General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I Suck At Working On My Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 06:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not have any of these problems. My brother and I changed the drivers side window motor. Went smooth 1.5 hours start to finish.

Maybe I got lucky.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah if you're door is in good shape then it's not that big of a deal. But when someone fucked it up before you then you're screwed. The guy who owned my car before me did the motor and he chewed the **** out of every hole that was there. So I had a friend bondo up the holes and marked them and drilled them out. But of course it's never gonna be as strong as the first time. So had to get a plate fabbed up and riveted in to even hold the motor up.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1badWS6
The window motor was a ******* bitch and a half.... never again. Plugs and wires any ******* day over the window motor. My **** looked like someone tried to grind the rivets off with a chainshaw.
Hahahaha ok. If you ever need another window motor install, PM me and I'll gladly put you in a new one while you do the plugs/wires on my car lol.

Originally Posted by Scira
That was the worst experience of my life. I got the drivers side fine, the front on the pass side oook. Then the final two, no way. I ended up getting so frustrated I took it to a local shop and had them just install the last two plugs/wires. Best $20 ever spent lol
$20?? I would have been all over that too lol. I got quoted like $380 labor only from a stealership though, so I did it myself. I love how you never even see the back plug until its out
Old 08-17-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is definitly a two person job. One guy needs to just hold the window up. My install took about 1.5 and we rivetd the arms in the wrong order and had to do it twice. Now the tint is scratched on that window so it is apparently not perfect........
Old 08-17-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
It is definitly a two person job. One guy needs to just hold the window up. My install took about 1.5 and we rivetd the arms in the wrong order and had to do it twice. Now the tint is scratched on that window so it is apparently not perfect........
everyone is making this seem like this was the hardest install ever. i got this install done in under 2 hours, in the rain, and with shitty drill bits, and this was the first time i worked on my car or any other car for that matter. this is not a 2 person job; you can hold the window glass up with a scrap piece of wood. just place it between the bottom of the window and the bottom of the door
Old 08-17-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

I can second the piece of scrap wood
Old 08-18-2009, 07:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Roll-up Windows FTW.

Yea if you get frustrated take a break, drink a beer and try again. Trust me with all the **** that I have done I've thrown a few tools and said a few choice words..lol

I just did a K-member swap and when I was laying under it, it decided to slip out of one of the Lower Control Arms and smash into my hip. Yea some **** went flying..

Then I cooled down, found what wrenches went flying and took some agression back out on it..now it's in.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

Took about 2 hours or so to do mine. Luckily the previous owner already had the rivets drilled out so I just had to replace the motor. I think I may have to do my passenger side window motor soon.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slayerized6
everyone is making this seem like this was the hardest install ever. i got this install done in under 2 hours, in the rain, and with shitty drill bits, and this was the first time i worked on my car or any other car for that matter. this is not a 2 person job; you can hold the window glass up with a scrap piece of wood. just place it between the bottom of the window and the bottom of the door
I kind of agree. I think the first one took me 1.5hr, the second one took me 45min. (They both went out at the same time... my luck eh? )

I think I just jammed a rubber door stop between the window and door and left it fully up. Drilling out rivets is cake, I don't see what the big deal is there....hell that's actually easier then having a nut/bolt that you have to get wrenches on.

I mean yeah it's a pain in the ***, but not anything you really have to think about. Just take apart and put back together.

If you want something to bitch about replace your oil pump and have fun with that little bolt holding the pickup on! You'll find fishing line can be a lifesaver!!!

EDIT: I did forget about the access hole you have to drill to get to one of the rivets, that's where LS1tech is your friend and you can find the exact location to drill right here on the net!!!
Old 08-18-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to hear man. It's bad news if you aren't good at it, you get better with practice. Sometimes these cars (most cars) require a bit of tech. knowledge/ skills to maintain. The motor swap was fairly straight-forward when I did mine a few weeks ago. Gl, hang in there!

-SS
Old 08-19-2009, 03:08 AM
Launching!

I wouldn't say it's a two-man job, but it's WAY easier with two people.

I'm giving it a 2nd try so that my motor will work the way it's supposed too. I got the door off in 10 minutes instead of 45 this time, and tomorrow I'm gonna be re-working the screws and washers.

The big project is going to be fixing the door panel. I'm going to have to get some more screws, some plastic and an extended lighter(to melt the plastic).

I am dreading the spark plug/wire change. I've heard nothing but horror stories about them.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr CHI
I am dreading the spark plug/wire change. I've heard nothing but horror stories about them.
13 min for me.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

Whenever I'm about to do something I've never done or afraid I'll F*ck up, I ask one of the local F-body guys to come and watch/talk me through it. That way if I start to mess something up he can stop/help me through it.
I've gotten SO much help off this and other local sites! It's probably saved me over $1000 in labor!

Scott
Old 08-22-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say I'm pretty good working om my cars. I already changed out spark plugs on a lt1 TA, water pump and water hose. On my LS1 WS6 I already changed out my water pump power steering pump and fixed the headlight motor. I did the temporary fix on the headlight and now is grinding again.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Launching!

*Update*

After a few more hours, I got the motor tight and working right.

After a few minutes with a pack of plastic pens and an extended lighter, I was able to get the plastic tabs back together.

Took a trip trip to Menards and spent $3 on a pack of screws/nuts and got the door back tight again.

Also got the Nitto 555's mounted and aligned.

I tested all the newly installed products very extensively.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by zamora7
On my LS1 WS6 I already changed out my water pump power steering pump and fixed the headlight motor. I did the temporary fix on the headlight and now is grinding again.
Headlight motor fix was done today and it was a breeze. Also attempted to bleed my brakes, and now they don't work at all. So I've got to find out what's up with that.

Spark plugs and wires have gotta get changed too, and that's a shop job. But I cant even get the car to the shop because it has no brakes.

Anybody else do some wrenching with unexpected results lately?
Old 09-06-2009, 02:33 AM
TECH Addict

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

Took me two hours or so first try.

Drill the rivets, put new screws in.. or more rivets.. whatever you want to do.

I make a point to look up a write up before I start taking things apart. I like to know what I'm getting myself into. Look around on the internet next time before you start a project .. just for the hints and clues on how to make it MUCH easier.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Took me about 2 hours, including running to autozone twice.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Took me between 1 and 2 hrs...hardest part was not being able to see inside...I was pretty much doing it by feel. But, once everything was lined up correctly, it wasn't too bad.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

I did this on the drivers side a few years ago. I'm not handy either.
I reinstalled the left right for the mirror backwards and either forgot or couldn't
do that little light. I used blue locktight on the screws and bolts. It's not
100% correct but it works so I'm happy.