on it will lope to much for my liking, I put down 423rwhp. When it comes to drivability its all in the tune man, I like driving the big cam more then I liked driving the stock one.